cnc programmer or pc programmer ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cnc programmer or pc programmer ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cnc programmer or pc programmer ?

if i may, about your work, is it all ok ? could you convince also others, so to let you convert their machines ? is it worth it / pleasure ?
    I basically only do things for my self but helped some one getting his retrofitted (industrial) CNC mill to finish after he was disappointed by some people, but that was just once because it was fun to do. I don't want to make a habbit out of it because it is time consuming and my clock is ticking!
    I have made a "site" about retrofitting my first lathe and some small modifications I made to get more accuracy. It shows, things can be done without the need to spend lots of money. It takes some time and if you like doing it, I think it is worth doing it because you learn a lot and after doing it your self you can better decide what to do next. If you are a company you should really consider buying a CNC machine because hours spent are costly.

My Lathe - Metal Worker Tools

Downloads
    Uploads

hy hfjbuis, yup, i saw yesterday all those modifications and the cncl thread; one tip that i liked was that about reducing backlash by rotating the nut

If you are a company you should really consider buying a CNC machine because hours spent are costly
    depends .... for example, arround here was a factory ( now is closed ) that used to produce machine tools, that are still being used today in many shops. After a while small automation appeared, making it possible to assist with simple tasks.

There still exist some shops that deliver specific parts, by machining them on special machines. They can't replace them with cnc's, because of their complexity, etc...

Almost a year ago i had been at an exposition for metal cutting industry, and there i met a person that was building thematic cnc machines. I started talking with him, because, his 'lathe' looked normal from the outside ( front covers, etc ), but after you would open its doors, you could see that things where different inside. He said that he can deliver specialized machines.

At that moment we were running some setups that required the parts to be rechucked, in order to remove burs, cut a small chamfer, and a lot of time was lost because of such auxialary operations. So i showed him the parts, and the discussion concluded that we could took one of our small lathes, put some automation on it, and a mechanism that would keep feeding parts into the machine. It sounded really nice and palpable, but i could not convince others that this project will actually free at least 4 classical machines, because day by day there were 4 classical lathes blocked by this auxialary operation.

Not everybody understands things, and there are people that don't care if a thing can be made faster, they simply care to see the machines working, without looking into process reliability. Running a bussines, and all those bills, makes some people a bit nervous, looking only into the "today" time, instead of looking forward ... well, whatever, what's done is done / kindly

Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are things you can do to speed up

cut a small chamfer
    • If you use a quick change toolholder, you can setup the chamfer tool to replace the current cutting tool without any setup adjustments.
    • I make my own HSS and insert tools by milling. I can adjust these tools so that all tools are equally in length and width. These tools can be swapped "without" adjustments depending on the accuracy needed.
    • You could also add DRO's to the lathe and use a different Work Position (G54 like) for each tool. This makes life easier.
    • etc.

I am not saying this is the way to do it, but just consider alternatives that are easy to implement and don't cost so much.

a mechanism that would keep feeding parts into the machine
    These mechanism are usually custom made and dedicated to just a single part. I have learned walking step by step. I believe moving to CNC requires the same process. Just do a small upgrade, test, learn and then try the next step. Along the way you find out if it is the right way and if not, you can adjust the direction a bit. Once you start with a full automated production line, it is hard to change the direction because the cost of the machine, tools, education etc are hugh.

If time is not critical (yet) and the machine hasn't to run for 10 years, you could consider using a cheap (used) CNC machine just to get started.

Downloads
    Uploads

back then, i was looking for an alternative, that would debur/chamfer the parts that were machined on the cnc lathes; problem was that all parts that were delivered by the cnc needed deburing, and for this task were used 4 classical lathes, daily ... money was not a problem, but there were other kind of problems. Such an investment would definitely pay-off, at least for those types of parts that were being machined : just imagine, parts would come out finished just like pop-corn one after the other ...

my clock is ticking! ... if time is not critical (yet)
    what's the deal with time ? are you in a rush ? should i be aware of something ? kindly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

there were other kind of problems
    It is never just buying equipment, there is lot more to get it working and to keep it working. Also keep in mind that people, afraid to lose their job could do unforeseen things. You really need the commitment of the whole team to make it a success.

what's the deal with time ? are you in a rush ?
    No I am not in a rush but I quit working to do other things. When I start doing things for others, than I have to take care about service and problem solving and this will cost free time. I consider my health and free time as my most valuable goods!

Downloads
    Uploads

You really need the commitment of the whole team to make it a success
    yup, like a good football team : they need to be skilled, pass the ball, and try to work as a team

I consider my health and free time as my most valuable goods!
    yup, and i pity those that stay in traffic for hours : so far i have always been close ( < 10 min ) to kindergarten / school / college / work 1 / work 2 / work n

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12