Endmills with Longer Cutting Length

Thread: Endmills with Longer Cutting Length

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Endmills with Longer Cutting Length

Have to cut with my cnc a few complicated curves on a 3/4" plywood but my problem is I must use a max OD of 1/8” endmill in order to cut the curves right but the 1/8” endmills I got they all have a 1/2" cutting length which means the cut will not go thru the 3/4” ply.

Searching I noticed all 1/8” endmills come with 1/2" long cutting length (to be clear that’s the end of the endmill which does the actual cutting)

What’s the solution? Perhaps there are 1/8” endmills out there with longer cutting lengths but I don’t see them. An alternative will be to flip the ply and complete the cut from the other side but I’m afraid of misalignment problems. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Endmills with Longer Cutting Length

Try one of these: https://www.idcwoodcraft.com/product...-down-cut-bit/ But realize that the reason you don't see many like this is because the bit will deflect severely in use, since the part with the flutes is so thin. I'd suggest doing as much as possible with a larger cutter, and just using these for a finishing pass, preferably several at increasing depths.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the link and I agree with you, will do what I can with a larger cutter and finish the tight curves with my endmill. My depth of cut is 1/16” per pass at about 40 IPM. Will still have to flip the ply over and cut what is not through with a jigsaw.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

One option is a reduced neck tool bit. A small amount is ground from the diameter of the tool above the cutting flutes. This provides clearance for doing multiple passes but without needing longer flutes. Longer flutes reduce tool stiffness.

Unfortunately reduced neck tooling is not that common (I think it should be standard).

https://www.helicaltool.com/products...neck-end-mills

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Destiny Tools 1/8th tools and they are cylindrical with 14mm (9/16ths) flute length. Given that they are cylindrical then
    I'll let them hang out of the tool holder a little more and cut to 25mm depth. Its not ideal but it works certainly in soft materials,
    boring in that far in steel would most likely fail.

Reduced shank would be nice, but a 1/8th shank is flexy enough without reducing it further!

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Reduced neck sound a good idea and what Craig said is even better because 9/16” = 0.5625” which is much more than I need. Searching Destiny Tools offers no contact for their distributors so I have to find out where I can buy one of their endmills in US / Canada

Thanks for the help.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    no, 9/16 will not cut through 3/4 in one pass.

I buy small tools for PCBs from this company and they often stock Destiny Tools products, not cheap but I like them.

https://www.ebay.com/str/carbideplus....m47492.l74602

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Harvey Tools do ultra long 1/8th tools.
    At 6x that is .75 inch flute length, ie your 3/4 in one pass, but they do x8, x9, x 10, x12 and right out to x15....take your pick.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endmills with Longer Cutting Length-harveytools-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the links Craig, very interesting but for now I will not buy anything because the shipping cost of anything is ridiculous high. A $6.99 switch from Ohio to Canada was $49.00 + taxes and when I asked why so high they said that’s what the shipping companys quoted.

Kind of confusing with the cnczone / industryarena forums, I’m register in both with the same ID’s but when I want to post in industryarena it says error…. something. I wonder if I should “unregister” from cnczone and stay only with industryarena.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    A $6.99 switch from Ohio to Canada was $49.00 + taxes and when I asked why so high they said that’s what the shipping companys quoted.
    Then find a different way to ship it!

You guys are supposed to be in a free trade agreement with the US and you can't post stuff back and forth across the border???

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

The $49.00 shipping was with UPS ground, with USPS (US postal service) and FedEx was more! I bought instead something similar from China about $9.00 shipping included. Shipping from US to Canada used to be dirt cheap but about 10 years ago the US postal union went on strike and after they got what they wanted my shipping cost went astronomically high and now I don’t buy anything from US.

Oliver Tools from eBay charge $15.00 to ship from US to Canada.

Never understood the Free Trade agreement between US/Canada but I think it only applies to products regardless what they are and has nothing to do with the cost of shipping. For example automotive parts made in Canada had high tariffs to be exported to US but with the free trade these tariffs were eliminated.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Oliver Tools and they send my stuff to Oregon, cost $8USD to $12USD. Thereafter NZ Post ship it to New Zealand for me. A minimum charge of $29NZD (approx $20USD) applies,
    but that's a 14000km flight to New Zealand. I reckon you guys are being ripped.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    Have to cut with my cnc a few complicated curves on a 3/4" plywood but my problem is I must use a max OD of 1/8” endmill in order to cut the curves right but the 1/8” endmills I got they all have a 1/2" cutting length which means the cut will not go thru the 3/4” ply.

Searching I noticed all 1/8” endmills come with 1/2" long cutting length (to be clear that’s the end of the endmill which does the actual cutting)

What’s the solution? Perhaps there are 1/8” endmills out there with longer cutting lengths but I don’t see them. An alternative will be to flip the ply and complete the cut from the other side but I’m afraid of misalignment problems. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Can you use a Tapered .5° taper End Mill like this https://www.harveytool.com/products/tool-details-20599 if so, you will have plenty of cut length?

Here is one also with 1" loc eBay item number:225278944531 this is from a good Ebay supplier.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You may already be covered here but I really like the YG 4 Flute Basix End Mills. They would offer a 1/8" Diameter x 3/4" LOC 4FL Carbide End Mill that would be ideal for your ply application that is $8 an end mill. We have found the Uncoated Basix End Mills work well in Wood or Aluminum/Plastics. The Coated versions work well in Steels and are a good price point for a general purpose end mill (for high performance in steels/stainless you would want to go to a Variable Pitch End Mill). Here is info on it, I checked and our shipping cost to Canada is around $40. I wish it was less, but there should be options in Canada for this YG End Mill to keep shipping costs down (just look up YG Part # E5H92008):
    https://www.toolhit.com/products/e5h92008

Thanks!

Mike

www.toolhit.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ToolHIT View Post
    You may already be covered here but I really like the YG 4 Flute Basix End Mills. They would offer a 1/8" Diameter x 3/4" LOC 4FL Carbide End Mill that would be ideal for your ply application that is $8 an end mill. We have found the Uncoated Basix End Mills work well in Wood or Aluminum/Plastics. The Coated versions work well in Steels and are a good price point for a general purpose end mill (for high performance in steels/stainless you would want to go to a Variable Pitch End Mill). Here is info on it, I checked and our shipping cost to Canada is around $40. I wish it was less, but there should be options in Canada for this YG End Mill to keep shipping costs down (just look up YG Part # E5H92008):
    https://www.toolhit.com/products/e5h92008
    Thanks! Mike
    Thanks Mike for the info but thats my point, I refuse to pay such a high shipping cost and I know thats out of your control but on my side I find recently shipping from China to Canada is the lest expensive way to get what I want. It may take much longer but I can wait.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi, Then find a different way to ship it! You guys are supposed to be in a free trade agreement with the US and you can't post stuff back and forth across the border??? Craig
    Sorry Craig, why you dont go to this link and give me a hand?

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...ml#post2549956

Thanks

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Resurrecting and old thread, but SpeTool on Amazon has 1/8" O-Flute carbide bits in 3/4" (5pack $25) cutting length. Since they are single flute they don't pack up with chips as bad. You would have to do fairly small stepdowns or the bit will snap.

https://spetools.com/collections/o-f...g-diameter_1-8

I've never used their site since the prices are higher than Amazon but their shipping policy says $6 shipping to Canada. https://spetools.com/pages/shipping-policy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 6061billet View Post
    Resurrecting and old thread, but SpeTool on Amazon has 1/8" O-Flute carbide bits in 3/4" (5pack $25) cutting length. Since they are single flute they don't pack up with chips as bad. You would have to do fairly small stepdowns or the bit will snap. https://spetools.com/collections/o-f...g-diameter_1-8
    I've never used their site since the prices are higher than Amazon but their shipping policy says $6 shipping to Canada. https://spetools.com/pages/shipping-policy
    Thanks for taking the time mate, a good site to know about and I will use it next time

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kolias,
    Make a relief at end of end mill flute length (shank relief) and make depth cut short or desirable amount. every depth cut should have a rough and finish if needed. this way you can reach to maximum length without shanking. I have done it and it worked better and more rigged than long flute length. Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Sevak,