tooling for tough steel

Thread: tooling for tough steel

Downloads
    Uploads

Default tooling for tough steel

EN24 817M40 4340 ASTM A29 tough stock with a rough finish

What would you recommend, indexable tips or carbide? this is the part I need to machine, by the 100s:

tooling for tough steel-3d-grab-jpg

6mm (0.236) thick from 8mm (0.315) stock, faced both sides

mid recess has a 3mm (0.118) rad

currently using tips but they bang alot on this tough material like it needs a keener edge, probably have stay with tips for the facing - 45mm (1.770) wide cut but thinking about carbides for the sides and recess?

cheers,

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tooling for tough steel-3d-grab-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tooling for tough steel

That looks like a nasty little part to build. But maybe not so bad with some fixturing.

Maybe look at some different insert geometry, maybe check with your tool vendor for recommendations. I would definitely use carbide endmills for the profile and interior work. Use the largest carbide bullnose (3mm R on the bullnose) endmill that would make the larger radii. I would rough it out with a rougher, then change endmills for finishing. I'm assuming you have a tool changer on your machine.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

this is the part I need to machine, by the 100s
    hi begin on live tooling lathe, from circa-o90*250 stock ( imagine this setup on a spindle with bore > 90 ); finish on mill

check attached

main problem is not tooling, but fixture rigidity and costs+downtime with your actual stock / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

if you go with solid carbides then I'd suggest trying Gorilla mill . Their variable flutes are pretty tough to beat , other than their sasquatch series which is incredible . They are more pricey than a lot of the other tools in the market , but in my opinion they are the best , especially for harder materials