another clock - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: another clock

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

balsaman,
    I just downloaded the DXF files for clock1, but the files are all 2D graphs. How can I convert them to 3D solids so I can generate toolpaths?

Downloads
    Uploads

No need. Cut them 2 D. That is what I did.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool free cnc clock plans

You can get free plans in dxf format from my website.
    http://www.pathcom.com/~u1068740/index.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another clock-assembly_stages-gif  
    gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey woodman13 - Balsaman -
    Any ideas on what changes are required to make a 24 hour clock version of the same setup?
    Looking for 4 minutes per degree of sweep on the "hour" hand. It would be pointing to the Solar Grenwich Hour Angle (for those sailors/navigators out there) and the "minute hand" could sweep over the 4 minute period. Any idea on the changes in the gearing to do that?
    Sort of surprised that that type of chronometer hasn't sparked some activity.
    The "NET" - New Earth Time - is really the 'old' earth time.
    cheers - Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 24 hour clock

A 24 hour clock should be easy to do.

It's just gear ratios.

On most clocks there is a shaft that turns once every 60 minutes. This is called the second hand.

A second shaft turns at a 12 to 1 ratio to this shaft. It makes one revolution every 12 hours and is refered to as the hour hand.

So you just have to increase the ratio to 24 to 1 and voila a 24 hour clock.

Hope this helps.

Do you mind if I add some of your pic to my website Balsaman?
    gary

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

feel free

eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Woodman,

I stole your "spokes" and added them to Brian laws gears for my clocks. Thanks!

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'm hooked!!
    I just found this site a few minutes ago and already you have changed my assperations.
    I'm in the process of building my CNC router/ engraver. Have all the bearings, ball lead screws, steppers and control board. Just waiting for my power supply.
    You see, my wife collects clocks and, although I migrate to more creative things, her interests have rubbed off on me a bit.
    Although I've seen this clocks before, I had never thought of actually making the parts and building one.
    This is exciting (my wife is actually going to think that this 'hobby' is a pretty good idea).
    You'll be hearing from me.
    Thanks
    Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI i started one a gear clock out of a scroll saw mag from last year ,it is surpose to be a 30hr clock,my problem is cutting birch plywood nasty crap to cut .the 1/8 bits burn up quick ive tryed carbide & high speed steel .if any one has a ideal let me know ,im running a diy cnc router with a 1hp bouch router mounted with vcarve pro.ive played with feeds & speeds ,also single tooth bits to 4 flute carbide.mdf mite be the way to go ,cause you said somthing about only winding the clock to show some one it works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KLR View Post
    HI i started one a gear clock out of a scroll saw mag from last year ,it is surpose to be a 30hr clock,my problem is cutting birch plywood nasty crap to cut .the 1/8 bits burn up quick ive tryed carbide & high speed steel .if any one has a ideal let me know ,im running a diy cnc router with a 1hp bouch router mounted with vcarve pro.ive played with feeds & speeds ,also single tooth bits to 4 flute carbide.mdf mite be the way to go ,cause you said somthing about only winding the clock to show some one it works.
    Hi KLR,

I do my experimentation using cheap 5mm birch plywood from Home Depot. It has 3 inner plys of a relatively hard wood (possibly doug fir) surrounded by 2 very thin birch outer layers. True baltic birch plywood is much more uniform. All layers are birch, so it has less of a tendancy to warp. It also costs about 5X more, but overall the cost is small compared to the time invested.

I use cheap 1/8" 2 flute spiral upcut carbide endmills that I got from Enco for around $3-$4 each. They are probably rated for cutting metal, but they do OK on wood. I get better results with cutters designed for wood, but they seem to cost around $10 or more. I probably get around 30-60 minutes of cutting time per bit. The edges start getting really fuzzy when the bit starts getting dull. It takes a bit longer before it starts to burn.

I also use a Bosch Colt trim router. I cut around 30 inches per minute at a speed setting somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of max. I would like to make some adjustments to my machine to get the cutting speeds up to around 60 inches per minute.

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123