CNC Quilting forum - Page 2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC Quilting forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it's been a very busy two weeks around the Lamb household. We have been working hard to tweak the CNC Quilter, and we have just started the first quilt. So far so good. The final tweaks consisted of learning how to use CorelDRAW to interface with the Vector to GCode converter that I use. (DX2GCode) Our most challenging problem was in the scaling of the drawings to an acceptable size. This is where DX2GCode really came in handy. It allows the scaling to be set prior to loading the file for conversion. It also lets me see the nodes inserted into the file to control the speed of the system. All in all, we have really come a long way since the first posting on this project, and I am excited to see the first finished quilt. That should occur over the next couple of days. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Oh, by the way, does anyone have a reliable macro that will allow repeating of patterns? I am not a macro programmer and I haven't the foggiest idea of where to even start looking. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Larry,
    Do you have a build thread detailing some of the aspects of your CNC Quilter? Sorry I can't help you with your need for a macro, that's over my head.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC KIT

Is there a CNC kit for an add-on to an existing quilting machine that is economical?
    Even a DIY project would be okay>

sdman

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sdman,
    Sadly, I don't think there is a kit for a cnc quilter. The part that I don't quite get is how to make and control a stitch regulator.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Kit

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like a window of oppurtunity for someone to develope a CNC low cost kit without all the bells and whistles that would fit most of the quilters out there.

Sam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, when I priced the CNC quilters, the high end machines were running $30,000. To really take off, the hobby would probably need a good dose of testosterone.

Although, when I was pricing the non-cnc racks, they sales lady said the quilters were real popular with the husbands. Go figure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Build notes for the CNC Quilter Project

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Larry,
    Do you have a build thread detailing some of the aspects of your CNC Quilter? Sorry I can't help you with your need for a macro, that's over my head.
    Hey Glidergider,

Here are the notes that I promised you.

The thread is attached.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Is there a CNC kit for an add-on to an existing quilting machine that is economical?
    Even a DIY project would be okay>

sdman
    As far as I know there are no kits available for less than $1500 for a used PCQuilter. The system that I developed cost me about $500 to develop. That doesn't include gas and travel time and postage for the parts. The whole project from start to finish took me about 9 months to complete. Partially becuase my controller board took a header and had to be replaced.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

It's already very well tapped. PCquilter is one, MQR, StattlerStitcher, and about 3 other robotic systems. Statler Stitch is the most expensive and goes on a Gammel quiling from ($30-50K). PCQuilter is the best and most solidly built with the widest variety of options and fucntions in their software.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Thanks Switcher. I appreciate the links. I figured there'd be some interest in this topic. Maybe others would pipe up with DIY links too. There are literally thousands of women out there quilting away (including my wife). 99.99% of these ladies have no interest in computers though. Commercial quilting machines cost $30k, so you can expect that this market is just waiting to be tapped.

Downloads
    Uploads

SDMAN,

The cnc quilter that I built is just what you are looking for. It is a kit that I have developed. I am still doing some tweaking on it, and looking at different methods of providing transit for the carriage. I'll be trying a belt drive next, and that will be announced on this forum soon, along with photos.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All,

Well, I've been real busy improving the CNC Quilter. I just finished installing a belt drive system using a quarter inch belt on both of the motors. It really smoothed out the operation. I found that even with the cable being a great idea, it tends to stretch a bit. The stretching caused the carriage and sewing machine to bounce when doing fast reverses, and that, in turn caused the pattern to be unsteady and jagged. So, I recommend that anyone working on a CNC quilter use either a belt drive or a screw drive.

Haven't heard from anyone recently, so everything must be going good. Good luck on all your projects.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Larry,

Thanks for all the info and congratulations on getting your project this far. I, like you, have a quilting wife, who has a B-Line 18" system which she is hankering to automate. The supplier has adapted his system to use Q-Bot, which is very expensive for what it is. I too have commited to automating the process for her and I plan to use your ideas as a start point.

However, she wants to be able to switch to freehand quilting at the flick of a switch and worries that belts and screws would interfere with her ability to do so easily. I noticed that Q-Bot uses wheels to drive the platforms in their axes. Can you think of any reason that that could not be done here?

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY QUILTER

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker1 View Post
    Larry,

Thanks for all the info and congratulations on getting your project this far. I, like you, have a quilting wife, who has a B-Line 18" system which she is hankering to automate. The supplier has adapted his system to use Q-Bot, which is very expensive for what it is. I too have commited to automating the process for her and I plan to use your ideas as a start point.

However, she wants to be able to switch to freehand quilting at the flick of a switch and worries that belts and screws would interfere with her ability to do so easily. I noticed that Q-Bot uses wheels to drive the platforms in their axes. Can you think of any reason that that could not be done here?

Regards
    Slacker1

Thanks for all the good words, I appreciate it. You are right about the Q-Bot is a very expensive system for what it is. You know, it would not be a very difficult thing to introduce a switch box to allow switching between automated and manual mode. I am certain that her machine can be equipped very easily to handle it.

Are the wheels on the Q-Bot driven by direct drive from a motor or are they belt driven? Can you take a photo of the machine and posts it? That way I can get a better idea of the best way to set it up! I don't see any reason why drive wheels wouldn't work, with the possible exception of slippage on the drive bar/pipe or what ever is being used.

If the carriage of the machine is using wheels on a platform that rolls the length of the table, I would consider using a belt drive system to move the carriage and platform. This really all depends on the weight of the machine. The heavier the machine, the larger the stepper motor will need to be, hence the greater the cost.

I use a rockcliff 4 axis cnc controller card for the interface with the pc, and so far it works very well. That is not to say that any other interface wouldn't work just as well.

The only problems that I keep running into are not really machine related so much as they are problems with the patterns that I am using. I find that most patterns that I get from the internet are for other types of machines, and they need to be adjusted to work with the cnc quilter.

Well, I hope I have lent some information that you can use. If you need any more assistance please use my email address, lmlamb@windmill-sbs.com, as I don't check the forum as frequently as I should.

Regards,

Larry

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY CNC QUILTER

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker1 View Post
    Larry,

Regards
    Slacker1

I forgot to address the issue of the belts and screws. Actually, with the use of steppermotors and belt drive, the machine is just as easy to use as without the motors. My wife has been using the machine in free motion mode while I have been adapting patterns to use, and she says that it is just as smooth and easy as without the drive system set up. There may be several ways to attach the motor mounts, however, I chose to go with the mid carriage side mount so that it pulls the carriage evenly without any twist in the movement of the machine. This has proven to be a very good method. It is possible to use two motors for each axis in tandem so that the pull is evenly distributed, but that will add weight to the system, as well as making the entire drive mechanism more complicated. I would not recommend that. If you like, I can make some short videos of my wife using the manual mode to freehand some stitches so that your wife can see the ease of use of the system. Even though the motors are attached to a drive belt, the carriage moves very smooth and with very little effort on her part.

I am located in Germany (stationed here). If you would like to contact me by phone or IP phone, I can be reached on Skype. My Skype username is LarryLamb7035, and I can usually be reached in the evenings, european time, or at about 1200 hours east coast time.

Regards,

Larry

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Larry,

I would like to see a video of your setup and be able to show my wife that the belt system would still be usable freehand.

There are some rudimentary pictures of my wife's setup on the B-Line site:
    http://www.tobequilting.com/

Good to know your Skype info. I have a son in Basel and it's about the only way I can keep in touch with him.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All,

I just found this forum. I've been thinking of adding x-y drive to my wife's quilter for some time ( http://www.pfaffusa.com/5201.html ) and I'm glad I found others who are interested in the same.

I price a Q-Bot, and for $3K decided to pass on it and try this myself.

I already have a laser cutter that follows Corel Draw vector lines, but have no idea on how to duplicate the printer firmware to run my own steppers from.

I'm familiar with PIC and Arduino coding, and stepper motor operation and hope I can get some help here.

My original thought was to use a belt drive on the x, and acme screw on the y since it only has to travel about a 16". Still looking for proper motors that would be fast and strong enough to move the 40 pound mass back and forth.

Well I just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring and introduce myself.

Take care,
    Tom M
    State College, Pa

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Quilter Project

Hello All,

I just found this forum. I've been thinking of adding x-y drive to my wife's quilter for some time ( http://www.pfaffusa.com/5201.html ) and I'm glad I found others who are interested in the same.

I already have a laser cutter that follows Corel Draw vector lines, but have no idea on how to duplicate the printer firmware to run my own steppers from.

I'm familiar with PIC and Arduino coding, and stepper motor operation and hope I can get some help here.

My original thought was to use a belt drive on the x, and acme screw on the y since it only has to travel about a 16". Still looking for proper motors that would be fast and strong enough to move the 40 pound mass back and forth.

Take care,
    Tom M
    State College, Pa

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear you are interested in my project. The CNC Quilter has been a labor of love for the last several months. I'll be posting some videos soon on the forum so that folks can see the finished project. My wife has relegated all of the control, setup and operation of the CNC portion of the quilter to me, so now I am hip deep in the Quilting Hobby too. I find it to be rather relaxing, and stimulating at the same time. I am continually finding new things to try out, such as adding drive belts and using cable as the drive mechanism on the Y-axis. The cable works very well for that purpose, I am going to try using a stronger cable on the x-axis soon (my wife will be bringing some 50 lb test stainless steel fishing wire with poly-U coating back from the states.)( I am in Germany). If I can be of help with your project please let me know.

Larry

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

Well, the CNC-Quilter is finally completed. I have it hooked up to an HP ZV5000 laptop and a handheld game controller that works really well as a remote controller. The buttons are fully programmable and easy to use. I don't have to touch the computer to control it.

My wife and I have finished a couple of quiltes using patterns downloaded from the internet. We found that using the scale function next to the DROs allows us to adjust the size of the patterns with much ease simply by punching in the numbers that we want. This has solved a lot of the problems that we were running into with our CAM software. Now we don't have to worry about the scale being correct when we do the conversion from DXF to G-Code. We simply set the scale in Mach3 and a few minutes later we have the right size. It does take a bit of experimentation with the scale to find the right ratios but that is to be expected. I am finding that the initial setting for most patterns is approximately 0.0700 as the initial setting, although some will be different based on the size of the file and what machine they were made for . I am really having a lot of fun working with the quilter. I've learned much about automation and control of the machinery during this project. I have posted a bunch of new fotos on the gallery, so if you are interested, please have a look.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lmlamb View Post
    Hello All,

Take care,
    Tom M
    State College, Pa

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear you are interested in my project. The CNC Quilter has been a labor of love for the last several months. I'll be posting some videos soon on the forum so that folks can see the finished project. My wife has relegated all of the control, setup and operation of the CNC portion of the quilter to me, so now I am hip deep in the Quilting Hobby too. I find it to be rather relaxing, and stimulating at the same time. I am continually finding new things to try out, such as adding drive belts and using cable as the drive mechanism on the Y-axis. The cable works very well for that purpose, I am going to try using a stronger cable on the x-axis soon (my wife will be bringing some 50 lb test stainless steel fishing wire with poly-U coating back from the states.)( I am in Germany). If I can be of help with your project please let me know.

Larry
    Hey Tom,

Here is some info for you. If you are using Mach3 as your controller software, you won't have to worry about duplicating the printer firmware. As a matter of fact the Arduino and PIC boards should work just fine with MACH3. It's just a matter of getting the hookups correctly made. I don't have much experience with either of those boards, as I am using a Rockcliff 4 axis board that I have had great success with. I have two other boards that I am hankering to try out, but one of them is USB only and I have no software that will work with it. The other is a universal Toshiba board that will work with everything from serial to USB and Parallel. The little USB 2 axis board that has to be programmed using VB6. I'm going to play around with it and see what can be done. I have modified the MACH3 screens to more closely resemble a quilting software package so that my wife will have an easier time of learning it. So far she is pretty impressed with the whole thing. Keep me posted on your progress, I would love to see some Pics of the project as it progresses.

Larry
    W4LML 20mtrs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Larry,
    I'm thinking of changing direction.
    I was looking at kit like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Axis-NEMA-23-S...item3efd999bf2

Any opinions on this?

The reason I'm shying away from Arduino is that I'm unsure of the Gcode to Arduino. I only found one source and it's an unproven beta.

Anyway, what type of motor are you using? I'm wondering if a NEMA 23 rated at 175 inch ounces or torque would be good for moving a 30-40 pound sewing maching around the frame.

Also, after researching belt drive costs (it has to be a LONG belt), I'm going with wire drive around a spool.

Quote Originally Posted by lmlamb View Post
    Hey Tom,

Here is some info for you. If you are using Mach3 as your controller software, you won't have to worry about duplicating the printer firmware. As a matter of fact the Arduino and PIC boards should work just fine with MACH3. It's just a matter of getting the hookups correctly made. I don't have much experience with either of those boards, as I am using a Rockcliff 4 axis board that I have had great success with. I have two other boards that I am hankering to try out, but one of them is USB only and I have no software that will work with it. The other is a universal Toshiba board that will work with everything from serial to USB and Parallel. The little USB 2 axis board that has to be programmed using VB6. I'm going to play around with it and see what can be done. I have modified the MACH3 screens to more closely resemble a quilting software package so that my wife will have an easier time of learning it. So far she is pretty impressed with the whole thing. Keep me posted on your progress, I would love to see some Pics of the project as it progresses.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast