Engraving Painted Aluminum - Best painting recipe to use

Thread: Engraving Painted Aluminum - Best painting recipe to use

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Engraving Painted Aluminum - Best painting recipe to use

Not sure if this is the correct section of the forums for this question. If not please let me know.

I am trying to engrave painted aluminum but currently still see some flaking along the cut line. I see this with engraving bits and even small ball nose bits. I run the engravers at 10ipm with anywhere of 0.01 to 0.025 DOC.

I am currently painting 6061-T6 where I use 150grit to scuff the surface and then clean with acetone. I lay down Rustoleum Self Etching Primer and after 30 minutes of the last coat I use Rustoleum Metallic or Rustoleum Universal brands of paint. I dont even start trying to engrave them for about a week so I know they have had a long enough time to cure.

So with that I was curious if there is anyone that has any different experiences they are willing to share or see if my prime/paint process needs to be corrected.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Engraving Painted Aluminum - Best painting recipe to use

I did some engraving a couple month ago, but used a piece of anodized aluminum from ebay, not sure what your best bet will be for paint.

1/16" Dremel ball mill engraving cutter, .01 depth, 5000 RPM 7 IPM with WD-40 sprayed on surface before starting, keeps the little chips right there beside the cut.

Sorry, I'm not much help

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MO Metal View Post
    I did some engraving a couple month ago, but used a piece of anodized aluminum from ebay, not sure what your best bet will be for paint.

1/16" Dremel ball mill engraving cutter, .01 depth, 5000 RPM 7 IPM with WD-40 sprayed on surface before starting, keeps the little chips right there beside the cut.

Sorry, I'm not much help

I had thought about using anodized aluminum as well but I cannot get it in the size I need and the colors are very basic and bland. So that left me with getting the aluminum in the sizes I need and do the paint color I like. More time consuming but if I can get the flaking part sorted out it will be worth it..

Downloads
    Uploads

You might try etching the surface with phosphoric acid (milkstone remover), available at any farm supply and many other places), hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) works also. Then prime with zinc chromate primer. Rather than let the paint dry hard, you might try engraving while it is still somewhat soft. That might help with the flaking.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

What about powder coating?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If the paint flakes, it is hard. Try engraving while the paint is still soft.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You might try etching the surface with phosphoric acid (milkstone remover), available at any farm supply and many other places), hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) works also. Then prime with zinc chromate primer. Rather than let the paint dry hard, you might try engraving while it is still somewhat soft. That might help with the flaking.

That might be too long of a process and too costly but does it work better than just a self-etch primer?

Never thought about engraving while it soft could look into that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What about powder coating?

if I remember some time ago I looked into and it was more costly. Also I don't know how powder coating holds up when being engraved.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nodott View Post
    That might be too long of a process and too costly but does it work better than just a self-etch primer?

Never thought about engraving while it soft could look into that.

It wouldn't take any longer than roughing with 150 grit and washing with acetone. Just wipe it on, it reacts almost instantly, and rinse with hot water. Allow to dry and paint. The zinc chromate primer makes a good bond with the aluminum.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Engraving powder coat works great.
    I engrave fine line text for electronic enclosures. 6061 - t6 from Industrial metals.

Try better paint like a catalyzed auto paint.
    You will need a compressor and sprayer though.

Lay it on as thin as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 65patch View Post
    Engraving powder coat works great.
    I engrave fine line text for electronic enclosures. 6061 - t6 from Industrial metals.

Try better paint like a catalyzed auto paint.
    You will need a compressor and sprayer though.

Lay it on as thin as possible.

I have a friend that is looking into getting automotive paint that will match the colors that I need. He has a spray booth and I will just pay him for the work. Other than that I have had some success by starting off first with lesser depth of cut and then going back and redo the engraving to the full depth of cut I need. Still willing to try and the automotive paint and see if there is some improvements.