Advice Needed Cutting Hundreds of small pieces from Pine Board

Thread: Advice Needed Cutting Hundreds of small pieces from Pine Board

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Advice Needed Cutting Hundreds of small pieces from Pine Board

Hello. I need to cut many small pieces (80mm length) like this https://i.imgur.com/lbFrBjh.jpg , the material would be 26mm Pine Wood (cemented pine board), any recommendation for specific bits? techniques? is there any change to go in 2 passes only?
    -should use ramping (I'm trying to save the sanding stage as much as possible) ?
    -I have few different bits, the best I've found was a 'straight end mill' (1/4''), maybe there's a specific one which is better for cutting soft pine?
    (no pocketing invoveled, only cuts)
    any advice is well appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Advice Needed Cutting Hundreds of small pieces from Pine Board

Hello.

Correct me if I´m wrong. Your problem are the external vertices. The internals are easy to obtain. Use any tool with a diameter less than that of the channel. Half of it would make it good. That same tool can be used to make most of the channels except for the vertices.

Depending on how sharp you need those vertices you would have to use small diameter tools.

From a manufacturing point of view it might be easier to hand finish the parts.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

The image purpose was to show the cut part as part of the board. so theres no issue with the internal corner. (see part "1" https://i.imgur.com/sdz9euq.png)
    im just not sure what cutting bit to use. should i try to avoid tabs? is there any other special procedure with pine to avoid tear-out?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ramping is hardly ever a bad idea.More of a concern is holding the small parts in place as the last pass separates them from the parent piece.Even with a vacuum table they are too small to remain in place and will be likely to move and suffer damage to the edges.You could leave holding tabs,but this gets you into the position of having to cut the tabs and finish the stubs they leave.I would also query the layout of the pieces,you should rotate alternate pieces 180 degrees and move them a bit closer together to save an amount of material.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would use material that's around 2mm thicker than final part size.
    Cut the parts 1mm thicker than needed so they are still connected by 1mm at the bottom.
    Flip the whole thing over and pop them all out.
    Skim the 2mm excess off the underneath of each part.
    Or something like that.

That's if you can.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello.

I quite agree with dazp1976 except that I´d try to make the tabs at about half the thickness of the workpiece. In the end you will have to hand cut and file them but any left chipping will be mostly hidden due to their position.

You have to make sure that your machine has an accurate set of homing sensors as that will guarantee that both the front and rear processes match correctly. You will need of course to have two different programs one for each side unless your software can do mirroring.

After checking your posted picture I noticed that the inclined side looks ragged. Is it so? If it is, may I suggest that you check that you are cutting in the right direction according to the flutes in your cutting bit? That is, cutting instead of ripping.

The microstepping selection may also need to be considered.

Also check your transmissions for possible slippage in particular at the couplings.

Regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Soft pine is not the best of materials for minimal tear-out and you need sharp tools to help avoid it.For 26mm thick material I would use tabs about3-4mm thick and about 7mm long.I don't think I would be too keen to use dazp1976's technique If I had more than about ten parts to make as it would work but you still have the problem of holding hundreds of small parts as the break free from the sheet.I might be more inclined to machine a piece of 6mm ply with recesses to hold the pieces and rough trimmed tabs and then run a trimming router round them in batches.

Downloads
    Uploads

This 'cemented pine board' must be edge-glued clear pine or else you would be mentioning knots.
    The least edge tear-out means small diameter tool, sharp cutting edges, and finish passes. Climb cutting can also help. A straight bit can work well. For top/bottom tear-out there are other solutions,
    I battle this when cutting gears for wooden clocks and sometimes it feels like it comes down to a lucky piece of wood and the alignment of the planets
    Clocks are fussy work and my methods may bring your productivity down to near zero.

I'm with dazp1976 when it comes to tabs, I avoid them when possible.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another holding option is blue painters tape and CA glue. Combine this with leaving an onion skin (.005" to .01" thick bottom layer). You may need to experiment with the thickness. This can easily be cleaned up.