Rivals silent on Google's email offensive

Thread: Rivals silent on Google's email offensive

WallCrawler

Default Rivals silent on Google's email offensive

Yahoo and Microsoft have so far declined to comment on Google's announcement that it is moving into free web based email.

The service, called Gmail, will offer one gigabyte of storage space, roughly 500,000 pages of email.

Gmail users will be able to receive up to 10 megabytes in a single email - more than the free services of Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail allow to be stored in an entire mailbox.

Gmail also will enable its users to type a keyword into a built-in search box to find information contained in their emailboxes within seconds.

"We think email is one of those things that is not as useful and as well organised as it should be," Google co-founder Larry Page said.

"People have been asking us to do this for a long time."

But there's a catch to the new service - Google's computers will scan emails to deliver targeted advertising.

Yahoo and Microsoft recently announced plans to challenge Google's dominance in internet searches.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

itll only stay at these huge figures for a while. till they smack hotmail arounda bit.. google hates microsoft. apparently..

Last edited by vacpress; 04-03-2004 at 08:59 PM.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

WallCrawler

Yepper.......

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by vacpress
    itll only stay at these huge figures for a while. till they smack hotmail arounda bit.. google hates microsoft. apparently..
    And M$ hates gOOgle coz gOOgle uses linux..

Downloads
    Uploads

If they want to rival googles internet search, they should try a simple, quick, ad free search page.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Downloads
    Uploads

I for one won't be using Gmail. I don't like the idea of people scanning the contents of the email and inserting adds according to the content. (Lord knows what else they will be doing with the information they get from scanning the email..)

I guess if you used some kind of encryption it would be a nice storage/transfer tool. :shrug:

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I can see this being good or bad... This might be a strong analogy, but does anyone remember how well supported Hitler was in the early days? The mentality being, 'hey, at least he's not a communist.'

I can see something similar happening with google... lots of support from everyone in the beginning, then the realization that they may not be in it solely to 'organize the world's information.'

I for one will keep a watchful eye on both Google and M$ while continuing to support Linux and other Open-Source software with money.

My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

:highjack:

Hrmph. Linux.

I've tried getting Mandrakemove and Knoppix CD's to work on my ME box and couldn't get them to boot right. Any suggestions?

+1 on Open Source... Mozilla, OpenOffice, #SharpDevelop etc R0x0rs meh b0x0rs!

:/highjack:

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Downloads
    Uploads

[/continue highjack]

2 suggestions, Rekd:

1. Try swapping out the CD-ROM drive in the computer. If the discs will boot in certain computers/drives and not others, I would suspect that this is the first sign of the optical drive failing. Also, cleaning the disc may help.

2. Try burning the discs on a newer burner. Sometimes I've had boot problems from linux CDs when burned with certain burners and switching to a newer burner helped. (This can also help even if #1 is the case.)

Hope it helps!

[/end continued highjack]

My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Neo. I think it's the way I'm burning the CDs. I use nero and it creates a boot disk with the ME system, and when I burn the ISO for MM or Knoppix and boot with it I can't get the linux commands to work. Is it because of it using the ME system to make the boot disk?

Mayhaps I should quit being a scrouge and just order up a CD.

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rekd, can you boot straight off' the cd-rom? I don't know a greatdeal about Me, but I don't see how it could affect an ISO image. Appolagies if that's what you're doing, just a thought!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I can. When I made the cd with nero I had to make a floppy boot disk first, then it used that when I burned the iso. It booted ok off the CD but I couldnt run anything.. but I could see the directories.

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rekd, the vast majority of the modern linux distros are selfbootables like wintel O.S.'s, you do not need a floppy. Only verify that the file is really a *.iso (if is *.nrg you do not know if is selfbootable) , and burn it. Then configure the bios of your ME box to boot from CD and voilá, you will see coloured letters a nice 'boot:' prompt. Press enter and run

Ahm, my old box (a digital 3200 server) does not like CD-RW to boot.. If you are using CD-RW media and your ME box is not so new, burn the distro in a CDR media and try again.