LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1 - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1

  1. #21
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1328
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    Take a look at this and the other suggest youtube pieces:
    I'm not gonna be able to mount anything on end like he did at this time..

    Although I have already been thinking that when I build the steel table it would be nice to have a pocket in the middle with a clamping system that would allow me to do so...

    So for now, Louie's method is intriguing...

    [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/124543-mountaincrafts_router_plasma_build_thread.html"][U]4' x 8' CNC Wood Router Project[/U][/URL]
    [U][URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/woodworking/135576-home_made_drum_sander.html"]Home Made Drum Sander Project[/URL][/U]


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    I'm not gonna be able to mount anything on end like he did at this time..

    Although I have already been thinking that when I build the steel table it would be nice to have a pocket in the middle with a clamping system that would allow me to do so...

    So for now, Louie's method is intriguing...
    I have to get the file off my shop computer first, and then I'll upload it here. I do have it psoted on the Vectric forum.

    If you decide to make a vertical clamping jig for your router, I suggest putting it on one end, to simplify loading/unloading. The vertical method is definitely the more efficient way!

    One thing that would help: milling the "bevel" or "draft" with an 30 degree bit using the coventional method is slow, and there's a risk of breaking the bit tip. I'm looking into programming the paths in OneCNC using its open pocket toolpaths, where I approach the final shape from the outside in, and rest-machine the sharp corners. Or better yet, if I made a 3D model of the joint, I could rough out the part, including draft, with a straight bit, and finish off with the V bit. Of course, when I have the time...

    Also, this maybe one job where HSS bits may actually be better, since thwy won't chip as easily as carbide, are sharper initially at least, and cheaper to replace when dull.



  3. #23
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    663
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0


  4. #24
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1328
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    First of all.. Thanks for that link.. Bookmarked! And very awesome!

    But still, most of those don't allow the joint to be appreciated from the outside of the box by the casual viewer... even though they are beautiful and obviously seriously strong joints.. The cool thing about Dovetails, is that they capture the eye.. especially if two different woods are used..

    I just need to figure out how to use the ideas on that page so that they are visible from the outside of the joint.. Because they are definitely cool and organic and strong and doable with CNC...

    Although they presented 'one' idea that was 'somewhat' like a dovetail in the aspect of being visible... Nonetheless..Very cool and worth exploring... a couple of the more complex butt joints would look really nice with different woods...

    [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/124543-mountaincrafts_router_plasma_build_thread.html"][U]4' x 8' CNC Wood Router Project[/U][/URL]
    [U][URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/woodworking/135576-home_made_drum_sander.html"]Home Made Drum Sander Project[/URL][/U]


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    136
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    This is exactly what I have been searching for!!!
    Many of us CNCers did not build their machines with an overhanging portion which allows the manufacturing of Dovetails and I can not afford Dovetail DrawerCAD which allow you to do what Louie has done.
    However using Dovetail DrawerCAD you need to purchase a special expensive tool, using Louie’s solution you don't!
    I can’t wait to try this when I get back from my holidays!
    And doesn’t that Celtic Knot the Dovetail example is sitting on look great; Louie do you have a better picture of that somewhere; I would not mind cutting a Trivet with that on.

    WELL DONE LOUIE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!



  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithstanley View Post
    This is exactly what I have been searching for!!!
    Many of us CNCers did not build their machines with an overhanging portion which allows the manufacturing of Dovetails and I can not afford Dovetail DrawerCAD which allow you to do what Louie has done.
    However using Dovetail DrawerCAD you need to purchase a special expensive tool, using Louie’s solution you don't!
    I can’t wait to try this when I get back from my holidays!
    And doesn’t that Celtic Knot the Dovetail example is sitting on look great; Louie do you have a better picture of that somewhere; I would not mind cutting a Trivet with that on.

    WELL DONE LOUIE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
    Thanks! I have a pic of the Celtic knot along with other stuff on my build thread in the DUT CNC router section....



  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I'll be revisiting this in the following weeks, as the need has arose. I don't feel like setting up my IncraJig system and am looking to sell it. Stay tuned...



  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8082
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Good deal! I'm watching....

    CarveOne

    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    136
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I'm watching too!!!!!



  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1915
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Hi, I just stumbled on this thread. Thanks for posting about the joint build, and the links to other joint forms.

    Harry



  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Thanks Harry. I was to devote more time to this, but a co-worker who had surgery a while back will be out for longer than expected, so I have more overtime hours to deal with...



  12. #32
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    528
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default File Attached

    I found Louies original file on the Vectric forums and I am reposting it here with his permission.

    I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking forward to trying this technique.

    Attached Files Attached Files
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

    36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver


  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jharvey407 View Post
    I found Louies original file on the Vectric forums and I am reposting it here with his permission.

    I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking forward to trying this technique.
    Thanks James! I'd really like to work on this some more, and hope others do and maybe improve on the technique.



  14. #34
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    528
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Thanks James! I'd really like to work on this some more, and hope others do and maybe improve on the technique.
    First of all Thank You for developing the technique and for sharing it with the community.

    I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet, but I am really looking forward to giving it a try.

    James

    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

    36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver


  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    140
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I just stumbled upon this and am fascinated. Like others, it will take me some time to understand exactly what is going on. Thanks for sharing this. Has anyone progressed with this technique at all? I originally was searching for a way of making a cube out of 1/2" material with hidden joints on the cnc (still searching for a way to do this without revealing holes), but if I can get this to work I'll be extremely happy.

    Coming up with this takes a level of 3 dimensional thinking I'm not sure many are capable of. Well done. Do you have any more projects done with this Louie?

    Thanks again,
    Rich



  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    I just stumbled upon this and am fascinated. Like others, it will take me some time to understand exactly what is going on. Thanks for sharing this. Has anyone progressed with this technique at all? I originally was searching for a way of making a cube out of 1/2" material with hidden joints on the cnc (still searching for a way to do this without revealing holes), but if I can get this to work I'll be extremely happy.

    Coming up with this takes a level of 3 dimensional thinking I'm not sure many are capable of. Well done. Do you have any more projects done with this Louie?

    Thanks again,
    Rich
    Rich,

    I have used this on a few projects, but being extremely busy I hadn't the time nor presence to take pics. I solved the fitment issues by thicknessing the material on the CNC, and tweaking the outline to account for the tip width (about .005 or so IIRC.) A long while back I proposed using an auxiliary table slanted at 15 degrees, Jerry has actually created a jig and software that utilizes the tilted table. It may not work if your Z clearance won't allow it, though you could "hang" that auxiliary table off the front edge. Gerry also has a program for a vertical-clamped solution.



  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1

    I've been working on joints that can be CNC'd flat recently and I was trying to understand this joint. I created a Fusion 360 model that I think emulates the joint so I thought I would share. https://a360.co/3g4L27B



  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5516
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1

    Quote Originally Posted by iporty View Post
    I've been working on joints that can be CNC'd flat recently and I was trying to understand this joint. I created a Fusion 360 model that I think emulates the joint so I thought I would share. https://a360.co/3g4L27B
    Haven't revisited this thread in a long time. Your design would work, probably better than mine, though that's not exactly how mine works. The issue I had was I only had 2D CAD/CAM and you really couldn't do true 3D in VCarve Pro, hence I designed it as such.



  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1

    For a while I've been interested in figuring out how to machine attractive 90 degree joints on the flat so I appreciate the work @louietienza has done and was happy to discover this thread.

    I created a design that allows one to CNC finger joints only mounting the stock flat, with no gaps. It uses a combination of straight, roundover and ballnose bits. It only requires machining on one side, and I'm thinking that the finger joints will be of comparable strength even though they don't have the mechanical lock. I'm hoping it will be an efficient way to make a large batch of small drawers for myself. I'm still waiting for my CNC and I'm currently unable to go back to work and use the CNC there, so for now all I have is the Fusion 360 simulation.
    It's a parametric design in Fusion 360 so you can adjust the dimensions, board thickness, number of fingers and it will recalculate automatically. Unfortunately the CAM will not necessarily recalculate, but the design should have all the right contours for the CAM operations.
    I'm interested in what solutions other's have come up with.

    Short explanation video


    Design file
    https://a360.co/3g4L27B



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1

LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1

LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1