Could we make a difference with the Covid-19 pandemic situation?

Thread: Could we make a difference with the Covid-19 pandemic situation?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Could we make a difference with the Covid-19 pandemic situation?

There are a lot of really intelligent innovative individuals who are members here and surely some of this group could help save some lives during this time of need.

1. There will be a major shortage of ventilators to sustain the severely afflicted and doctors are going to have to make some really really hard decisions about who gets to use the available equipment.

2. There is a major shortage of masks and other PPE for health care providers.

Ventilators are fairly complex pieces of equipment that perform a fairly simple function. They supply a metered mixture of medical air (filtered and sanitized ambient air) and oxygen to the patient at an adjustable ratio, volume, and pressure.

Could some of the members here that have, or have access to equipment start making the component parts for ventilators in fairly short order? Surely there is a way.

The masks that I have (M95) have a small membrane check valve that allows exhaling through that and inhaling through the molded filter material. So.... 3D printed or injection molded check valve parts, and positive and negative mask molds, aluminum perhaps? Not sure how the filter material is made but appears to be fibrous material with some sort of moisture proof binder.

I am a bit limited here in Mexico with my machine in the early stages of construction and design. But I do have some time as I imagine many others do at current to try to make a difference.

Any comments?

Steve
    Stranded on a small Caribbean island.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Could we make a difference with the Covid-19 pandemic situation?

Quote Originally Posted by vger View Post
    There are a lot of really intelligent innovative individuals who are members here and surely some of this group could help save some lives during this time of need.

1. There will be a major shortage of ventilators to sustain the severely afflicted and doctors are going to have to make some really really hard decisions about who gets to use the available equipment.

2. There is a major shortage of masks and other PPE for health care providers.

Ventilators are fairly complex pieces of equipment that perform a fairly simple function. They supply a metered mixture of medical air (filtered and sanitized ambient air) and oxygen to the patient at an adjustable ratio, volume, and pressure.

Could some of the members here that have, or have access to equipment start making the component parts for ventilators in fairly short order? Surely there is a way.

The masks that I have (M95) have a small membrane check valve that allows exhaling through that and inhaling through the molded filter material. So.... 3D printed or injection molded check valve parts, and positive and negative mask molds, aluminum perhaps? Not sure how the filter material is made but appears to be fibrous material with some sort of moisture proof binder.

I am a bit limited here in Mexico with my machine in the early stages of construction and design. But I do have some time as I imagine many others do at current to try to make a difference.

Any comments?

Steve
    Stranded on a small Caribbean island.
    Another thread Here same subject https://www.cnczone.com/forums/machi...ing-forum.html

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Could we make a difference with the Covid-19 pandemic situation?

The N95 masks I'm familiar with have an exhalation valve that allows one to breathe out without going through the filter material. These are good for protecting oneself, but are unsuitable for people who are already sick to use in an effort to protect others. For them, a mask without the valve is required.

I've been looking at trying to produce some masks like that on an emergency basis. Despite my poor sewing skills, I managed to make a prototype with an embedded wire hoop so it can conform to the face. Could we make a difference with the Covid-19 pandemic situation?-handsewnmask1s-jpg

My muslin prototype was based on an open-source pattern from Freesewing.org, but I modified it to give more room around the mouth and nose of the wearer. Sourcing some of the proper filter material would make it more effective against the small particles of aerosol that carry the virus. I've got some HEPA vacuum bags on order, but haven't tried that yet. With all the people confined to their homes, it seems possible to farm out production to volunteers with sewing machines, although obviously there would need to be a way to sterilize the masks before distributing them. I've soaked some used and dirty N95 masks with denatured alcohol without apparent harm to them, but probably just a regular laundry procedure with a high-heat dryer cycle would suffice.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]