0 0%
  • Positive

1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Negitive or positive inserts

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Negitive or positive inserts

Hi I have been machining for most of my life, and have used mostly negative tools because of the cost. I do know they take more HP, now that I am trying CNC and would like to know if I can still use the same inserts. The lathe I have is a import from China. The motor is a Siemens 7.5 HP with a Siemens controller, and Hiwin ball screws. Any advice would help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Negitive or positive inserts

hy tooling costs, especially for long setups, should be <5%

general turning should easy target <10%, and general milling <20%

there are some shop owners that do always consider tooling costs, and try to get a better deal ... and there are few others that know that tooling cost is not the major priority, and some of this very few analyze the unitar costs / time unit / each cnc, even if they have plenty

a negative polished insert ( or a sharp edge type), requires less cutting force than a positive insert with similar nose radius

the chipbreaker geometry also has an influence on the cutting force, thus is not only the positive/negative type as a major rule

Any advice would help
    to get started on a lathe, just get a box of w rad0.8, v rad0.4 and maybe v rad 0.2 for smooth finishes, and cut off width 2.5 - 3 + maybe a set of hss drills from your local weekend market

along the way, depending on your needs, get some vhm drills, id tools, threading inserts ( maybe partial profile to cover a wider range); for short id turning, consider also u-drills, since their inserts cost is affordable, they allow stable boring depths of 5d, and most of the times they are coolant through

good luck

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...