Need Help! Bison chuck breakdown.............

Thread: Bison chuck breakdown.............

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bison chuck breakdown.............

I picked up a nice used bison and I'm trying to get the back plate off to change out and would like crack it open to do a total clean up on it before using it.
    I've beat this thing with a rubber mallet till my arm is about to fall off and I can't it crack or get the back plate to move either.
    Yes, I have removed all the visible bolts on both sides and can't get it budge.
    Any clues or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bison chuck breakdown.............

hi leave it imersed in petrol over night, use degreasing spray, thus take some time to clean it; sometimes i put it on the vmc table, and use the showers for a while

be sure that you are hammering it right

use also bronze / aluminium rods

if parts inside the chuck are not in good condition, maybe you can order them separately, so to replace only what needs to be replaced

when i clean/disassemble the chuck, i ask for help at guys with gentle hands : grinding guys, etc

" keep your tongue straight inside your mouth " is the best advice that i have been told so far / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hi leave it imersed in petrol over night, use degreasing spray, thus take some time to clean it; sometimes i put it on the vmc table, and use the showers for a while

be sure that you are hammering it right

use also bronze / aluminium rods

if parts inside the chuck are not in good condition, maybe you can order them separately, so to replace only what needs to be replaced

when i clean/disassemble the chuck, i ask for help at guys with gentle hands : grinding guys, etc

" keep your tongue straight inside your mouth " is the best advice that i have been told so far / kindly
    Appreciate your insight. I searched youtube up and down and couldn't find you guy cracking a chuck. Usually find any and everything on there.

Downloads
    Uploads

so far i have messed with cnc lathe chucks with this construction :

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    so far i have messed with cnc lathe chucks with this construction :

Thanks for the heads up....I was looking for someone breaking a bison and didn't see this one.
    I'll have a look...maybe give me a pointer.

Downloads
    Uploads

On the back of the chuck there are normally tapped holes in the body. These are used to ''jack'' the back of the chuck off of the main body.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    On the back of the chuck there are normally tapped holes in the body. These are used to ''jack'' the back of the chuck off of the main body.
    Thanks Jim...
    Ok...now I feel stupid.
    I forgot to loosen the set-Tru adjustment screws to remove the back plate. Once I did that it basically fell off!
    Heading to get some metric bolts to jack the main body into halves.
    Appreciate all the help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to all your help I'm half way home. Just need to remember how it all goes back together now!
    Not bad for a 400$ find.....not one metal shaving inside....all old grease and wood dust/chips.
    Absolute minimal wear on the scroll and jaws. I can barely find anywhere it's rubbed.
    A little staining on the back side but a quick stoning shows up no high spots.
    Overall happy as a pig in slop. Just need to get the correct back plate now and I'll be able mount this used gem and check her out to see if she plays nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    On the back of the chuck there are normally tapped holes in the body. These are used to ''jack'' the back of the chuck off of the main body
    hi jim, good tip, after reading your reply, i was going to say that those tapped holes are existing or not, depending if the chuck is a direct-mount type or not

i believed that it was about a hydraulic chuck

Quote Originally Posted by cnc Rookie View Post
    Thanks to all your help
    nice job

the satelites are generally ok, look carefully over the archimedean spiral, if it was an abuse, it leaves a mark on it / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

Waiting on a new back plate. This baby is as snug and smooth as it was when it left Poland!