An Ethical Dilema! Is Honesty the best policy? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Ethical Dilema! Is Honesty the best policy?

As I have always suspected, this is a good Forum filled with GOOD people!
    When I started this post, I was angry at the idea of having to deal with all those tele-morons again! But after venting in this post, and absorbing all of the valid responces it was easier to move on!

Thanks!
    Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    I have receintly ordered some expensive equipment from an online tool vendor, and with much supprise I found they had sent me two identical items valued at over $175 each!

So I checked the packing slip, my online orderform, and my credit card to see if they double charged me! Well, they did not, and its been over 48 hours sense the transaction took place!

Here is the dilema, several months ago they did the same thing with a different order with values under $100! When I realized it was their mistake, I dialed the 800 number and proceeded on a two hour hold & transfer phone shuffel!
    After fianally speaking with someone reasonably intelligent, they agreed it was their mistake and issued a UPS pickup. Well I asked them why my honesty had no value, and they said that they would give me a credit on the shipping of that order, a mere $10 value!

Well as anyone can see, two hours of doing nothing but dealing with morons on the phone is not very productive, and a credit of $10 was insulting to say the least!

So I'm reluctant to report this oversight error of theirs again!

What would you do?
    The same thing you did Widgy, because it is the right thing to do. You have Morals and in todays world one rarely finds any at all. 1/100

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was overpayed $450 for a medical insurance reimbursement and when I called the first time they told me it was correct. After I hung up the phone knowing it was 450 too much I called again and got someone who saw the error and asked for me to send the check back and they would issue another one. It took them 6-8 weeks to get me the correct check and I was in need of money at the time. A few months later they screwed me by not paying a legitimate claim. Made me feel really good about doing the right thing, NOT!

Just like in Eric's case a company should show care in handling situations like this and not waste our time. Businesses should exceed expectations instead of seeing how much someone will put up, but I guess that is another thread.

By the way, I bought some things from Eric on Ebay and he was great to work with. Even though he sent an incorrect item I felt he showed a lot of care and concern in handling the mistake and correcting it.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is annoying that so many companies make it hard to be honest. That's why I suggested doing the minimum to allow them to get it right.

It's just so hard to get someone with common sense and the ability to fix the problem on the phone.

-Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by InspirationTool View Post
    It is annoying that so many companies make it hard to be honest.
    -Jeff
    Kinda of, BUT....its all relative to honesty. A lot of the time it isn't the company, it's an employee of the company. Sometimes it's a good employee that's having a bad day, sometimes it's a system the company uses that is out of date or has issues, or it's an employee not giving a "honest" effort to the employeer. Or a company not being honest with the employee or customer. Which brings us back to my original point honesty is always the best policy.

Truth is the basis for everything that works. Take it away and all H... breaks loose.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sure honesty is great, but I think that *most* of the time the problem lies with the company. Let's face it, if it takes them 2 hours to answer the phone, it is the companies fault. And I don't think that it is dishonesty as much as it is lack of care.

But in alot of cases, lack for care is just as dangerous and damaging as dishonesty.

I'm a big believer in Hanlons razor.

-Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

My point was honesty is broad ranging, an employee who isn't doing their job is dishonest, in that they are being paid a wage to acomplish something. Stealing time is dishonest. Not giving a "s..." when working for a company is dishonest. A lot of people don't see either of those as being dishonest. Its a lie that has been feed to society by those who have something to gain from the lie. Those try to narrow right and wrong to a small few items, everything else is ok.

But your probably correct that stupidity and ignorance is a significant player also.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Godflesh View Post
    Asking the question on this forum implies to me you would like to return it, and your stating the previous experience tells me you would like the community to validate that the company should be better about these situations.

Return it.
    The company should be better about these things.

Unsolicited Merchandise:
    http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/merch.htm

But--I am not sure incorrect order fullfilment falls under this law. If I recall you might be required to return the extra item if they request it, at thier expense.

This law deals with the U.S. Postal Service. Does it pertaine to U.P.S. (United Parcel Service) shipments as well???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12