Need Help! Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure

Thread: Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure

Default Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure

Hey G'day Folks,

Got this given to me for my birthday today, told its Cypruss...... with an unsure look. I don't know what Cypruss looks like.

Don't know if I should just machine and sand or maybe use it for a carving. Has some very nice features.

Cheers,
    Steve

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure-wood-02_resize-jpeg   Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure-wood-01_resize-jpeg   Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure-wood-03_resize-jpeg   Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure-wood-04_resize-jpeg  

Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure-wood-05_resize-jpeg  

Default Re: Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure

Elm maybe?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never knowingly used Cypress so can't confirm or deny that possibility.You are probably aware that elm is known for it's burrs and you certainly have a burr in front of the camera.Do you have a piece of the tree with normal grain for comparison?The first of the images shows some of the characteristics I would expect from elm and the smell would help to confirm it-but you can't post a fragrance sample.One other thing that might help is including a location.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I have never knowingly used Cypress so can't confirm or deny that possibility.You are probably aware that elm is known for it's burrs and you certainly have a burr in front of the camera.Do you have a piece of the tree with normal grain for comparison?The first of the images shows some of the characteristics I would expect from elm and the smell would help to confirm it-but you can't post a fragrance sample.One other thing that might help is including a location.
    Ill take a photo, of the grain from the side will try to smell it as well. location Victoria Australia. But no guarantee it came from Victoria.

Will post picture tomorrow.,

Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't look like cypress, but it;s hard to tell because it's a burl, and the non burl part is not clean enough to really see.

Here are some pictures of cypress.

Australian cypress

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It doesn't look like cypress, but it;s hard to tell because it's a burl, and the non burl part is not clean enough to really see.

Australian cypress
    Hey Ger G'day,

It doesn't look like cypress, Ill take some photos of the end grain and squirt some water where theres not burl to see what it reveals.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

Australian cypress
    Here we go two more pics, where there is no burl and as good a shot of the end grain as I could.
    Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure-wood-06_resize-jpg
    Timber identification, told its Cypruss, but I'm not sure-wood-07_resize-jpg