Can I machine injection mold ejector pins on a cnc mill ?

Thread: Can I machine injection mold ejector pins on a cnc mill ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can I machine injection mold ejector pins on a cnc mill ?

I have some 3/8 dia injection mold ejector pins that i need to square off the ends, and I would like to use my CNC to do this, so they are nice and flat on the end verses trying to do it on a bench grinder.

Just curious if a standard 3/16 or 1/4 end mill would work since the pins are made with hardened steel.

The list the material as H13 tool steel ( Rockwell C41 )

I would use a bench grinder to get the length in the ball park, and then use the CNC to get them cleaned up to length.

Second question... if I can use the CNC would I be better to use the side of the end mill for cutting them.... or the bottom of the end mill.... or doesn't it matter?

I don't have a lathe, so that's why I'm not going that route.

If I can use a CNC, any ball park starting recipe for the feeds and speeds would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can I machine injection mold ejector pins on a cnc mill ?

Hi,
    the only injection molding pins I've ever encountered were nitride hardened......no machining that, grinding, EDM yes, regular milling or turning no.

Take a file to one just to guess how hard it is, as a hint if its nitrided the file will just skate over it without so much as a mark.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

You could try a diamond wheel. That should work.
    But flood with water, or you will burn out the diamonds.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    I have some 3/8 dia injection mold ejector pins that i need to square off the ends, and I would like to use my CNC to do this, so they are nice and flat on the end verses trying to do it on a bench grinder.

Just curious if a standard 3/16 or 1/4 end mill would work since the pins are made with hardened steel.

The list the material as H13 tool steel ( Rockwell C41 )

I would use a bench grinder to get the length in the ball park, and then use the CNC to get them cleaned up to length.

Second question... if I can use the CNC would I be better to use the side of the end mill for cutting them.... or the bottom of the end mill.... or doesn't it matter?

If I can use a CNC, any ball park starting recipe for the feeds and speeds would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent
    If they are H13 then you can machine then, they come in many types of hardness though, meaning the can be case hardened / nitride coated or through Hardened, they also come with a variety of other types of coatings.

Make a swing fixture for your bench grinder if you don't have a Surface Grinder or Pin Grinder, you can use a grinder with a cutoff wheel to get them to a rough length, like I said if they are just H13 you could finish mill them.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

You could try a diamond wheel. That should work.
    But flood with water, or you will burn out the diamonds.
    Diamond tools including grinding wheels are a poor choice for any ferrous metal. Carbon is highly soluble in iron, and diamond is just carbon when all said and done.
    At the point of contact between the diamond and the iron/steel or whatever there is local heating which can cause the diamond to 'dissolve'. Hard to credit but that is why diamond tools last so
    poorly in ferrous metals even with lots of cooling.

The better choice for hard ferrous metals is CBN (Cubic Boro-Nitirde) wheels.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    You don't need a lathe for that, use your mill as a lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig

Oh, I agree. I do use CBN for steel, but those resin wheels are not cheap. I was suggesting something like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/22530742275...Bk9SR4TCzN3OYQ

Blimey: a slightly excessive URL!

Just search on ebay for 'diamond cutoff wheel'. Only a few $$ for a pack of 10.
    If you burn one or two of them out, no great cost.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I cheat when it comes to nitrided parts, I take them to a local toolmaker who has a Kitamura 5 Axis wire EDM. They treat me pretty good, about $100NZD/hour but man you can get s****load done
    in an hour. I always take date scones too sweeten the deal!

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Hi Craig

Oh, I agree. I do use CBN for steel, but those resin wheels are not cheap. I was suggesting something like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/22530742275...Bk9SR4TCzN3OYQ

Blimey: a slightly excessive URL!

Just search on ebay for 'diamond cutoff wheel'. Only a few $$ for a pack of 10.
    If you burn one or two of them out, no great cost.

Cheers
    Roger
    Why would you need a diamond cutoff wheel, any normal abrasive cutoff wheel will do the job, no matter what the ejector pins are made from or coated with.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I cheat when it comes to nitrided parts, I take them to a local toolmaker who has a Kitamura 5 Axis wire EDM. They treat me pretty good, about $100NZD/hour but man you can get s****load done
    in an hour. I always take date scones too sweeten the deal!

Craig
    Date scones are good, I'm interested in the Kitamura 5 Axis wire EDM, I know most of what is in NZ and what the good shops are using mostly are Fanuc RoboCut wire EDM machines, I don't think Kitamura even make a wire EDM of any kind. they do build one of the better Machining Centers though, if the shop you used is Torks then they have the Fanuc RoboCut wire EDM machines, plus other ram and hole drilling EDM machines.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I'm interested in the Kitamura 5 Axis wire EDM
    Simply, that's what written on the outside and also what they called it, and yes it is Torks. I recall about 5 or 6 years ago seeing them displaying the output of the wire EDM at a trade display, and the machine was new then.
    If I recall correctly they got two, one in Auckland and one in Christchurch. All in all Torks treat me very well, and I am very conscious that I'm just a small scale cash customer and I try to fit into what they are doing
    rather than the other way around, I also make sure they know I appreciate what they do and pay accordingly.

I have had occasion to use the EDM hole drilling machine....bloody fantastic device....if you need one.

Torks have in recent times expanded by taking over another shop.....can't recall what the name is, but is only four or five blocks from here. Has about five guys working there, but the same helpful attitude
    as the main business.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I called in to Torks on my way to a job and you are right, the wire EDM is Fanuc (one in Christchurch, three in Auckland) and the Kitamura is a 5 axis mill.
    They have expanded into bigger premises, the last time I was at the main shop it was really tight, no swing any cats! I mistook the Kitamura for the Fanuc when it was
    pointed to.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Simply, that's what written on the outside and also what they called it, and yes it is Torks. I recall about 5 or 6 years ago seeing them displaying the output of the wire EDM at a trade display, and the machine was new then.
    If I recall correctly they got two, one in Auckland and one in Christchurch. All in all Torks treat me very well, and I am very conscious that I'm just a small scale cash customer and I try to fit into what they are doing
    rather than the other way around, I also make sure they know I appreciate what they do and pay accordingly.

I have had occasion to use the EDM hole drilling machine....bloody fantastic device....if you need one.

Torks have in recent times expanded by taking over another shop.....can't recall what the name is, but is only four or five blocks from here. Has about five guys working there, but the same helpful attitude
    as the main business.

Craig
    NZ has had a bad time with many machine shops closing, so I guess they were able to take advantage of this, it will make them more diverse and have a bigger market share. by expanding, I used them once many years ago for some wire cut press tools. Tool and Die / Mold shops have / are smart people and know how to work a business like this, every customer is just as important as the next, that's how the business rolls, no matter how big or how small a job is it should never make a difference. I have 2-hole poppers myself and a CNC Ram EDM, don't have a need for a wire EDM as these EDM machines do everything we need.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

NZ has had a bad time with many machine shops closing, so I guess they were able to take advantage of this
    Well that may be so, but I have two respondents on the forum, one German and the other English, that they could find no-one prepared to do small jobs despite both countries
    being well supplied with skills. It rather sounds like all the 'Ma and Pa' type shops have shut down in at least Germany and England, leaving only the big players whom are not
    interested in small or hobby customers.

There seems at least here, that there is a growing awareness that exporting all our manufacturing jobs to China (in the main) is a bad idea and now more companies are trying
    to retain skills and capabilities on-shore. If Ytube is to be believed its happening in the US as well. A good thing....and about bloody time!

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Well that may be so, but I have two respondents on the forum, one German and the other English, that they could find no-one prepared to do small jobs despite both countries
    being well supplied with skills. It rather sounds like all the 'Ma and Pa' type shops have shut down in at least Germany and England, leaving only the big players whom are not
    interested in small or hobby customers.

There seems at least here, that there is a growing awareness that exporting all our manufacturing jobs to China (in the main) is a bad idea and now more companies are trying
    to retain skills and capabilities on-shore. If Ytube is to be believed its happening in the US as well. A good thing....and about bloody time!

Craig
    No, that is not the problem at all, it all started in NZ more than 30 years ago, I guess you forget about the lack of apprentices to support the industry this is where it all started, NZ was packed with industry and manufacturing, vehicle / car manufacturing disappeared, Railway workshops closed down and many others, these had hundreds of apprentices, that served the industry and manufacturing, without new blood there is nothing to support the industry, small shops can't survive with one off jobs, they have to have something they can manufacture as well to survive, if you look at Torks, there niche was there wire EDM service and are known allover NZ without it they would have been gone long ago, there were lots of very good small tool maker run machine shops in NZ most are gone because they had no supporting industry, this is the same in any country as you mentioned Germany England, it has very little to do with China, all they did was picked up the slack from countries not wanting to support their own industry and manufacturing, unless you have modern machines you can't compete with the guy next door, as for what you said about the US bringing jobs / work back has been a costly disaster for the consumer and has not helped at all, materials like Steel / Aluminum more than doubled in price hurting every part of manufacturing and then the consumer. Look at the chip shortage problem, this was from some of these changes that has hurt manufacturing big time! so just for a recap Ma and Pa types of machine shops will never survive unless they have a special niche that nobody else has.

Mactec54