Crimping metal to wood

Thread: Crimping metal to wood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Crimping metal to wood

Does anyone know a tool available, or process for crimping brass tubing onto a wooden dowel? Much like the picture below. I was thinking about using a hose crimper, but I'm not sure that would work. The diameter of the brass tubing is 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch.... and to make things more fun, the brass tubing is also tapered much like the photo below.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Crimping metal to wood

I would try a wire terminal crimper, Harbor Freight has a number of different models. The hydraulic one looks kind of interesting.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...q=wire+crimper

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm could you use a pipe cutter and take out the cutter replacing it with a rounder edge to be user as a bender?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I thought about doing this, but am not sure how to align the pipe cutter's "rounded blade" so that the indentation will meet itself. The taper throws off the line and the blade wants to "corkscrew" down the outside of the ferrule.

I did attempt to make dies, where I aligned two pieces of 1/2" cold roll flat bar, tack welded them together on the ends where the two pieces meet, then drilled from either side right in the center of the seam with a 118 degree drill bit. I also drilled a guide hole and turned a rod to keep the dies aligned while being forced around the brass ferrule. It works pretty good, but there are tiny burrs left where the two dies come together (not sure how to alleviate this, someone I talked to said to polish them really good).

I'd be open to trying the pipe cutter route if there is someway to "cut" (indent) a concentric circle in a tapered ferrule.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim, I'm going to try this next.