Indexing issues on two-sided parts milled on 3-axis cnc machine

Thread: Indexing issues on two-sided parts milled on 3-axis cnc machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Indexing issues on two-sided parts milled on 3-axis cnc machine

How do you guys prevent indexing issues on parts that requiring turning half way through the job on 3-axis cnc machines?

I've been advised that simply turning the part over manually is a better option than adding a low cost 4th axis (especially for milling metals). I just can't see how I would be able to position the stock and touch-off for the second side accurately.

Do you guys have a trick for this?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Indexing issues on two-sided parts milled on 3-axis cnc machine

You can make a fixture with a couple of dowels sticking up on the center-line. This works if you're cutting your part out of a block of material, so that it remains suspended by tabs in a surrounding frame. The dowels slide into holes in the frame, and you release the clamps, remove the part, flip it over and re-clamp. Some CAM programs have routines for this as well.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You can make a fixture with a couple of dowels sticking up on the center-line. This works if you're cutting your part out of a block of material, so that it remains suspended by tabs in a surrounding frame. The dowels slide into holes in the frame, and you release the clamps, remove the part, flip it over and re-clamp. Some CAM programs have routines for this as well.
    I can sort of see how using dowels could help me flip a part over while keeping it in the same place.

It seems like I'd be better off with a cheap manual rotary table for indexing though (if I'm going to have the stock suspended between two fixtures anyway).

I'll give it a try and see if I can manage to touch off in the right place after loading a 2nd gcode file for the other side. I usually gave to reset everything and re-zero in Linuxcnc whenever I load a new file.

Have you tried the dowel method? If so, please can you post a pic of the fixtures you used to hold the part?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I can sort of see how using dowels could help me flip a part over while keeping it in the same place.

It seems like I'd be better off with a cheap manual rotary table for indexing though (if I'm going to have the stock suspended between two fixtures anyway).

I'll give it a try and see if I can manage to touch off in the right place after loading a 2nd gcode file for the other side. I usually gave to reset everything and re-zero in Linuxcnc whenever I load a new file.

Have you tried the dowel method? If so, please can you post a pic of the fixtures you used to hold the part?
    You normally have a machined area where you can indicate your part, to reestablish your X Y Zero, that is how machinists do it, no amount of dowels is going to precisely relocate the part once you flip it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post

You don't rezero X and Y, that is the point.

Plenty of videos around of the process

Downloads
    Uploads

If the part has feature that is accessible from both sides like a hole or corner you can touch off from that feature after the flip. John Saunders of NYC CNC on YouTube has some good videos on work holding. Example here:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    If the part has feature that is accessible from both sides like a hole or corner you can touch off from that feature after the flip. John Saunders of NYC CNC on YouTube has some good videos on work holding. Example here:
    I tried this plus dowels that awerby suggested and it works fairly well.

Even if a part doesn't have a hole all the way through, you can add one to the stock before starting, so I think I can use this method for most of what I do.

Even if this is slightly less accurate than using a 3+1 set up on a 4 axis machine, it may still work out better overall.

I seem to get a far better finish when I bolt work to the table than when I use any type of work-holding that suspends stock above the table (as it would be in a chuck on a rotary axis).