How to intentionally make slightly rough surface for better part grip?

Thread: How to intentionally make slightly rough surface for better part grip?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to intentionally make slightly rough surface for better part grip?

Making a drawing die with more curves on one side than the other so thinking about how to keep the blank from pulling to that side. I do have a way to clamp the sheet metal to the face of the ram but also wanting to make the face and maybe the edge radius slightly rough to get a better grip. The metal is prepainted aluminum and don't want to mar the surface although it ends up being an inside surface so slight imperfections are ok. Ideas I have had are gluing some very fine sand paper to the face or running a fly cutter over the surface with the cutting bit oriented to dig into the surface slightly. Maybe do this before or after final surfacing? I have read that a thread mill is sometimes used on the inside of optical tubes to make a less smooth surface which led to the fly cutter idea. For the edge radius I was planning to do that with a corner radius tool but now thinking the small ridges from multiple passes with a ball end mill might be a plus.