Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted

Thread: Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted

Hey guys,

Having some issues with milling this very, very soft wood on our router table.

I am currently running a down cut, 2 flute carbide end mill @ 12k rpm and 80ipm (slowed down because of blowouts and still having issues)

This is balsa wood, HAAS router table w/ vacuum and we do not have these issues with any other type of wood.

looking for suggestions on end mills or anything I can do to help prevent these issues.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted-img_20200304_110056-jpg   Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted-img_20200304_110100-jpg   Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted-img_20200304_110107-jpg   Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted-img_20200304_110133-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted

Looks like my attachments did no come through correct, here is a google folder with pictures.

Cheers!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TXjD7gej9AJoqSbp7

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Issues with soft wood on router table // End mill suggestions wanted

No direct knowledge of cutting balsa on a CNC, but sharp tooling will probably be part of the solution. I would try HSS as opposed to carbide as HSS will present a sharper edge. Any sign of degradation in the cut warrants a change to fresh tooling. Also, single flute tooling??? Others will have to weigh in regarding feeds/speeds.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Marv,

Current Carbide tool seems pretty sharp still.

All I have for HSS and Single flute end mills will be up cut, I'll throw them in and see what happens.

My fear is that the up flute will make it worse and if im going to buy some end mills was hoping to get some hand on reviews.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

And check the 2nd post for a google drive with the photos, not sure what happened to the original attachments

Downloads
    Uploads

Try new HSS cutters; they start out sharper than carbide (but don't stay sharp as long). Balsa is difficult to machine because while the fibers are strong, their attachment to each other is weak, so the material tends to tear out. Is that the only material that will work for your project? Paulownia is another wood you might consider; it's almost as light as balsa but not as stringy - it hangs together much better.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Brandon,
    Make sure you're buying HSS router bits, not end mills. The geometry will be different. You may also want to see if Onsrud Cutter lists tooling for balsa in their tooling table (for feeds and speeds). My sense is there may be a very narrow sweet spot to accomplish what your trying to do. Let us know how it goes.