lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket


Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    494
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

    im trying to find a tool, but i dont know what its called if it exists. Might need to be custom made, not sure. Attached is a pic of the part to be milled, and the tool needed. This is a small delrin link end that will be popped onto a 5mm steel linkage ball. a 4.5mm hole is first drilled through the link, Then the lollipop drops down in the center and interpolates in a circle to form a 5mm sphere socket. So the tool needs a 2.5mm radius, but the diameter squished down to 4.5mm max, preferably 4.25mm or so. Ive found plenty of undercutting tools, but they are a spherical end which wont work for this. Does the tool im looking for exist? Or most likely gonna need custom made? The 5mm socket size is also not required. I will be making both the linkage balls and the delrin link ends so something close to 5mm will work if there is something close in size.lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-tool-jpg

    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-tool-jpg  


  2. #2
    Member ChrisW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lake In The Hills
    Posts
    314
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

    Most likely it will be custom cutter

    Harvey Tool - Carbide Keyseat Cutters - Full Radius

    Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk



  3. #3
    Member Jim Dawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3970
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

    Why not just use a 4mm spherical lollipop, then do a 3 axis interpolation to cut the shape you want in the delrin. You're basically cutting a barrel shape in the work.

    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    494
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Most likely it will be custom cutter

    Harvey Tool - Carbide Keyseat Cutters - Full Radius

    Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I figured probably not gonna find something that will work as is. There is one idea I'm thinking about if a custom tool is crazy expensive. I could get a regular spherical 5mm lollipop, grind away one side of it, mount the tool in an eccentric sleeve to bring the cutting flute in slightly. Would only be a single flute cutting tool, but in delrin it may work just fine.



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    494
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Why not just use a 4mm spherical lollipop, then do a 3 axis interpolation to cut the shape you want in the delrin. You're basically cutting a barrel shape in the work.
    Not sure I follow. You mean like multiple stepovers to 3d mill the 5mm sphere with the 4mm tool? That would work, butbi also need to be very efficient with this part. Will be making potentially a thousand or so on my mill turn setup out of bar stock. Fully automated. Hoping to get cycle time down to 20 or 30 seconds each. I guess forming a 5mm sphere with a 4mm ball probably wouldn't take many stepovers to get a good shape. I'll consider that for sure



  6. #6
    Member ChrisW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lake In The Hills
    Posts
    314
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    Yeah I figured probably not gonna find something that will work as is. There is one idea I'm thinking about if a custom tool is crazy expensive. I could get a regular spherical 5mm lollipop, grind away one side of it, mount the tool in an eccentric sleeve to bring the cutting flute in slightly. Would only be a single flute cutting tool, but in delrin it may work just fine.
    Yes it should work same as thread milling using id thread tool for lathes

    Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    83
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

    I think Jim is on the money here. I think you should use a 5/32 in (3.97mm) lollipop mill to do this operation. The first pass would be around the center of the ring and remove the most material. The second and third passes would be at the top and bottom of the ring. At this point, your worst material location would only be less than one thousandth out of radius. If you did two more passes at the optimal spots, you would only be 0.16 thousandths off radius.
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-1-png
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-2-3-png
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-2-3-zoom-jpg
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-4-5-png
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-4-5-zoom-jpg

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-1-png   lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-2-3-zoom-jpg   lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-2-3-png   lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-4-5-png  

    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-4-5-zoom-jpg  


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    494
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    I think Jim is on the money here. I think you should use a 5/32 in (3.97mm) lollipop mill to do this operation. The first pass would be around the center of the ring and remove the most material. The second and third passes would be at the top and bottom of the ring. At this point, your worst material location would only be less than one thousandth out of radius. If you did two more passes at the optimal spots, you would only be 0.16 thousandths off radius.
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-1-png
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-2-3-png
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-2-3-zoom-jpg
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-4-5-png
    lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket-step-4-5-zoom-jpg
    Wow thanks! I was curious what the scallop height would be at different pass numbers but didn't get around to actually checking like you did. Indeed it does look like this would give good results pretty quickly. The 5 pass scenario with 1.6 tenth scallop is plenty good enough and plenty fast enough. Especially since this is delrin. Probably no more than a few seconds to get that done.



  9. #9
    Member deadlykitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    2894
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

    hy
    ... 1 clamp ( faster & expensive ) : y lathe + lolipop endmill
    ... 2 clamps ( slower & cheaper ) : non y lathe + without endmill + custom fixture / kindly

    Last edited by deadlykitten; 11-25-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    ... chip happens


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket

lollipop endmill for milling a spherical socket