SPZ Meaning? Mill spindle problem

Thread: SPZ Meaning? Mill spindle problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SPZ Meaning? Mill spindle problem

Hello,

I have a Shizuoka Millmaster B-3V CNC mill and recently I had a power surge in my building. Since this happened, I have had an alarm LED light up in my spindle amplifier control board region of my machine. I have been having very hard luck trying to find help or an owner's manual for this machine as it is over 30 years old. I have contacted Shizuoka Tekko Japan with no solution.

The LED is labeled LD20 and SPZ. I ask what the SPZ denotation might mean. I am assuming it stands for Spindle "Z" but what should this mean to me as for how to fix it? In it's current state, if I turn on the spindle, the spindle will not go and I will have fuse blown in my machine.

Any help would be appreciated, I have plenty of pictures on this problem if they may help.
    Thanks
    Nic

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPZ Meaning? Mill spindle problem-alarm_ld20_closeup-jpg   SPZ Meaning? Mill spindle problem-shizuoka_millmaster_b_3v-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SPZ Meaning? Mill spindle problem

Bump, I can use any and all input here. I am a newer machinist and without my Mill I am like a doctor without a stethoscope at my store here
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty sure the reason that you haven't gotten any responses is that nobody has a good answer for you. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that there is a fried mosfet in the output section of your spindle drive. This wild guess is based on your ''blown fuse'' comment.

I would maybe replace the spindle drive with a VFD. But what other havoc this would cause with the controller, I have no idea. I'm sure that the controller wants to see some kind of a ''ready'' signal from the spindle drive and possibly other signals. But you may be able to fool the controller into thinking the drive is there. Without the electrical documentation it's going to be difficult. Alternatively, you could rip out all of the electronics and do a controls upgrade using the existing servo motors and drives.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Pretty sure the reason that you haven't gotten any responses is that nobody has a good answer for you. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that there is a fried mosfet in the output section of your spindle drive. This wild guess is based on your ''blown fuse'' comment.

I would maybe replace the spindle drive with a VFD. But what other havoc this would cause with the controller, I have no idea. I'm sure that the controller wants to see some kind of a ''ready'' signal from the spindle drive and possibly other signals. But you may be able to fool the controller into thinking the drive is there. Without the electrical documentation it's going to be difficult. Alternatively, you could rip out all of the electronics and do a controls upgrade using the existing servo motors and drives.
    Hello Jim,

Thanks for the input. From another thread I was suggest that one of the thyristors or SCR was shorted on my control board. This changes the incoming AC current into DC for the spindle drive to use. Without heavy electrical experience on my end, would you be able to offer any input on this thyristor/SCR short idea?

Thank you
    Nic

Downloads
    Uploads

If your spindle is a DC motor then I would say a thyristor short could be the problem. The thyristors would be a rough equivalent to the mosfets in a AC drive, at least they kind of serve the same function.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    If your spindle is a DC motor then I would say a thyristor short could be the problem. The thyristors would be a rough equivalent to the mosfets in a AC drive, at least they kind of serve the same function.
    Hello Jim,

Yes, my spindle drive is a Sanyo Denki SP-4146B
    Labeled 3.7 KW DC motor speed control unit. Please see below attached image of the Sanyo Denki Name Plate

Thank you
    Nic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPZ Meaning? Mill spindle problem-sanyo_nameplate-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The thyristors should be pretty easy to replace, but that may only be part of the problem. I would call around to a couple of local motor shops and see if they have the capability of repairing drives. If they can't, then they should be able to point you in the right direction. There are also a number of DC drive repair shops listed on Google. All DC drives are functionally about the same so maybe a YouTube search would offer some insight if you feel up to tackling the job yourself.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA