Drill press vs mini mill vs CNC

Thread: Drill press vs mini mill vs CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drill press vs mini mill vs CNC

"Mini Mill vs Drill Press" for any form of milling/machine beyond drilling holes has been beat to death, but I have a slightly different twist on it.

I currently have a 3D printer, 100W 700x500mm CO2 laser, and an 800W 6040 CNC. I've been looking at getting a drill press to complete the collection to bridge the gap between putting various pieces together.

As part of my search, I've also been considering "I might as well get an LMS 3990 if I'm going to get a drill press". The drill press and mill being preferred over setting up a job on the CNC for something quick-n-dirty.

However, I don't see me doing much metal work. I've been using CNC for plastic and wood (which has largely been made much faster and easier with the laser).

My latest consideration is just getting a handwheel for the CNC and using it rather than actually doing the CAM prep for simple stuff.

With this description, any thoughts to help me decide between a handwheel and the LMS? ~$150 vs $1,500 isn't a primary criteria (although the low end would make the wife happier ). It's more "taking up more room in the already crowded garage for something that may not really provide much benefit."

I *think* that the handwheel will be more effective for me, but I don't know what I don't know...