First time DIY CNC machine help

Thread: First time DIY CNC machine help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First time DIY CNC machine help

Hi there. A while back i got a cheep-o DIY 3d printer from china that doesn't even work. So its been sitting in my office for almost a year now collecting dust. But recently I decided to repurpose it as a CNC machine since it has most of the parts ill need like tracks and stepper motors. I decided to control it using a GRBL shield and an Arduino. However Im still missing the most important part, the drill. I honestly have no clue where to even look for one. I have a Dremel at home but I have no clue how Im gonna control its speed. Where can I either find a cheep drill that I can control or is there a way to control my Dremel?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First time DIY CNC machine help

What are you planning to use this for? Most drills are a bit slow for machining, but if you're using it for drilling only, that might work to some degree. A Dremel tool makes a poor substitute for a CNC spindle, but I suppose you could try it and fry it (turn it on when you start and off when you're done). The basic problem you'll discover is lack of rigidity. Printers don't need much, since they don't have cutting forces to deal with. But CNC routers are more demanding in this respect. Since you're fixing this machine with a new control, why not make it a better printer instead of a crappy router?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Most 3d printers, if converted to routers, won't be able to cut anything harder than styrofoam or wax. You'll probably need 10x the stiffness to cut wood, 50x to cut soft metal (aluminum, brass,) and 200x to cut steel. The dremel, while a lousy spindle, is probably more than sufficient for a 3d printer frame.
    I'd agree with awerby, much better off getting it working as a 3d printer, or just selling it and putting it towards a router or mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

First Motion Products offers an unmatched inventory of commercial truck part products. Our strength is the ability to service “truck down” and rush shipments. We can fill those request for the every-day parts or hard-to-find parts. We specialize in Flywheels, Flywheel Ring Gears, Flywheel Housings, Oil Pans, and Clutch Accessories for truck applications. Located in Bourbon, MO.