cnc programmer or pc programmer ?

Thread: cnc programmer or pc programmer ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default cnc programmer or pc programmer ?

hello, i have this in my mind from a while : is it better to be a cnc or a pc programmer ? or what do you like ?

entry salaries in cnc shops, for a novice, are lower then entry salaries for a pc programmer, but as you develop, there is a chance for a better salary in both environments

there are more pc programmers than cnc programmers, and also is easier to learn stuff inside a pc programming shop, because more employees are having similar skills, while, in a cnc shop, maybe there is 1, or more programmers, that don't have time to teach others, etc ... thus, i wish to say that cnc programming seems to have a greater learning curve, thus you have to invest a lot of time to gain some skills, and there are less places where to ask for help, thus specifics are hard to find, and manuals are hard to understand, especially those translated from japanese

i believe that in cnc programing, is a lot of noise, while in pc programming some things are a bit straight-through

i recently heared that there are less taxes on a pc programmer, while the cnc programmer has to pay taxes just like everybody else ...

in both enviroments, after a while, you may get 2 - 3000 / month, with more skills you may reach 5 - 6000 / month, and more then this is possible, but is not common

... and of course, there is one cnc person, across the river, that makes 10000 / month, with extra-hours and working in a shop with heavy equipment, but well, this is not common

so, if i may, what is your opinion about this ? pc or cnc programing ?

one more thing : there are kids-teenagers with crazy pc programming skills, while best cnc programmers are .... i don't know, do they exist ? kindly

Similar Threads:
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cnc programmer or pc programmer ?

hello guys

what i don't like about programming cnc's, is that you can not implement a function as easy as inside a pc program, because available functions are pretty limited, and you have to do a lot of tricks to achieve something; the classical "if goto" inside a cnc seems more then enough in most cases, but when i try to write a more complex cnc soubroutine, and i have to nest a lot of conditional code, is a bit messy i call this "head shift", thus i need to change my perspective between programing on pc or on cnc

in short, after a while, if i need to review a code, i have this problems :
    ... on pc, codes are longer, so i need time to remember how all those things link toghether
    ... on cnc, codes are shorter, but comprehensive, and i have to think not only about the code, but also about how the controller behaves when performing that code

when you program on pc, you can imediatly debug it, while on cnc you have to run time-consuming trials, and sometimes is not easy to debug the code, because the controller is not going to tell what goes wrong, so a lot of guessing is required

if on pc i spent time thinking " how to do that ? ", on a cnc is " wtf have i done ? "

employers don't appreciate the skill set that a CNC programmer needs to have
    only a few understand, and not all employers have "relevant" machining experience

the reason that PC application programmers make more money is that there is huge $$ in applications that become popular
    definetly, things are moving faster in the pc world; evolving standards, etc

there is something interesting : all hardware equipment requires cnc technology to be produced, and here things are going faster & faster, because there is a demand; however, machine tools producers can not incorporate very easy the latest software technology

The developments for CNC programming aren't changing that fast
    yup, the developments aren't chaning that fast ... it could be possible, but i guess that it costs

there was a video about why cars producers are not replacing ( soon ) metal
    chassis with carbon fiber, and the thing was that this move would imediatly lower client's costs, leading to fuel economy, but the car factory would need to wait for years to get back the money that was invested inside this change; a quick benefit for the client may be a huge loss/risk for the vendor/factory

I do both and have a lot of fun
    if i may, what are you doing ? are those separate jobs, or you are creating applications for the cnc ? kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you planning on a career change?
    no, i still have to learn stuff; there are things that i know i can do, but i didn't do them yet

That gives time to do all those interesting and exciting things that waren't economically to do for the company
    if i may, what is your agenda ? maybe it seems "a simple" question, but, i am after veteran tricks & tips, ideas, etc, why did you have to wait so long, why was not it possible to do them while you were hired ?

Because that is time consuming, I made my own Wizard program so now CNC turning is just entering some values from the drawing (PC application part). All together, the fun part, being retired is very time consuming, but never a dull day and still more ideas come up every day!
    My wizards basically do small tasks like facing, turning, chamfering, threading, knurling, taper turning, filet turning etc. Combine these small tasks and most parts can be made except those who have "exotic shapes"
    so far, i have only messed my head with okuma osp, and after a while i was told by 2 different persons that the number of keystrokes required to do something is too much; this was like a bang for me : what if there is a way to do things faster ? and what things am i delivering too slow ? however, i did not had the oportunity to stand near those guys, so to see exactly what they are reffering to ?!

for a short time, i also had some experience with fanuc / mitsubishi controls, but i did not find something there to boost me i am not saying that other controls are not ok; i simply did not had yet the oportunity to see other things in action, at full potential

so i started boosting my self, in places where i believed that i should insist i know, sounds lame ... most of the tips i found on the cnc zone, from my okuma dealer and from manuals, but i never stood near someone experienced 8hours/day, so to learn things fast, or at least to be told an advice before starting doing something wrong

this is why, i would like to ask you why did you created that wizard, and maybe if you wish to show a sample/video about how are you using it ? kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

retired (at 47)
    omg man, arround here this happens at 60-65yo, and even so, most retired guys are still working ... maybe they like what they do, maybe pensions are ( really ) low, maybe both

well, netherlands ? maybe is not so bad

Downloads
    Uploads

so, you basically took a normal lathe, and you have done all the wirings + software, control, mechanical improvements, etc, so to make it run in cnc mode ? nice

a while ago i also wished to do the same, and i believe that many persons from this kind of area had tried, or wished, or actually deliverd such a thing ...

i don't have experience with electronics, or things like that, thus i can hold a batery in my hand, maybe change a lightbulb, and that's all but one of my friends had, and we got some arduino motors, tried to make them move, but i needed to make it move from delphi, and he was using a different software, and this was a problem, we hit a wall. i wished to build a cnc pantograf ( something like attached ), thus a paralelogram mechanism + cnc ( ratio 10 : 1,etc ) , and this would easy deliver accuracy < 1um. Also the arduino was playing everithing like a casete, and i was looking for feed-hold functions, etc. This custom thing required too much time, and i could not make it work back then ( circa 10 years ago ).

Meanwhile i started my way through the cnc machines, and now most of my time goes into them i try to deliver some custom methods, etc, but developing them is time consuming ... and when i think i got it right, it takes a while, and i have to re-consider well, i just hope to achieve a finish product soon, and "bring it to front", so to be analized by more experienced persons

if i may, about your work, is it all ok ? could you convince also others, so to let you convert their machines ? is it worth it / pleasure ?

Downloads
    Uploads

hy hfjbuis, yup, i saw yesterday all those modifications and the cncl thread; one tip that i liked was that about reducing backlash by rotating the nut

If you are a company you should really consider buying a CNC machine because hours spent are costly
    depends .... for example, arround here was a factory ( now is closed ) that used to produce machine tools, that are still being used today in many shops. After a while small automation appeared, making it possible to assist with simple tasks.

There still exist some shops that deliver specific parts, by machining them on special machines. They can't replace them with cnc's, because of their complexity, etc...

Almost a year ago i had been at an exposition for metal cutting industry, and there i met a person that was building thematic cnc machines. I started talking with him, because, his 'lathe' looked normal from the outside ( front covers, etc ), but after you would open its doors, you could see that things where different inside. He said that he can deliver specialized machines.

At that moment we were running some setups that required the parts to be rechucked, in order to remove burs, cut a small chamfer, and a lot of time was lost because of such auxialary operations. So i showed him the parts, and the discussion concluded that we could took one of our small lathes, put some automation on it, and a mechanism that would keep feeding parts into the machine. It sounded really nice and palpable, but i could not convince others that this project will actually free at least 4 classical machines, because day by day there were 4 classical lathes blocked by this auxialary operation.

Not everybody understands things, and there are people that don't care if a thing can be made faster, they simply care to see the machines working, without looking into process reliability. Running a bussines, and all those bills, makes some people a bit nervous, looking only into the "today" time, instead of looking forward ... well, whatever, what's done is done / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

back then, i was looking for an alternative, that would debur/chamfer the parts that were machined on the cnc lathes; problem was that all parts that were delivered by the cnc needed deburing, and for this task were used 4 classical lathes, daily ... money was not a problem, but there were other kind of problems. Such an investment would definitely pay-off, at least for those types of parts that were being machined : just imagine, parts would come out finished just like pop-corn one after the other ...

my clock is ticking! ... if time is not critical (yet)
    what's the deal with time ? are you in a rush ? should i be aware of something ? kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

You really need the commitment of the whole team to make it a success
    yup, like a good football team : they need to be skilled, pass the ball, and try to work as a team

I consider my health and free time as my most valuable goods!
    yup, and i pity those that stay in traffic for hours : so far i have always been close ( < 10 min ) to kindergarten / school / college / work 1 / work 2 / work n