CNC Quilting forum - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC Quilting forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    Could you explñain how Mach 3 works in your quilting machine.
    What is the use of encoders?
    Is there some macros?
    Please explain a little how your machine works?

Another question.. I saw two ways of machine works, what of this are you using?

1-Needle motor runs constantly and optical switches in rotor shaft send commands for X and Y movements, when needle is out of fabric, in this case OEM triggers hotkeys activate OEM CYCLE START button, working in Single BLK mode

2-X and Y axis run continuously G code and Needle operation is done when X and Y axis are stopped using optical encoder to Know when sewing machine is stopper or moving to next stitch position.

Thanks in advance, sorry my ignorance and my bad english

Regards

Rene

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Quilter Project

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Nuñez Paz View Post
    Hi
    Could you explñain how Mach 3 works in your quilting machine.
    What is the use of encoders?
    Is there some macros?
    Please explain a little how your machine works?

Another question.. I saw two ways of machine works, what of this are you using?

1-Needle motor runs constantly and optical switches in rotor shaft send commands for X and Y movements, when needle is out of fabric, in this case OEM triggers hotkeys activate OEM CYCLE START button, working in Single BLK mode

2-X and Y axis run continuously G code and Needle operation is done when X and Y axis are stopped using optical encoder to Know when sewing machine is stopper or moving to next stitch position.

Thanks in advance, sorry my ignorance and my bad english

Regards

Rene
    Hi Rene,

My CnC Quilter is pretty straight forward. Since I am using the stitch regulator that came with the sewing machine, I don't have to worry about using any encoders except the ones that came with the regulator.

I am using Mach3 (modified version that is suitable for the quilter) that is set up to operate only the the x and y axis. I use it with a Rockcliff 4 axis board that is only using two axis right now. I have an optical relay attached that controls the motion of the needle(on/off) that is controlled by port 17 of the rockcliff board and mach3. The Estop button is controlled at the estop output of mach3 going to port 10.

Actually my quilter is not using either of the methods you mention, as I said above, I am using an optical relay controlled by Mach3 using the M7 command to start the needle and the M9 command to stop it. This is done by inserting the M7 command in a convenient spot in the Gcode that will start the needle sewing, and at the end of the file before the M30 (or what ever command is being used to end the program) I insert the M9 command to turn off the needle before the end of the file.

The X and Y axis are both under the control of a Gcode file running through Mach3. I have found that it is both possible and convenient to scale the size of the output of the file to fit the quilt that is in progress. This makes the output fit perfectly to the project.

I am quite happy with the results of my project, and It pleases me greatly to share my experience, project and knowledge with other enthusiasts.

Keep the questions coming, I love it.

Larry

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_M View Post
    Hi Larry,
    I'm thinking of changing direction.
    I was looking at kit like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Axis-NEMA-23-S...item3efd999bf2

Any opinions on this?

The reason I'm shying away from Arduino is that I'm unsure of the Gcode to Arduino. I only found one source and it's an unproven beta.

Anyway, what type of motor are you using? I'm wondering if a NEMA 23 rated at 175 inch ounces or torque would be good for moving a 30-40 pound sewing maching around the frame.

Also, after researching belt drive costs (it has to be a LONG belt), I'm going with wire drive around a spool.
    Hey Tom, good to hear from you.

Yes, it is possible to use just about any size motor that fits your budget. I am using a pair of NEMA17 motors with 75 in ounces of torque. So for that size machine the NEMA23 should be perfect. The biggest problem you face is the size of the machine throat. I am using a 9 inch throat Husqvarna Viking Mega-Quilter. It is a bit small when the take up rod is full, so a larger throat is a good thing. As far as the belt is concerned, I bought 15 feet of MXL 3/8 inch wide neoprene belt with some small gear pulleys that fit it, from a local hobby store, and my cost was very affordable, only about $25 all total. I found that the wire is a great way to go, but I would recommend that you use something heavier than 30lb test, maybe 50lb test or higher, just consider the stiffness of the wire and how it will fit the pulley or shaft. Also, be sure to put at least one turnbuckle on each axis to adjust the tightness of the wire. It needs to sound like a c chord on a guitar when you pluck it. Additionally, when you mount the wire, be sure that you loop it at least three times around the pulley and that it runs straight across the table and the pulley top. If there is any angle in the wire at the pulley, it will get very tight as it travels from the middle of the table to either side of the table. This will cause a lot of power loss and heat generation in the motors.

Good luck with your project, and keep me posted on it's progress.

Larry

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hi I am a new member

Hi all I'm a retired diesel engineer Living in Australia
    and have been to many quilting shows and seen the grossly overpriced computer operated quilting systems.
    which I could not justify their cost.I have been looking at how to build a cnc myself.any design or construction poses me no problem.my problem is software
    as I have not been involved in cnc programing before.but am enthusiastic
    hope you don't mind me joining you

trickey

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Larry
    I my wife's quilting frame which I built myself had the same problem with a medium throated sewing machine ( brother 1500s 9 inch) and have overcome this by constructing the frame so the rear roller slides back and forwards which gives another 6 inch movement.
    at the moment I have it working manualy but have assembled all the parts and have bench tested the idea, it should be able to have it move electronicly using a 12vdc motor
    I know this may be to late for your project but may help some others
    regards
    trickey
    your eyes are your windows to your brain (my Grandfathers old saying)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you have done it all Larry. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. This site has inspired me to build a quilting machine myself--and it turned out well. Follows test patterns provided with Mach 3 just fine. I've tried (with no luck) using Lazy Cam and Corel Draw to make some usable quilting g code patterns, and am now a bit depressed thinking I will never get this thing to do anything productive. Could you steer me to sites where I might download such patterns? Thanks, Ed

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ec_buss View Post
    Looks like you have done it all Larry. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. This site has inspired me to build a quilting machine myself--and it turned out well. Follows test patterns provided with Mach 3 just fine. I've tried (with no luck) using Lazy Cam and Corel Draw to make some usable quilting g code patterns, and am now a bit depressed thinking I will never get this thing to do anything productive. Could you steer me to sites where I might download such patterns? Thanks, Ed
    Hi Ed, thanks for the kudos, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I purchase my patterns from Ellen Munnich's site. They are pretty reasonable. The site name is www.quiltrecipes.com. She is really easy to deal with and will do most anything to help short of giving her product away.

ALso, you might want to go to the www.candcnc.com site, which is where you can get a really good macro called DXFtool for CorelDraw X4, that will convert your drawings to DXF format, then you can load it into LazyCAM really easy. The macro will cost you a few greenbacks, but I think it is a really good buy for what you need.

Do me a favor, and when you make the purchase for DXFtool, mention that I directed you to it. Also, take some pictures of your setup. I am really interested in what you are doing, and I love being a mentor.

Good Luck, Ed, You are going to have a great time with this project, it's really a blast.

I'm sending you a copy of my 1024.set file so that you can see what I have done with it. I have made some very special changes that allow me to input the number of repeats that I need, as well as the number of repeats that are still left to sew. Just unzip the file in your mach3 folder, and then you can see what I have doe with it. Disregard the second page, it is still being developed. I am working on setting up a page that will allow me to set the size of the sewing area so that the program will figure out the number of repeats to put in it.

Larry

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lmlamb; 09-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey everybody, I'm back,

I've been out of the loop for a while, you know, when Uncle Sam says go, ya go! I've made some more advancement on the cncQuilter screens, I now have the ability to input the number of repeats to sew, and it tells me how many still have to be sewn. I am working on doing a second page that will allow the input of the linear size of the x axis of the area to be sewed, and then calculate how many replications will be sewed based on the length of the pattern in the gcode file. This is taking a bit longer than I expected, since I had to be away, but I'll get to it shortly. I know I have been lax in reading the zone, but I promise to do better. I would love to hear about all the quilter projects that are being worked on, and I would also like to see some photos and/or vids of your projects.

Larry

"Just remember, never discuss secrets with the monkey while the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1024set

Quote Originally Posted by lmlamb View Post
    Hi Ed, thanks for the kudos, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I purchase my patterns from Ellen Munnich's site. They are pretty reasonable. The site name is www.quiltrecipes.com. She is really easy to deal with and will do most anything to help short of giving her product away.

ALso, you might want to go to the www.candcnc.com site, which is where you can get a really good macro called DXFtool for CorelDraw X4, that will convert your drawings to DXF format, then you can load it into LazyCAM really easy. The macro will cost you a few greenbacks, but I think it is a really good buy for what you need.

Do me a favor, and when you make the purchase for DXFtool, mention that I directed you to it. Also, take some pictures of your setup. I am really interested in what you are doing, and I love being a mentor.

Good Luck, Ed, You are going to have a great time with this project, it's really a blast.

I'm sending you a copy of my 1024.set file so that you can see what I have done with it. I have made some very special changes that allow me to input the number of repeats that I need, as well as the number of repeats that are still left to sew. Just unzip the file in your mach3 folder, and then you can see what I have doe with it. Disregard the second page, it is still being developed. I am working on setting up a page that will allow me to set the size of the sewing area so that the program will figure out the number of repeats to put in it.

Larry
    Thanks for the 1024set, but the zip file was actually your 1024Iset. I'd love to see your screen mods as it would save me a lot of work and trial and error. I just started working on mine and have nothing significant to contribute in that area. Please send it again when you find time. I'll be pleased to post some pics and will do so soon. Again, Thanks, Ed

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Ed,

Sorry about the .set file. Here is a new one and also the macro files and bitmaps that you need to make it work. Just expand the macro zip file into your macro folder, the cncquilter.zip file needs to be extracted to your macro folder as well.

let me know if all works ok.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

trickey

I have nothing that I can contribute in the way of cnc and programing
    but as my wife is a quilting fanatic and I am extremely interested in reading
    what you guys are doing
    I am starting to assemble the necessary bits and pieces and trying to accumulate as much information as possible.
    Larry I downloaded a shopping list that you put on this site hope you did not
    mind. To alter her quilting frame and construct the mechanicals will be no problem
    programing will.
    but what I lack in knowledge I make up in enthusiasm.
    Hope you guys don't mind me joining in

Dick

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RE: CNC Quilter

Quote Originally Posted by trickey View Post
    trickey

I have nothing that I can contribute in the way of cnc and programing
    but as my wife is a quilting fanatic and I am extremely interested in reading
    what you guys are doing
    I am starting to assemble the necessary bits and pieces and trying to accumulate as much information as possible.
    Larry I downloaded a shopping list that you put on this site hope you did not
    mind. To alter her quilting frame and construct the mechanicals will be no problem
    programing will.
    but what I lack in knowledge I make up in enthusiasm.
    Hope you guys don't mind me joining in

Dick
    Hello Dick,

As I write this I believe you are asleep and looking toward a new day. Where do you live in Australia? No worrys, you may not think you have anything to contribute right now, but, if you are like me in any way, you will later on. The fact that you are interested in what we are doing here at the quilter forum, contributes more that you can imagine, it is fodder for the future, in that you have given praise and encouragement. Certainly you can use anything that we might place here, that's what the forum is for, to help one another and to enjoy our hobby as much as we possibly can. We will never mind your asking questions, looking for assistance, or digging for answers. As far as the programming is concerned, I am using Mach3 as the basis for the program, and have made a few changes that you might have noticed. There will be many more changes until the entire system is no longer the original idea, I look forward to answering any questions you may have, and providing as many thought provoking answers and opportunities as I can.

If I haven't said it before, Welcome to the CNC QUILTER Forum, we are glad you are here.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Larry for your warm welcome.
    I live about eighty kilometers south west of Sydney but the city sprawl is catching up.
    I will try not to be a nuisance, I downloaded the the freeby of mach3 with lazycam.and have been trying to work it out.

I noticed that at one stage some one in this forum was talking of having the rear roller move to allow more travel for the machine .I modified my wifes frame
    some twelve months ago using a motor from a golf buggy.and electronic switches, not cnc but theres a thought.

Dick

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Thank you Larry for your warm welcome.
    I live about eighty kilometers south west of Sydney but the city sprawl is catching up.
    I will try not to be a nuisance, I downloaded the the freeby of mach3 with lazycam.and have been trying to work it out.

I noticed that at one stage some one in this forum was talking of having the rear roller move to allow more travel for the machine .I modified my wifes frame
    some twelve months ago using a motor from a golf buggy.and electronic switches, not cnc but theres a thought.

Dick
    Hi Dick,

No Worrys, if you need anything with Mach3, just fire away. Yes, we have been tossing around the idea of automating the rear takeup roller. I would just about give my right arm to see some photos of what you did with that golf buggy motor. It might lead to some idea. I have a kind of plan in my head, but not on paper, my main issue is with the stability of the roller.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Larry
    I have not been able to upload have not used this system before
    but mainly as I understand you were having problems with stability of the rear roller
    I will try to reload it
    but I overcame that problem by making the rear roller slide in and out by using the golf buggy motor to turn the rear roller using the quilt as the quilt turns on the roller it moves the roller in to keep a constant tension on the quilt I used some bungy cord on each end of the rear roller ,so I could have longer length I of bungy cord I pivoted around a roller will try to upload again
    but if you could give me another email address I will send some photos of this system
    this gave me an extra eight inches of movement I did not move the front rollers
    hope this is of help

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Larry
    I have not been able to upload have not used this system before
    but mainly as I understand you were having problems with stability of the rear roller
    I will try to reload it
    but I overcame that problem by making the rear roller slide in and out by using the golf buggy motor to turn the rear roller using the quilt as the quilt turns on the roller it moves the roller in to keep a constant tension on the quilt I used some bungy cord on each end of the rear roller ,so I could have longer length I of bungy cord I pivoted around a roller will try to upload again
    but if you could give me another email address I will send some photos of this system
    this gave me an extra eight inches of movement I did not move the front rollers
    hope this is of help
    Dick
    My email is: lmlamb@windmill-sbs.com

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rear roller Movement & homemade quilter stuff

I've been thinking about the rear roller movement, and am wondering if we could use a couple steppers (one on each end) controlled by the y axis to move the roller in and out, synchronized with the machine movement, thus keeping it in a constant position relative to the sewing machine. Would have to come up with some kind of tensioner, similar to the spiral spring on some garage doors. Just a thought for consideration. I'm not ready to go there myself yet.

I've posted some pics on the site of my quilter (search buss machine or by my my user name). Used a belt drive for the x and a screw drive for y. Incorporated some quick disconnect methods so the wife can still use manually if she choses to. I'll be happy to share more details if anyone is interested. ec_buss@yahoo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I've been thinking about the rear roller movement, and am wondering if we could use a couple steppers (one on each end) controlled by the y axis to move the roller in and out, synchronized with the machine movement, thus keeping it in a constant position relative to the sewing machine. Would have to come up with some kind of tensioner, similar to the spiral spring on some garage doors. Just a thought for consideration. I'm not ready to go there myself yet.

I've posted some pics on the site of my quilter (search buss machine or by my my user name). Used a belt drive for the x and a screw drive for y. Incorporated some quick disconnect methods so the wife can still use manually if she choses to. I'll be happy to share more details if anyone is interested. ec_buss@yahoo.
    Ed, I do believe you are a mind reader I was thinking that same thing. By coordinating the movement and synching the two motors to the Z or maybe A axis. The main issue at this time is designing a mount for the movement, which I have been working on. When I get a design down on paper I'll publish it to the forum for you guys to look at and comment on. I intend to build a mock up to work the bugs out of the design.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Ed

I took a look at the photos you posted and I must say you have done a bang up job on that screw drive! Very nice. Is that a singer quilter that you are using? It looks like you completely re-built the carriage around the motors and screw drive! What size are the steppers that you have there?

Good work Ed, keep it up!

"Never discuss secrets with the monkey while the organ-grinder is in the room" Winston Churchill.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Larry

I you used the buggy motor only it being 12v dc it would work in clockwise or anti clockwise using relays .therefore if I put the bungy cord to act as a tensioner it not only keeps the quilt in tension it also retracts the rear roller under tension when the motor is in reverse I only needed one motor.
    I only used the buggy motor because it had enough toque to hold the rear roller thus I can move the roller ratchet out of gear and rely on the motor to hold.
    When not in use my wife can then just lock the rear shaft and the machine is completely back to normal.With the added bonus of rolling the quilt using the electric motor.

Dick

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast