Looking for CNC Help in Winnipeg

Thread: Looking for CNC Help in Winnipeg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for CNC Help in Winnipeg

Hello, recently came across this website while reading about CNC on the web.

Does anyone know if Winnipeg has a cnc club or group of users that get together occasionally to talk cnc?

I live in Winnipeg and interested in building a cnc router for home use. Recently came across the plans for the "Joes CNC Model 2006". It looks like it would be a great first build to learn from.

Rather than try cutting all the mdf pieces by hand, I'm wondering if there is anyone in Winnipeg with a CNC machine interested in lending a helping hand. Not necessarily looking for charity work... (although wouldn't refuse)... rather looking for reasonably priced local help to cut out parts!

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

What material do you plan on routing?
    Initially I thought about going with MDF but after researching more I found that a lot of guys that built a MDF router were building a second router using 8020 aluminum. So I decided to skip the MDF and go straight to 8020 and I’m glad I did. You can find 8020 on eBay for a reasonable cost if you look for the “Slightly out of spec” stuff. What I’m told that means is the holes that are on each piece of 8020 (imperial 1530 series) were slightly out of tolerance for normal production. I did not care about that as I was making my own end plates and my router is using quarter inch angle for connections.
    http://www.Finelineautomation.com sells complete 8020 kits already cut to size.

Greetings from the Soo.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Drool for the tip about the 8020 design/kits. I checked out their website earlier today.

Looks like an interesting machine, although their current kit offering is a little smaller than I'd like. Ideally I'd like a machine that can handle a 4 x 8 sheet of mdf. Interestingly I found out today FineLineAutomation intends to release a 4 x 4 kit in January. Hoping to get some pictures of their new machine/kit emailed soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check out mechmate.com there is at least one guy on that site from WPG that has built one, if i ever build a cnc router it will be a mechmate...
    plus they have free plans also

EDD
    WPG

PS, check out WPG and Southern Manitoba in the Mentors section, as a few of us CNC Tobans have gotten together before in WPG

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Edwardo, I did take a look at the mechmate. Looks like a pretty serious well designed piece of machinery.

Since posting I did a little more reading and think I've decided to build the Joe Hybrid. I think this is a better option for me as the construction is something I can tackle in my garage. I also think I can get up and running much more quickly... buy parts and assemble with simple tools.

I purchased the plans a couple nights ago and have begun sourcing parts. With the purchase I received access to Joe's website and forums. Pretty impressed with the amount of information available. Also impressed with the various modifications guys have posted.

Thanks also for the tip about the other forum.

Cheers.