RPM & Feed Rate for a Cut

Thread: RPM & Feed Rate for a Cut

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RPM & Feed Rate for a Cut

My project is not related to any signmaking, it’s a hobby project cutting an abstract design on a piece of 18”x18”x1/4” thick MDF to test my new 3 axis 4 motors table cnc router.

I will be using a 1/8” flat end carbite endmill, 2 flutes (I also have single flute). The endmill is quite small, 2” total length and never used before such a small endmill.

I will say having the spindle at 5K RPM will be sufficient and the feed rate at about 30 IPM. The depth of the cut will be 1/16” and I may go to 1/8” total depth in 2 passes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RPM & Feed Rate for a Cut

Hi Kolias- What is the power and max rpm of the spindle? Peter

according to the chart attached the chipload should be around 0.0055" say 0.006" which for me is 0.14mm. Your chipload is CL=feed/RPM/N 30/5000/2= 0.003" (0.076mm) which is small so the tool does not have enough bite on the material so will just skid blunting the tool. So your about half the chart value so double your speed to 60in/min or go to 2500rpm or use a 1F tool. If the spindle has enough power it should do a 1/8" DOC. This also is based upon the spindle/machine is stiff enough.... Keep the tool short I have broken a few 1/8" tools because of long set tools.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RPM  & Feed Rate for a Cut-chip-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 10-20-2022 at 06:00 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks peteeng for your time and the chart you posted is most useful,

My spindle is a Taig ER16 headstock belt driven by a Sherline 90VDC, 0.75HP motor. Max RPM I can get from it is 11500RPM.

I used the Taig on a lathe few years back and then decided to scrap the lathe and build the cnc I now have. I built the cnc with 3/8” and 1/2" aluminum plate/flatbars with slide rails and ball screws and is quite solid. I may go later on with a water cooled spindle along with a VFD.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kolias- The tool manufactures publish cutting specs for their tools. This is the best starting data. Peter

https://www.woodshopnews.com/columns...ring-chip-load

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Kolias- The tool manufactures publish cutting specs for their tools. This is the best starting data. Peter

Thanks again Peter, wonderful documents you introduced me and is much appreciated

Nicolas

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Kolias- The tool manufactures publish cutting specs for their tools. This is the best starting data. Peter connections game

Thank you.