Mastercam vs Alphacam

Thread: Mastercam vs Alphacam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Mastercam vs Alphacam

Hi Everyone, I work for a small furniture maker in the UK that makes bespoke free standing and fitted furniture for yachts, private residences and luxury hotels around the world.

We have had 2 Biesse CNC routers for the last 2 years (a Rover A 5 axis and a Klever FT 3 axis) and have been using Biesse's own software for that time. We are also considering getting a laser cutter for marquetry and would want to use the software to run that as well.

We are looking to invest in a new software package to run these machines and have had Mastercam & Alphacam recommended to us but would like some more opinions from within the industry before we take the plunge - demos have been booked for the hard sell!

We get most of our designs in dwg, stl, 3dm and igs but do have to to do a substantial amount of reworking and redrawing to get these to work with the software we currently have. We work mainly with MDF, solid timber, resin block (Raku/Sika) and a little Brass. We machine anything from whole desks made in resin block and metalised, cnc carved lions paw feet, bespoke hinges, luxury boxes and curved components for cabinets.

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mastercam vs Alphacam

I would recommend you research the support available. One of those is well known with a large (easily accessible) user base. The other I have never heard of.
    Mastercam stinks for drawing solid models. It is a whole lot better than it was a few years ago, but still behind. It makes up for it in the toolpath generation area.

Have you looked at Fusion360?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mastercam vs Alphacam

@generaldisarray I've just had a look at Fusion360 and I'm not sure it supports full 5 axis machining - it says 3 +2 axis?? Also I wouldn't be sure that we'd have fast enough internet connection for it to run efficiently.

Have you never even heard of Alphacam?? I think there are based out of Austria?

Can you explain a bit more in what way Mastercam is not good at creating solid models? Do you have any experience of laser cutting with Mastercam?

Thanks