Edge finder for small diameter.

Thread: Edge finder for small diameter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Edge finder for small diameter.

I made a router tool that fits in a cat40 holder for my milling center. It is driven by a separate VFD and uses the wash pump for cooling. Note the cat40 spindle does not spin. It is something I made using a 40000 rpm router. The quill and the cat40 are not in perfect alignment. I sometimes touch a spinning tool to my part for alignment by looking for chips. I looked for an edge finder and 3/8" barrel is the smallest I could find. My router takes up to 1/4" shanks. I need the RPMs. I want to make a small steel injection mold die using a 0.010" mill to finish. I am looking for a trick for an edge finder for this router. Is there something like a single straight flute mill I could spin backwards and get an accuracy of about 0.001 inch? My milling center uses a Renishaw touch probe and I have not used an edge finder in a while.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Edge finder for small diameter.

I would use a dowel pin and a piece of paper or a feeler gauge. This works pretty well for most things.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hy, if u wish, pls provide a pic, so to understand better what you need / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    Hy, if u wish, pls provide a pic, so to understand better what you need / kindly
    I think the picture is loaded. It is sitting in a drawer. I bored the holder like a vertical lathe and the router is still about 0.01" off.

I just found a solution. Using a normal cat40 spinning tool with a dowel pin or the like, I wrote an algorithm to touch 4 sides to get the center of the tool setter.
    I store that value as (0,0) in an unused coordinate set and compare it with what I get using the router and make adjustments. I then use the conventional cat40 touch probe...and you know the rest.

My job involves removing about 1 cubic inch using conventional large tooling. I will then do the above and finish with a small tool in the router.
    Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edge finder for small diameter.-20221229_160647-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

think i got it so, you have a 40k rpm turbine, that can hold 1/4shanks, and you wish to know it's offset from main spindle

1/4, is cca6mm ... k

clamp a calibration ring on the table
    er collet chuck+ interapid, test indicator, with 6mm shank, then aling spindle to ring; init 0x 0y
    z up, replace toolholder with turbine, clamp the indicator into it, then jog the axis, and find your offset

in case you think that the extra mile is needed, try to do both at same(small diff) z value, so to avoid tram related deviations

I just found a solution

separate VFD
    please, what is vfd ?

Is there something like a single straight flute mill I could spin backwards and get an accuracy of about 0.001 inch?
    if you wish, can you detail this a bit ? i don't get it, and seems interseting / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

think i got it so, you have a 40k rpm turbine, that can hold 1/4shanks, and you wish to know it's offset from main spindle

1/4, is cca6mm ... k

clamp a calibration ring on the table
    er collet chuck+ interapid, test indicator, with 6mm shank, then aling spindle to ring; init 0x 0y
    z up, replace toolholder with turbine, clamp the indicator into it, then jog the axis, and find your offset

in case you think that the extra mile is needed, try to do both at same(small diff) z value, so to avoid tram related deviations

please, what is vfd ?

if you wish, can you detail this a bit ? i don't get it, and seems interseting / kindly
    All the details are in his post

If you don't know what a VFD is why are you answering the post, a VFD Drive it what drives all AC spindles, and his Spindle is electric not a turbine

1/4" is not 6mm .250 / .2362 = .0138 difference, any good machinist should know this

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by graemeian View Post
    I made a router tool that fits in a cat40 holder for my milling center. It is driven by a separate VFD and uses the wash pump for cooling. Note the cat40 spindle does not spin. It is something I made using a 40000 rpm router. The quill and the cat40 are not in perfect alignment. I sometimes touch a spinning tool to my part for alignment by looking for chips. I looked for an edge finder and 3/8" barrel is the smallest I could find. My router takes up to 1/4" shanks. I need the RPMs. I want to make a small steel injection mold die using a 0.010" mill to finish. I am looking for a trick for an edge finder for this router. Is there something like a single straight flute mill I could spin backwards and get an accuracy of about 0.001 inch? My milling center uses a Renishaw touch probe and I have not used an edge finder in a while.
    Laser Edge Finder can have a 1/4" shank to fit your spindle and will meet your accuracy requirements

https://lasercenteredgefinder.com/shop/

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't know what a VFD is why are you answering
    i feel a powerfull conection to vfd .... i can't explain, i lose myself to it

Downloads
    Uploads

i feel a powerfull conection to vfd .... i can't explain, i lose myself to it
    Then you would be dead if you had a Powerful Connection

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

1/4" edge finders are scarce but I found one at Shars and ordered it a few months ago for a small cnc mill.

https://www.shars.com/fisher-machine...nd-edge-finder