Newbie to the board!!

Thread: Newbie to the board!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie to the board!!

Hi all,
    Nice to meet you all. I have been a CNC machinist (vert. and horiz. mills only, no lathes) for about 9 years now. When I started I knew nothing about machining at all. But a strong math background, the willingness to learn (and retain info), the ability to ask the right questions and a good imagination helped me advance very quickly within the shop. In about 3 1/2 years I became lead man on second shift working with and training 8-12 new operators at any given time. So I must have impressed someone! When I started we were still running punch tapes to load programs. Eventually we installed a DNC system. Here is my problem... Our company is experiencing a severe down sizing due to lack of work, I think it is from failure to keep up with new technology, but thats another story for another time. Needless to say I and about 75 people, 70% of the shop, have been laid off. The entire western NY area is suffering the same fate. So it is time for me to move on. I am extremely nervous about this move. I am planning a move to Florida where there seems to be a lot of machining work. ( The weather doesnt hurt either!) Buffalo is c-c-c-c-cold! I am afraid that what I know will not be enough in todays maching world. This is a link to the place I worked and the machines I operated.

http://www.snyderindustriesinc.com/equiplist.html

Keep in mind all I ran were the mills. I did set up, offset changes, program edits, Z depths, X and Y edits for tight tolerance locatons and sizes, speeds and feeds worked closely with programers to proof new programs (crashes could be nasty!) and helped lower cycle times. The question I have (finally!) is how much of what I know will transfer to different machines and types of maching. Do I really know as much as I think I know or am I going to look like an idiot? I have to admit some of the people I advanced past werent the brightest bulbs on the tree! All I have run are SNK and OKK machines all with FANUC controls. I see a lot of MAZAK controls and conversational programming out there. Is this difficult and where can I go online to learn some of this before I have to actually use it? I really enjoy the maching industry and eventually would like to learn more about programming for a production shop. You know safe and easy on operators while still putting quality parts on the floor in the least amount of time. Any help you all can give will be appreciated!! Sorry about the really long post but I am really nervous about this change and it feels good to get it all of my chest. Thanks again, Jeff

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have any pointers, but good luck friend! You could always CNC a mill in your garage and run contracts!

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff,
    Welcome to the CNCZone. As you already probaly know there's lots of information here, and the members are more than willing to answer your questions.

Your background will really pay off if you deside to build a machine as well as your knowledge in cutting tools and safety.

Hager
    Hager

WallCrawler

Jeff,
    Welcome to the CNCZone

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a good move, I may need to join you as I'm in the same boat.
    The weather is great in Florida and so is the scenery!

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome.

I plan to visit florida soon, does that count?

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went there in 6th grade. Couldn't breath!

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Hambone,

I too live in western NY (closer to central), near Rochester. The economy is bad but seems to be picking up. Shops in Rochester are finally starting to hire machinists again. There are a ton of shops in your neck of the woods. What you need to do is network. Who used to call on you to sell tools? Abrasive Tool, IDG, Rero? Call the salesman and tell him who you are and your sad tale. Ask him who is looking for good people. Keep in touch with the other people that were layed off. See what they're doing. Take them out to lunch and discuss opportunities.

I was a Fanuc guy for the 1st 13 years of machining, then I took a job at a Mazak house. I don't care what anyone says, Mazaks are outstanding. Very easy to program and simple to operate. And as you pointed out, there's a ton of them in Buffalo thanks to AW Miller.

It sounds like your ahead of your typical operator. Because you can do all the things associated with the CNC mill. Many operators can't adjust offsets.

If you move to a programmers position, jobs become easier to find. Most people don't want to put up with the crap we take. As a programmer, you become very valuable to your employer because you know about each and every machine you program. The operators only know about their own machines. With the background you possess, it sounds like you could work into a programmers position, when you find a job, of course. Go to the local college and learn AutoCad and MasterCam. Keep learning.

Good Luck
    Kodiak-Seller

Thanks,
    Dave
    www.kodiakcuttingtools.com