Alternate use for abrasive chop saw?

Thread: Alternate use for abrasive chop saw?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alternate use for abrasive chop saw?

I am in the process of rearranging my metal workshop. One tool I am trying to decide if it should stay readily accessible or move to once in a while needed storage is my old 14" 3300RPM abrasive cutoff saw. At this point I only use it for cutting really nasty stuff I don't want to risk a band-saw blade on. I don't think I have used it in a year or more.

I have several other ways to cut stock down to size. A 4x6 import bands saw and a plasma cutter serves the vast majority of my day to day stock cutting. I also have a 10" Delta chop saw I plan on putting a nonferrous metal cutting blade on for aluminum. These feed a mini mill, 10" Atlas lathe or welding projects.

I vaguely remember seeing some one use one to good effect for sharpening cutting bits. I do have a 6" bench grinder and a belt sander for that. Any one have a, "why have I not known about this before?!?" kind of use? Could it be better at cutting relief into HSS lathe tools than a normal bench grinder? I could build a tool plat form for it if that's the case.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Alternate use for abrasive chop saw?

If you have a bandsaw, I can't think of any reason to own a chop saw unless like me you need to cut down rubber hose containing a metal spring to keep it open.
    So rubber hose is the only thing my chop saw has ever cut!

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

You could turn it into a cold cut saw. This guy is pretty insightful.

This is a really good video of how's and why's turning a miter saw into a cold cut saw. I dont see why you couldn't do it with a fiber disk saw

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen that video, I don't see that replacing my other cutting methods. I was more thinking of sharpening or other things you would use a bench grinder for. I do remember seeing some one sharpen a drill bit or end mill with one, but I can't remember if that was because that's what was available or because it had some advantage I can't think of.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tjbaudio View Post
    I I do remember seeing some one sharpen a drill bit or end mill with one, but I can't remember if that was because that's what was available or because it had some advantage I can't think of.

I agree with you. I can't think of a reason it would be better to use a chop saw.