Need Help! Motor setup being used in this video. Heavy Z-Axis motor setup

Thread: Motor setup being used in this video. Heavy Z-Axis motor setup

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Motor setup being used in this video. Heavy Z-Axis motor setup

Looking into knowing the setup from this video.

1.What type of motor being used. 2. What additional parts are being used to achieve lifting heavy Z-Axis gantry style structure. 15:07 Mark in youtube video

Will multiple this motor come close to lifting that much weight? Is there better? https://teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SC...tage=230VAC3ph

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Motor setup being used in this video. Heavy Z-Axis motor setup

The motor in the video looks to be a 1.5kW to 2kW just based on the size. It is a servo motor, no idea of the brand. It also looks like it is attached to a reduction gear set of some kind.

You could use a clock motor to lift the weight if you geared it down enough, it's all a matter of how fast you want to lift. Greater acceleration requires more power.

A better choice of motors IMHO would be DMM Technologies or SureServo2 (Delta) from Automation Direct.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The motor in the video looks to be a 1.5kW to 2kW just based on the size. It is a servo motor, no idea of the brand. It also looks like it is attached to a reduction gear set of some kind.

You could use a clock motor to lift the weight if you geared it down enough, it's all a matter of how fast you want to lift. Greater acceleration requires more power.

A better choice of motors IMHO would be DMM Technologies or SureServo2 (Delta) from Automation Direct.

Thank you for your reply. Just curious in your reasoning against the clearpath motors. Is it under powered? Big selling point for me was there SC line being able to control it via there skd.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by twinnaz View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Just curious in your reasoning against the clearpath motors. Is it under powered? Big selling point for me was there SC line being able to control it via there skd.
    Clearpath motors are OK, a bit overpriced for what they are. I have used them in a couple of retrofits, but it has been my experience that the better value are the other brands I mentioned. I have used all 3 brands in various projects. They work great if you are doing a direct stepper motor retrofit, but not so much if you need more control flexibility, and position feedback to a controller.

The real downside of the Clearpath motors is that they are limited to step & direction control unless you want to write your own motion control software using their SDK. I have no experience with their SDK, so am not able to comment on how they handle multi axis coordination. Most modern servo motors/drives will accept a number of different industry standard control methods, Clearpath limits your options which is the reason I choose not to use them for most projects..

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA