Started thinking about new shop ...

Thread: Started thinking about new shop ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Started thinking about new shop ...

Just starting to think about a shop building at a new house location and want to get some ideas/feedback. Shop will be for multiple use. Currently in a residential garage with multi use. Cars never go in there... The new location will have a garage for the cars and a shop building. Some wood working, some metal working, room for an RV (plan on a modest size trailer of about 27' but that could change). Thinking a 30 x 40 building. Considering ceiling height. May get a mill but those aren't that high. For RVs recommendations go up to 14' high doors but that seems like a bit much. I don't really ever want to drive that big of rig and we still tent camp some so I don't see us ever having a huge rig. I am wondering about the 30' dimension though as that is the length of the parking the way I had it planned. Better switch that so it is 40' long parking. Thinking 14' high ceilings will allow 12' high door. Was thinking 10' wide on the tall door and then a 8' x 18' but was reading that a wider tall door would be good. Perhaps a single tall wide door something like 12H x 18W. The high ceilings would allow a mezzanine for storage. With 14' ceiling that is a bit limiting. 7' tall lower level, about 1' for upper floor and 6' for upper. Full length 14' studs with plates and short concrete wall at base would give closer to 15' ceiling so lower level would be a bit taller. May wait to put in the mezzanine. Conventional construction with 2x 6 walls. Hookups for the RV inside - electric, water and sewer will be easy since I plan to have all those in those in the building anyway. Half bath. 60A service. Heat and AC. Perhaps a few windows and a whole house fan as spring and fall weather is reasonable but they reduce security. There are all kinds of things I could add like a pit for vehicle work but I don't do much of that kind of work. Might be a plus for when I sell eventually. Thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Started thinking about new shop ...

Think about the sort of work you're actually going to be doing there. If it's primarily woodworking and metalworking, then separate spaces for those activities is worth considering. Especially if you're welding, cutting and grinding metal, you don't want hot sparks hitting piles of sawdust and shavings. More ceiling height is always good; with the same footprint you can put more stuff in there. Ask someone who installs rollup doors what the standard sizes are and how much clearance they need above; a couple of feet should probably do it, but it's good to check. Think about the tallest thing you'll want to roll in there - an RV or a semi truck loaded with equipment.? Plan for dust collection for the wood shop, and ventilation for the metal shop. Think about where the electricity will need to be to service the equipment you've got (and eventually will get). Can you get 3-phase? That would open up a range of cheap pre-owned equipment most people can't use. How are you going to heat it in the winter or cool it in the summer? The bigger the building, the more that will cost. I doubt that a pit will increase its resale value, but if you really need it, it's worth considering (at least if your water table's not too high)...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Our 25' travel trailer is about 11'-6" tall, roughly. It's actually about 28'-6" long tip to tip. I don't think you'd ever need a door wider than 12'.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

My shop is 30x40 with 12 ft eves, so the center peak is about 14 ft maybe a bit more. I have a 12x12 door centered in one end and would not want it any narrower. That give you a couple feet on each side when you're backing something in. I kinda wish I had a 14 ft high door because a semi-truck can be 13'6'' high, I've had to work on some of them outside, but that is rare. I would recommend a 6 inch reinforced concrete floor, my residential garage spec floor (3 1/2 inch) is a bit light and the forklift has taken its toll.

My lathe & mill sits in a 12x8 foot corner next to the roll up door. They face each other with 36 inches between the handles, plenty of working room. I built a mezzanine over that area out of pallet racking and have storage over that machine area. I also have pallet racking and shelving for storage around the entire perimeter of the shop, so that cuts the effective floor width down to 22 - 24 feet. Because I keep buying equipment, my shop is full and now only have room to pull my pickup in the door.

Heating is by propane and a wood stove, cooling is fans.

I have pictures if you're interested in the layout.

Bottom line is 30x40 is a nice size for a home shop.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Whatever size your thinking at double it at least. When I built our sign shop I thought I needed a 30'x30' so we built a 30'x60' and i wish we would have went 40'x80' or 50'x100'

Good luck & enjoy the build