milling supper thin material. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: milling supper thin material.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: milling supper thin material.

Quote Originally Posted by longnho View Post
    I told them about that but they still asked me use material they supplied. so face it to the thickness of the part is only one choice
    I would not do the job, that is the craziest thing I ever heard.

If you insist on doing the job, then glue the material to something flat and reasonably stiff that you can hold in your vice or clamp to your table. Then do the machine work, and then hand them the whole work piece and they can figure out how the release the glue without destroying the part. Oh and charge them a lot to do the work.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

this reminds me of a custom practice : dead-term delivery, using their equipment / material, etc .... just do something, doesn't matter if you can't finish it, but be sure that you deliver it by monday 10 am, because their meeting is at 10:30, and they must present some results : boss, look, i tried, it didn't work, we will analyze why until our next meeting ?! yeah, tommy is a good guy, we have to suport it

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

What you now need to do is to write out a quote, for 2 different ways of doing the job.
    #1: buy shim, machine: $N
    #2: their way, uncertain: $10N (or maybe $20N, with $10N deposit and NO guarantee of delivery and NO refund)

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by longnho View Post
    I told them about that but they still asked me use material they supplied. so face it to the thickness of the part is only one choice
    You sure they are not just messing with you.

What grade is the Stainless Steel ???

What kind of mill do you have ???

Did you quote the job ???

If you where to try and machine these parts, it could be done if you make a clamping frame around the part, and use a vacuum to hold it down, while you rough machine each part, leave stock ( .0008" ) for Grinding.

There is another way as well to machine these parts, where you would feed the material under a clamping plate, to machine a small stick out from the clamp face, as you move the material through you would clamp over the machined area as well, you may still need the vacuum to help hold it down as well. just the clamping may work, but it will have to be a quality fixture for this to work.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

that's kind of a gang mill

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    that's kind of a gang mill
    Nothing like it.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

i mean like a gang lathe that feeds the material, only that is a mill

Downloads
    Uploads

i mean like a gang lathe that feeds the material, only that is a mill
    No a Swiss type cnc lathe, multi tool / spindle, is really a very different process.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You sure they are not just messing with you.

What grade is the Stainless Steel ???

What kind of mill do you have ???

Did you quote the job ???

If you where to try and machine these parts, it could be done if you make a clamping frame around the part, and use a vacuum to hold it down, while you rough machine each part, leave stock ( .0008" ) for Grinding.

There is another way as well to machine these parts, where you would feed the material under a clamping plate, to machine a small stick out from the clamp face, as you move the material through you would clamp over the machined area as well, you may still need the vacuum to help hold it down as well. just the clamping may work, but it will have to be a quality fixture for this to work.
    thank you for your suggestions. I'm working on a Haas with vacuum plate. framing is an good idea to work on this job.
    regard.

Downloads
    Uploads

this reminds me of a custom practice : dead-term delivery, using their equipment / material, etc .... just do something, doesn't matter if you can't finish it, but be sure that you deliver it by monday 10 am, because their meeting is at 10:30, and they must present some results : boss, look, i tried, it didn't work, we will analyze why until our next meeting ?! yeah, tommy is a good guy, we have to suport it
    lolz that's exactly what going on here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    What you now need to do is to write out a quote, for 2 different ways of doing the job.
    #1: buy shim, machine: $N
    #2: their way, uncertain: $10N (or maybe $20N, with $10N deposit and NO guarantee of delivery and NO refund)

Cheers
    Roger
    I will ask them for more $$ on this job. this is a prototype job so they are lazy to buy material

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would not do the job, that is the craziest thing I ever heard.

If you insist on doing the job, then glue the material to something flat and reasonably stiff that you can hold in your vice or clamp to your table. Then do the machine work, and then hand them the whole work piece and they can figure out how the release the glue without destroying the part. Oh and charge them a lot to do the work.
    thank you for your suggestions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12