DMM tech breakoutboard

Thread: DMM tech breakoutboard

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DMM tech breakoutboard

I have just wired up a DMM DYN4 servo drive and motor to an ESS smoothstepper and DMB4350-8B Breakout Board.
    The CNCPC is communicating with the ESS card using Mach 4 Hobby _Demo. I just cannot get the motors to turn. I would really appreciate anyone who has a similar setup to help me troubleshoot

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DMM tech breakoutboard

Quote Originally Posted by collyble View Post
    I have just wired up a DMM DYN4 servo drive and motor to an ESS smoothstepper and DMB4350-8B Breakout Board.
    The CNCPC is communicating with the ESS card using Mach 4 Hobby _Demo. I just cannot get the motors to turn. I would really appreciate anyone who has a similar setup to help me troubleshoot

Try Mach3 to start with, this would be easier to setup once you have it setup than move to Mach4, Plus there is more information using the Mach3 setup

You can do just Mach3 to the Dmm Breakout Board to get it running than add the ESS, and then change to Mach4

Are the servo motors locked when you power up

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Try Mach3 to start with, this would be easier to setup once you have it setup than move to Mach4, Plus there is more information using the Mach3 setup

You can do just Mach3 to the Dmm Breakout Board to get it running than add the ESS, and then change to Mach4

Are the servo motors locked when you power up

Thank you for your tip.
    I confirm that the motor brakes are released as I eliminated that problem by putting them on a separate circuit that is permanently open till I sort out this communication issue. I am having the same problem with Mach3 . I like your suggestion of bypassing the ESS because that will help me know where the problem connection is happening. The Mach is in demo version as I need to test before purchasing as they encourage users to do but I cannot imagine that the issue lies there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your tip.
    I confirm that the motor brakes are released as I eliminated that problem by putting them on a separate circuit that is permanently open till I sort out this communication issue. I am having the same problem with Mach3 . I like your suggestion of bypassing the ESS because that will help me know where the problem connection is happening. The Mach is in demo version as I need to test before purchasing as they encourage users to do but I cannot imagine that the issue lies there.
    The Ess can be not so easy to setup if it is your first time, just setup with Mach3 and the Dmm Breakout Board, they have the Ports and Pins needed in there software, this will get you going fast, you can also test direct from your computer and using the Dmm software which you can down load from there website

The servo motors should be locked with the Brakes off when you power them up if not, your wiring is incorrect, Breakout Board for Testing needs a Jumper for the ESTOP Connection and a 5v power supply for it to run, the Ess also needs a 5v power supply

DMM | Technology Solutions | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

http://www.dmm-tech.com/Files/DSFEN_A1324_1217_p.pdf

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mactech54 for your kind attention. To eliminate the brake from the equation I applied an independent circuit that released them before firing up the system. I could turn the shaft easily before the system is powered up. Once it is powered you could feel that typical resistance of servo motors.
    The 24 and 5 volts are in order as you said. Maybe you can explain better the importance of the E-stop. I do not have the E stop installed yet!!. Could that affect performance?
    The ESS appears to have been set correctly for both Mach 3 and Mach4 .The led bulbs at the back indicate correct flow with one stable and the other flashing. The PC also can read it well with the right boxes ticked in the config section. I am working on your suggestion of a direct link to the BOB. Would a normal parallel cable work or does it have to be wired specifically ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mactech54 for your kind attention. To eliminate the brake from the equation I applied an independent circuit that released them before firing up the system. I could turn the shaft easily before the system is powered up. Once it is powered you could feel that typical resistance of servo motors.
    The 24 and 5 volts are in order as you said. Maybe you can explain better the importance of the E-stop. I do not have the E stop installed yet!!. Could that affect performance?
    The ESS appears to have been set correctly for both Mach 3 and Mach4 .The led bulbs at the back indicate correct flow with one stable and the other flashing. The PC also can read it well with the right boxes ticked in the config section. I am working on your suggestion of a direct link to the BOB. Would a normal parallel cable work or does it have to be wired specifically ?
    Normal Parallel Port Cable 1:1

Nothing will work if the ESTOP is not connected, You can use a Jumper Wire to connect it, as a temporary connection

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DMM tech breakoutboard-estop-connection-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you aware of any issues with mach 3 on win 10 64 bit please

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you aware of any issues with mach 3 on win 10 64 bit please
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach-...on-1803-a.html

Yes and if you don't have the patch for it, you can still use it on 32Bit or roll back to version 1709 64bit, it's only the latest upgrade that has affected Mach3 version 1803

Mactec54