CNC Quilting forum - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: CNC Quilting forum

I’m new to cnczone but have been using mach 3 for about 4 years on my DIY 4 axis cnc mill
    I have a quilting machine and I have the machine running as a CNC, but there are a-lot of things that I have to tweak, like I want a speed control to speed up or slow down and stop with a knob or foot control.
    I need to convert or make uninterrupted tool paths, converting most quilting programs to tool paths (PDF) have stops and starts in them, this is not something that is liked because you have to stop and pull up the thread, locking it, and then move to new location lock and pull up the thread again, before continuing sewing the path……
    So being able to have continues paths is desired, making up a screen that looks like something that belongs on a sewing machine is another step. Need help here…….

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi jonlell welcome aboard, there are a couple of questions one is about being able to control the speed of your quilting machine, what brand of machine do you have.
    As for quilting patterns I have found that a program called Quilt Cad with the import export module works very well it allows you as the name implies to import and export using most formats,I then design my quilt as blocks or as an edge to edge pattern with or without needle stops, then I just export as a DXF into Lazy cam,
    I know that some of the other members have talked about designing screens but I have not seen any, the conventional Mach3 screens works for me.
    If I can assist in any way please be in touch

Dick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Quilting forum

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to build quilting machine and I have a few doubts. First, imagine sewing machine cut in half. Upper part (part where is needle) is controlled by servo motor. Lower part (part where is hook) is controlled by another servo motor. Since needle and hook needs to work simultaneously, could anyone give me some ideas how to achieve that? My thought, to connect one (or two) positioner/encoder to both motors...but, even if that is a solution I wouldn't know how to connect them.

Any thoughts for this would be helpful.CNC Quilting forum-01-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Argon and Ion servo drives | Granite Devices

drive the granit drivers with STM32F4Discovery | STM32F4Discovery Kit for ST Cortex M4 | STMicroelectronics

This is my thinking on the direction to take. I have never built this setup ,just a thought .

Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds interesting, not a chore I would relish. with so many long arm machines available would it be worth reinventing the wheel? If so I would choose stepper motors. Frame size and purpose would rule.
    not much activity on this board, I found Larry and Dick most helpful here.

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys I to am automating a viking longarm quilter using mach3 software. It is working with a stitch regulator and am very pleased with the results but I have a problem with the mach3 program screen. I can make it work because I know the program but not my wife. In reading this forum I came across this posting with a custom screen for quilting and was hoping that I could get a copy of the screen set so that my wife can also run the system.

Tim Cundiff

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pcbguro View Post
    Hi guys I to am automating a viking longarm quilter using mach3 software. It is working with a stitch regulator and am very pleased with the results but I have a problem with the mach3 program screen. I can make it work because I know the program but not my wife. In reading this forum I came across this posting with a custom screen for quilting and was hoping that I could get a copy of the screen set so that my wife can also run the system.

Tim Cundiff
    Hi Tim sorry that I cannot help with a screen for you, I have always used the std. Mach 3 screen and the machine we use is a Nolting , My wife has Arthritis and leaves the quilting to me. But if I can help in any other way please get in touch,

Richard Morris

Downloads
    Uploads

I am in need of g code help. I have my machine working stitching out a single design then resetting the machine to zero the running it again. it is now time to automate this function. I have attached a picture of the design duplicated 3 times but the problem that I have is when running the code it always returns back to the beginning on the first design and it never goes to the second location. It does this three times and stops. How do I take the 1 up code and duplicate it and have it start at the end of the last one. This will then be a edge to edge design based on a repeat # that I enter on my screen and have the program duplicate it that many times. I have attached my g code of my 1 up file that you see. I do not know what I am doing wrong with my g code. My g code is in absolute.

Tim Cundiff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Quilting forum-quilting-design-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=pcbguro;2438502]I am in need of g code help. I have my machine working stitching out a single design then resetting the machine to zero the running it again. it is now time to automate this function. I have attached a picture of the design duplicated 3 times but the problem that I have is when running the code it always returns back to the beginning on the first design and it never goes to the second location. It does this three times and stops. How do I take the 1 up code and duplicate it and have it start at the end of the last one. This will then be a edge to edge design based on a repeat # that I enter on my screen and have the program duplicate it that many times. I have attached my g code of my 1 up file that you see. I do not know what I am doing wrong with my g code. My g code is in absolute.

Tim Cundiff

Goto start point
    Change to G91 incremental before running code
    End of line go G90 absolute
    Return to start point
    Ronb

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pcbguro View Post
    I am in need of g code help. I have my machine working stitching out a single design then resetting the machine to zero the running it again. it is now time to automate this function. I have attached a picture of the design duplicated 3 times but the problem that I have is when running the code it always returns back to the beginning on the first design and it never goes to the second location. It does this three times and stops. How do I take the 1 up code and duplicate it and have it start at the end of the last one. This will then be a edge to edge design based on a repeat # that I enter on my screen and have the program duplicate it that many times. I have attached my g code of my 1 up file that you see. I do not know what I am doing wrong with my g code. My g code is in absolute.

Tim Cundiff
    Hi Tim I am not familiar with the program that you are using, but looking at your G code I would assume that you have only linked three patterns so that is all it will stich, maybe if you designed a pattern that went the the full width of your quilt then it may quilt the full width, what programs are you using, there are several programs that can be used I use Quilt cad with inbuilt import export module to design my quilt , then export it in DXF into Mach3 to convert to G code using lazy cam which is part of Mach3 this is the method which I have used ever since I started
    Hope that this helps if you need further help Get in touch

Trickey

Downloads
    Uploads

Trickey
    Even though the picture shows 3 designs when it stitches out the second design it does so over top of the first design and then does the same for the third. So I have one design stitched out three times on top of each other. I would like to correct my g code loop to move the second start point to be at the end of the first design. Then do the same for the next ...... any idea what to change in my loop?

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

WindRidge
    It has been awhile since this post but I was wondering if you could post your files that you have created along with your screen set so that I could see if there is anything that I could use for my setup. I am looking for a way to repeat one design over and over based on a number that I enter on the screen.

Tim Cundiff

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zoran0502 View Post
    Hello everyone.

I'm trying to build quilting machine and I have a few doubts. First, imagine sewing machine cut in half. Upper part (part where is needle) is controlled by servo motor. Lower part (part where is hook) is controlled by another servo motor. Since needle and hook needs to work simultaneously, could anyone give me some ideas how to achieve that? My thought, to connect one (or two) positioner/encoder to both motors...but, even if that is a solution I wouldn't know how to connect them.

Any thoughts for this would be helpful.CNC Quilting forum-01-jpg
    Hello.

Perhaps it's too late for an answer but I'll make a comment any way in case it can be useful to anyone having about the same idea. In fact many new frame quilters are built upon this idea as the machine footprints are kept to a mininum optimizing the use of space in the workshop.

In this particular application the use of steppers to control the sewing head parts is not recomended. Also, the cost involved in adding encoders and electronics to monitor position inaccuracy tends to add up to more than the cost of real servos. Generally a pair of 400W motors will do the trick.

Please post back as your experience may be useful to many of us.

Regards.

Last edited by BBMNet; 06-19-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011