Help me design a large scale 4th axis machine!

Thread: Help me design a large scale 4th axis machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Help me design a large scale 4th axis machine!

Here are the Design parameters and the product goals. First I want a work area of 60" x 96", I would use a standard spoil board in this area , the Z axis would have a travel distance of 12". Once the spoil board is removed there is open space ( no support brackets between the side rails). The 4th axis would work in this space but would be located 16" down from the spoil board's previous location allowing the Z axis more travel. The purpose of this design parameter is to be able to use the 4th axis to carve a large foam block (with a dowel rod through the center) This foam block will be shaped into Different Arthitectural shapes (Columns, Ballasters). I am also open to having the 4th axis located on the side of the machine thus allowing the work area of the spoil board to be 48" X 96" and remail in place. Open to all ideas, materials to use ect. Thanks for any response in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Buy a gas mig welder and learn welding, most home built routers are box section steel welded.
    Since you are only cutting timber, you can keep wall sections to 4mm and use the cheaper round bar guides.
    Your 4th axis should be incorporated into the table design, so you remove the table surface and the void below gives room to 4axis rotate your larger diameter work.
    Probably have a moving gantry, 60 inches is quite a length so good luck with your grand idea.

Wisdom results from foolishness!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help me design a large scale 4th axis machine!

Zenji, Thanks for your reply, Yes I have a gas mig welder and have planned on square tube frame, any Idea on size of stepper motors for this size of cnc machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gyropilot View Post
    Zenji, Thanks for your reply, Yes I have a gas mig welder and have planned on square tube frame, any Idea on size of stepper motors for this size of cnc machine?
    Maybe smaller nema 34, the smaller motors in each nema size usually have the best torque curves, the larger tend to drop off suddenly and mid range.
    2 for X axis,1 rack driving the bridge each side.
    1 for Z, Y and 4th. Probably all the same size and voltage to keep setup very easy.
    Being only timber work you can maybe even get away with a toothed belt on 4th directly to nema, 20mm wide belt minimum.
    Maybe Y could be toothed belt? Rack for sure, ballscrew is overkill for timber work.
    Make Z a ballscrew, short and cheap, 16 diameter.

I pray others give opinion, i tend to get carried away.

Wisdom results from foolishness!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help me design a large scale 4th axis machine!

Is this supposed to be a combination machine. that does flat work as well as 4th axis? If it's just for making columns and ballusters with the 4th axis, it could be a lot narrower, which would save space and increase rigidity,

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]