Advice for CNC plasma cutter

Thread: Advice for CNC plasma cutter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Advice for CNC plasma cutter

I am very new to this CNC world of machines so I thoroughly apologize for asking such basic and limited questions. I am looking to set up a very basic cnc plasma cutter in my shop for making some simple parts. Does anyone know if this is worth $1000 to get started on?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-Router-Laser...QQcmdZViewItem

I would have liked to build my own but if anyone thinks this can do the job I would be more than happy to purchase it. What, if any, other components would I need other than a torch height controller? What should I be expecting to pay for a simple plasma cnc setup?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by yellow; 09-20-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can see where this would make a nice router table. I question how appropriate it would be for plasma. The leadscrew design will limit your top speeds. You need speed (up to 300 IPM) for plasma cutting. Plasma dust is very abrasive and does nasty things to ballscrews. The screws are exposed. I see the reserve is almost 2000.00 I suspect it will go for more than that. You will then need to build a torch holder and a cutting bed. Don't forget the plasma unit itself.

Check the list for the free plasma table designs from Mlaws and maybe contact him about the best way to proceed. There was a recent thread about the actual target cost of a plasma system in the forum a few days ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow Costs For Plasma CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    There was a recent thread about the actual target cost of a plasma system in the forum a few days ago.
    For the cost information Torchead is referring to, use this link, then go to post #68
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=14488&page=5

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I spoke to the manufacturer today and he advised against using it for any type of steel cutting. He explained that the deflection on steel cutting would be too great for the machine and suggested I looked for something a little better. Nice guy. Guess its time to start sourcing parts for a homebuilt machine.