Newbie Looking to learn about Machining

Thread: Newbie Looking to learn about Machining

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie Looking to learn about Machining

Hi Folks,

I found this forum while looking for ways to learn how to create cool stuff from metal, primarily for motorcycles and cars. Right now, I know nothing about machining but I can weld and fabricate small things when necessary. Although I am just starting out, my goal is to design, machine and sell products for a living. So in short, I am here to learn from those who have done it before me, become an accomplished machinist (and businessman) and educate others along the way.

I look forward to being a part of the community.

Regards,
    Charles.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie Looking to learn about Machining

Welcome.I hope you enjoy the forum and its good that you are willing to go through a leaning process.There are pitfalls to beware of and for some stages there is a lot of time spent looking around and learning before anything spectacular happens.I highly recommend getting hold of a copy of Machinery's Handbook-it doesn't have to be the latest edition-as the answers to most of your questions will be found in it's pages.

A couple of things to be aware of there is another machinists forum,overseen by a grump who locks threads that don't have titles he considers clear and where they take great pride in scaring off newbies who they consider as falling beneath their exalted opinion of themselves.There are several other forums specifically for hobby machinists where you will find help readily given and some of them relate to building model engines.Also be a bit cautious about what you take from youtube videos;there are some great ones and then there are some "characters" often with zany hats and shirts promoting their youtube channel who give opinions a lot more readily that they show you anything they have actually produced.Be prepared to give yourself the time to learn;it isn't just about learning how to do something,you need to understand why it has to be done that way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Machining all my life and never been businessman I'v met businessmen that would never make machinists so is there a middle ground yes I guess .

Downloads
    Uploads

Also new in this sphere. Thx for creating the thread) Will tracking it.