Need Help! Chinese Breakout Boards

Thread: Chinese Breakout Boards

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Chinese Breakout Boards

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question, has anyone had experience of this cheap breakout board please?

CNC 5 Axis Breakout Board interface for Stepper Motor Driver Mill/Input Power:5V | eBay

I'm an electronics engineer and was thinking of making a taylormade board myself, but at this price it's hardly worth the effort.

Eventually I'll upgrade to an ESS Smooth Stepper and 3 of these, but for initial playing around I thought this would be a start at least. I've got 3 Geckodrives for my steppers already.

Thanks

Graham

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have one of those on my mill drill and it has worked just fine for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Graham ,

the breakout boards do work but like the tb6560 boards they do break a few design rules

not connecting a +5V supply to pin 14 of one of the 74HC14 IC's
    or not connecting the unused input pin 13 to 0V or +5V - OK for a 7414 but not the CMOS version !!!!
    the 1K resistors connecting the 74HC244 output to the boards enable output terinals could be a problem with some stepper drivers

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Breakout Boards-cnc-5-axis-bob-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john_100 View Post
    Hi Graham ,

the breakout boards do work but like the tb6560 boards they do break a few design rules

or not connecting the unused input pin 13 to 0V or +5V - OK for a 7414 but not the CMOS version !!!!
    the 1K resistors connecting the 74HC244 output to the boards enable output terinals could be a problem with some stepper drivers

John
    Thanks Guys.. John in particular that's very helpful, thanks. Nothing there that can't be fixed easily, so all in all a good buy at under £10.00

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Graham ,

the circuit notes are my attempt to fill in some of the details missing from the breakout boards manual ,eg the signals on the 9 , 11 and 13 pin connectors

John

PS on the board there is a resistor thats only connected to one terminal ! -
    its one of the seven resistors that I removed from between the two 74HC244 IS's in the picture

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Breakout Boards-5-axis-bob-errors-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john_100 View Post
    Hi Graham ,

John
    I wonder why they connected dir X to both pins 14 and 17?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Graham ,

its my error

when I've copied from an earlier diagram used in post 9 in this thread :-

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...out_board.html

I've typed X dir for pin 17 instead of B dir !!

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I'm not electronics engineer and CNC hobbyist beginner, I'd like to get your advices :

Is this breakout board only able to work with opened circuit limit switches ?
    (Is there any workaround to work with closed circuit ?)

Is this breakout board never "resetting" DB25 state after a limit is reached ?
    My card is rising state on all input pins - 10,11,12,13,15 - when only one limit is reached and did not release state after limit switch is released.
    (Is there any workaround to reset state automatically ? i'd like to use one switch to probe surface).

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi alcor

are your limit switches mechanical switches or electronic switches ?
    more details of the switch will help

assuming you are connecting all the limit switches to one breakout board input

if they are mechanical switches
    you can wire normally closed in series and connected to one breakout board input

the printer port input can only detect when all switches are closed or when the first switch opens

with normally open switches you can wire them in parallel
    then printer port input will only detect when all switches are open or when a switch closes

using one input your control software will not know which switch has been operated if more than one axis is moving

if you have normally closed HALL switches (or other proximity detector)
    you will have to connect one switch to one input on the breakout board
    unless you add some extra circuit

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks John,

I used common mechanical lever micro switches. I have two normally closed switches in serie per axis at end limits. I have 3 axis so i used 3 breakout board inputs with 1 common ground. I will use another mechanical switch probe connected to A-LIM input for surface probe.
    I tested the 3 loops independently (not connected to the breakout board) they reacted as expected.

I'd tested 2 cases :

1/ X Y Z loops are connected as mentionned in attached scheme, A-LIM loop is not present. As soon as i power on the board (Note : i use USB 5V plug to power the board), DB25 voltage on pins 10, 11, 12 are set to 5V. (i didn't tested pin 13). Opening any switch doesn't change anything.

2/ I unplugged X Y Z loops but the common ground is always present on the breakout board GND inputs XYZ. I opened A-LIM switch and then power on.
    pins 10, 11, 12 and 13 are 0V. As soon as i closed A-LIM switch, all 4 pins are set to 5V.

Explaining this, I realize that I have not tested if the // cable is involved in the problem ... I'll check this as soon as i can.
    Otherwise do i need diode on GND ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Breakout Boards-5axis-bob-ls-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi alcor

your connection diagram looks correct

going by the photos of the 5 axis B.O.B. on sale
    it looks like there is 2 versions

the version I have tested had no +5V supply to pin 14 of the 74HC14 used in the circuits connecting the E Stop and Limit switches to the PC printer port

without a +5V supply to pin 14 the 74HC14
    the E Stop and limit switch circuits depend on power from the printer port
    and may not all ways give you valid logic levels

to fix the problem I added the link shown in yellow in the first picture below

with the +5V link added the IC will be powered by your 5V supply
    without the board being connected to the computer
    you should find when the E stop switch or limit switch is closed
    the corresponding printer port pin will be at a logic 1 ( +3V to +5V)

when a switch opens the corresponding printer port pin 10, 11, 12, 13 or 15will be at a logic 0 (0V to 0.8V )

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Breakout Boards-viewpicture3-jpg   Chinese Breakout Boards-5-axis-bob2-jpg   Chinese Breakout Boards-ttl-logic-levels-jpg  
    Last edited by john-100; 02-14-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: correct typo

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Thanks for your precious help john.

I checked the parallel cable and all possible ground loops. Nothing to mention.

I added the link on my board and now i have the power led turned on when i plug parallel port on my computer, before 5V USB powered on.
    After several attempts, I still noticed that the behavior of the card is as follows (L/S input states) :

1. If all inputs XYZA-LIM & E-STOP are open : Pins 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15 are 2.58 V.

1. If at least one entry XYZA-LIM & E-STOP is closed : Pins 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15 at 5.16 V.

However, i noticed that the behavior is not the same when probing the // port with a voltage meter or computer // port sniffer :
    - when using a sniffer : the // port is plugged to the PC and the B.O.B. is not releasing the state when going from state 2 to 1 (see list above),
    - when using a voltage meter : the // port is unplugged and i mesure voltage on the connector pins. The board does return to logic 0 when going from state 2 to 1.

I probably have de defective break out board - or a bad designed board, don't you think ? :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi alcor

without the USB cable supplying the 5V to the breakout board
    if any of the printerport input pins 10 ,11 , 12 , 13 or 15
    can supply enough current ( a standard TTL IC its input terminals can source1.6 mA from its +5V supply )
    current will flow into the breakout board pin and via the first 74HC14 IC's input protection circuit to the +5V printed circuit to power the other IC's and the power indicator LED

normally I'd connect both the USB and the LTP printer cable before switching on the PC

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/scla007a/scla007a.pdf
    shows some of the protection circuits used

if when testing the breakout board when its powered by the +5V USB supply from the PC
    the output voltages switch between 0V and +5V as expected when you operate the limit or the Estop switches

but does not switch correctly when connected to the printer port
    the printer port must be faulty or the B.O.B and printer port are not compatable

if the PC printer port logic is powered from 3.3V instead of +5V the older TTL versions used

may be a +5V logic 1 from the breakout board is causing the transistors in the printer port to latch up

a possible solution could be use 5 diodes (1N4148 ?) to connect the breakout board to the printer port,
    the cathode connected to the B.O.B

john

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Breakout Boards-b-o-b-5-diode-cable-mod  
    Last edited by john-100; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a separate power supply to 5V via USB. In my tests, everything is plugged in, then I turn on the BOB and then the PC. I noticed that the PC also fed the BOB after completing my tests, when I turned off the BOB and the PC.

I'll try to use diodes but I currently lack the equipment for it and I'll buy diodes, DB25, board, etc.. I am interested to know, but I'll need a more practical, so I will also try to replace this card.

I will update this thread as soon as i'll receive the diodes.

John, I want to thank you for your help.

NB : i'm not sure about the diodes because even when the BOB is unplugged from the PC, all the pins 10, 11, 12, 13 & 15 are set to 5V when only one input is closed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi alcor

I'd assumed the PC USB port was supplying the breakout board and not a mains PSU
    the only advantage with taking the power from the PC is the breakout board is switched on and off at the same time as the printer port cicuit

It looks like you have a problem with the breakout board or the limit switch wiring .

with only the 5V supply connected you should have 0V between the ground terminal and the printerport connector pins 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 ond 15

since the inputs are pulled high by resistors and the output of a
    74HC14 inverter is connected to the printerport
    ( only 1/6 of the 74HC14 is used in each of the 5 input circuits )

connecting a wire link between ground and the Estop should only make pin 15 switch from 0V to +5V

connecting the A axis input to ground should only make the printer port pin 13 switch from 0V to +5V

the X , Y and Z limit switch inputs should control only the corresponding pins
    10 ,11 and 12

removing a link or opening a switch should only make the corresponding printer port pin switch from +5V to 0V

once you have used wire links at the terminal blocks and proved the breakout board is working
    you can repeat the tests with the limit switches and machines wiring

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Last try ...

I unplugged and completely removed the breakout board from the rack.
    I only powered the card with a USB 5V supply.
    I get the same results than before :

The outputs 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15 provide the 2.6 V (GND on pin 25). Not 0V as expected.

Next i added 5 normally opened switches to each 5 BOB L/S & Estop inputs. Grounded individually to their respective GND inputs.

I get 2.6V when all 5 switches are opened and 5.1V when only 1 switch closed on all 5 DB25 input pins at the same time. Not attended behaviour.

I also noticed that when my fingers are close to inputs Y, Z and A, it makes the system unstable and the inputs (always all at once) are randomly and quickly set to 0 or 1 until i stay close.

This breakout board is broken. Too bad, the outputs work well though. I will not try with the diodes.

Edit : I replaced this board by a Mechapro Interface II (55€). No more stepper jitter, inputs are all functional and stable.

Last edited by alcor; 04-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese Breakout Boards

have anybody make or orden 3 axis 7-segment display and hand jog box to hy-jkm5/hy-jk02-m board, i has try google search many day but no found, were can buy or schematic how build own dispaly to 3 axis display and hand manual jogging box encoder hand wheel and buttons. but no found anywere how connect display and were orden ? working fine my cnc whit hy-div 268n-5A tb6600 drivers.