Need help reading .nc with MAXNC 15CL

Thread: Need help reading .nc with MAXNC 15CL

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help reading .nc with MAXNC 15CL

Another user just posted a similar question about his recently acquired MAXNC mill. I'm putting up a new post as I don't want to hijack his original post.

I also recently acquired a used MAXNC 15CL with computer, MAX software, the works. I have the mill set up and operating. I'm able to run the test programs like Wheel.T, Engrave.T, and various others that came with the mill. I can enter commands via MDI and get the table to move about as it should. The spindle also operates per spec.

I use RhinoCamPro for creating my cutting strategies. I have created a couple of test pieces within Rhino and programmed them for milling on the MAX with RCP. I have the MAX NC post selected for RCP. When I Post my program, it saves it with the .nc file extension which is expected. When I place that file onto the Max computer, it does not open. Upon selecting "1.Load" within the Main Menu of MAX, it only shows those programs with a .T file extension such as Wheel.T, etc.

How can I get this machine to read code generated by RCP in .nc format?

I also use Mach 3 for my other mills. I've read posts from Andrew Werby and others who have suggested dumping the Max electronics and going with Mach 3 and a G540. I'd like to get this thing reading .NC its own first before going that route.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Terry Wellman

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help reading .nc with MAXNC 15CL

So you're operating this mill in DOS, using its original software? It's been a long time since I've done that. Later versions of the MaxNC software would run *.nc files, but you may have an older one. Have you tried simply renaming your nc files as T files and trying to run them?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andrew,

I did try to change the file extension from .nc to .T but nothing changed. I also tried to do that in WordPad on the Win98 machine connected to the MAX thinking that maybe re-saving it as text or text for DOS would do the trick. Nothing doing. I'm thinking about buying their new software for $135 to see if that will fix it. I've heard several nightmare stories about the company so I'm kind of cautious to do that. They're trying to push me towards buying their $495,00 proprietary computer for the machine. That kind of makes sense.

The other thing is that I've got Mach 3 and a spare CNC4PC C11G breakout board. I'd prefer to use that for another project that I'm building. So if there's a faster cheaper way to get it going with what it has at the moment, I'm all for that. If the new software will run on the older machine, that may be the way to go.

BTW, I bought RhinoCamPro from you several years ago. I love that program!

Best regards,
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Many Thanks to Dickeybird!! I wasn't thinking in DOS mode. He jarred my noggin' with the old 8 character naming protocol. After renaming one of the programs within the 8 character limitation and in All Caps followed by .T, I'm up and running programs on this little bugger. I'm making a part that we've done on our CNC Bridgeports before as a comparison to see how accurate this guy is. So far everything is matching up. Part will be done in an hour and I'll know for sure.

Thanks everyone for your help. It has been a while since I've been in DOS-land.

Terry Wellman

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Terry;

You did sound familiar; I'm glad you're happy with RhinoCAM Pro; it's a great program.

I wouldn't spend money on more DOS software if I were you; just switch to Mach3 (which doesn't cost much more than the "new" MaxNC software) and run it on an older (but not antique) desktop with a parallel port. You shouldn't need to spend anywhere near $495 for something that will work fine; someone you know probably has a computer like that lingering in a closet that they'll give you for free.

I doubt the MaxNC part will be as accurate as one made on a Bridgeport. The main problem with those machines (well, one of the main problems) is that the screws aren't supported by any kind of bearings; they're just attached to the motors (hung on the frame by 2 of 4 screws), which have bushings that are intended to float; there's nothing to keep the screw from moving in and out by a substantial fraction of an inch, much more than a backlash error. People have tried to remedy that by constructing alternative motor mounts with thrust bearings; that can work, but it's just one of the things you have to do to get those mills to make accurate parts.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

i have maxnc 10 just bought it used....its been interesting but i have gotten pretty far in just 1 day

and i also had issues but what i did was used vectric aspire and created a simple toolpath using generic Gcode inch post processor and it saved it as sample.tap file..i then opened it in notepad and resaved as sample.t and then it opened fine in the maxnc dos program and it simulated fine and ran fine in real mode on the machine.

im using an old laptop with a parallel port with stock windows 98 OS

i have the older version maxnc-10 from pre yr 2000 it seems it was made in USA....even the stepper motors were made in USA
    the newer version haave made in china parts and smaller stepper motors...mine are 75mm nema23 and i thibnk some of the newer maxnc-10 are only 50mm nema23

interesting about the so called DOS 8 character limit for file name? maybe thats why i had a couple issues before when i used longer file names?

Last edited by Shelby5041; 01-14-2020 at 11:32 PM.