Help Needed Please

Thread: Help Needed Please

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help Needed Please

Hi Guys, I am new to this.

Well I am a Software engineer and a hobbyist. I create RC parts for cars and planes. And I also want to create artistic parts for home use and decoration as a side business.

So I decided to get my own CNC machine for this a side business. I am looking for a relatively small size one that I don't want to pay the arm and the leg for it

I went through plenty of Youtube videos for different machines and honestly speaking I really can't tell the difference. I need help and advice form a PRO that can help me choosing the right machine. Useful notes:
    1- I am not planning to CNC items longer that 500mm and wider than 300mm.
    2- Most of the items that I will Mill are (Aluminum not more than 3mm thickness, Carbon Fiber, Fiber Glass, ABS plastic and wood).
    3- Also interested in Laser burning for drawing on wood.
    4- Maximum number of parts that I will CNC in a month will not be more than 30 items.

Your help is much apprecaited.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help Needed Please

Buy a machine AFTER you understand CAD / CNC and can generate Gcode.

I always recommend that one gets the object desired / product designed, models built gcode completed
    Then go looking for a machine shop to run your data.

The CNC machine is like a CD player, it runs your music/.parts, After it is defined.
    (Seriously From 50years experience in this business).
    Never owned just rented machines and operators.

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you'll need several machines, not just one. Laser cutting is a specialized function; it's not just a head you can strap onto a CNC machine. The laser beam will bounce off any shiny surface and cut whatever it hits - you don't want that to be those arms or legs of yours, or your eyes. That's why laser cutters are totally contained, and don't work until you close the lid.

Fiberglass and carbon fiber are difficult to cut and the dust is dangerous. Fiberglass dust is abrasive and will destroy the sliding parts of your machinery. Carbon will do that too, and it's conductive as well, so it gets into your electronics and shorts them out. You need a machine that's specially hardened to deal with these things.

Aluminum cutting requires coolant and lubrication, so you need a machine that's impervious to oil and water, and which has a way to capture and recycle the coolant. But wood cutting makes a lot of dust, which needs to be evacuated as it's being produced. These two systems aren't really compatible.

What, you don't want to do plasma cutting with this thing as well?

With projects as varied as yours, it would make sense to find other people with the appropriate machines who can carry them out for you, at least until you had enough production volume to justify a purchase. This would spare you the expense of buying a machine you may not end up using that much, not to mention the hassle of maintaining it, which can be more work than you're imagining. As Botosh implies above, it's more important to be able to design parts than to produce them yourself.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Bostosh for your kind reply and feedback.

Well, the design is not an issue to me as I already have a designer that can do CAD and generate G Code.

I was looking at some Hobby grade machines over Youtube and I like this one (StepCraft) It can CNC Wood, Aluminum, Plastic, Carbon fiber and fiber glass. Also it can 3d print. But i dont think it can do Laser paint NOT Laser Cutting.

What do you think.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate your feedback.

Well, I was looking at some machines that can do all except PLAZMA as I am not going this way

I am a Hobbyist. I design parts for Remote control toys.

There are some machines that actually can CNC Wood, Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, fiber glass and 3d print as well. Check this machine out over Youtube, it is called StepCraft. This is the kind of machine I am looking for. Relatively Small and can do the job for me.

What do you think?

Downloads
    Uploads

One of these; https://stepcraft.us/ ? It's hard to tell much about it from what they share on the site - no idea what sort of screws and slides they use, for instance. But they have done a good job of putting together a range of accessories to attach to their machines. If you want the laser, though, you have to sign a waiver that promises you won't go after them if it hurts you: https://stepcraft.us/wp-content/uplo...eclaration.pdf . It doesn't seem sufficiently protected to be able to survive the effects of cutting carbon and glass reinforced materials, but if you end up getting one, please write back and tell us what you thought of it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Andrew for your precious feedback. Well yes I noticed the waiver, they are concerned that I moght point the laser on Someone other than me and 3rd party

However, I was wondering if you may another brand or another manufacturer that develop small size machines.

Thank you again for your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are plenty of other manufacturers of small-scale CNC routers: Shopbot, CNCrouterparts, Shark, Shapeoko, etc. But I still think you should narrow down your criteria, settle on one thing you most want to do and get a machine that will do it well. It's easy to end up with a machine that does lots of things poorly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sherline is a bit small but you can find used ones reasonably priced. I bought one called a denford, which is a Sherline in a cabinet. One of the uses I've considered for my Sherline is R/C parts. They have been around a long time and parts/tutorials/forums etc are easy to find.

A lot of it is about budget for me. An expensive hobby. Using less expensive machines I have gained far more practical knowledge on using these machines. I suggest you start inexpensive but quality. That usually means a bit smaller than you really want.
    I noticed XYZprinting had some interesting combination devices the other day. Laser in a printer, that kind of thing. You may find it useful to go to their site for ideas and comparisons.

I almost bought a ShopBot a few years ago. There are plenty of other good choices. It comes down to what you really want to do and there is not a single machine which really does it all. I usually recommend 3D printing as an intro to this field to people who are not CAD/CAM comfortable because I find it simply easier. There are not as many factors involved. 3D printers have become cheap (Under $200) and are very versatile. Start small and grow into it. This is not exactly difficult but it is nowhere near as simple as it looks.