How do you cut your raw steel and aluminium stock?

Thread: How do you cut your raw steel and aluminium stock?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do you cut your raw steel and aluminium stock?

I have an evolution 210mm sliding mitre saw but when cutting steel it would chatter and now the gear has broke on the motor but its an integral part of the motor so this is scrap..

Everything apart from a handheld grinder is very expensive.

I've got a little stand not for my 4" grinder but cutting through steel the cut slants off a lot and also takes a long time, gets very hot.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you cut your raw steel and aluminium stock?

The best thing to use is a cold saw. This rotates at a relatively low speed with coolant feed and has an integral vise and clamp to keep the stock securely in place when cutting. Next best is a horizontal bandsaw. Then comes an abrasive chop saw, like one of these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3_200510263?cm

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used a mitre saw a lot on aluminum but it's not what I'd consider safe for steel . Your best off with a horizontal bandsaw , especially for safety sake and way less mess . Keep an eye on craigslist , facebook market etc , I managed a deal on a super nice saw for a couple hundred and it'll be good for a lifetime

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a dry cut metal chop saw. Below is a good video comparison of 2 brands, with some cutting demonstrations in the video. I personally have an off- brand version and have had no real problems cutting everything from steel bar and shapes to aluminum bar and shapes. Cuts nice and square and is not burning hot when done like an abrasive chop saw.

Downloads
    Uploads

For cutting aluminum I use one of my Evolution saws , one small chop saw with a roll case, one larger hand held. I have used the Evolution saws on mild steel and stainless, but the blades don't live long in stainless, seems to do OK in mild steel. I also have an Evolution blade in my table saw for cutting aluminum plate, but you have to be very careful when doing that.

Sometimes I use the abrasive chop saws for steel, but I really don't like them. They work OK with a good Norton wheel, not so good with an import wheel.

Most of the time I use the horizontal band saw for longer material, for shorter material maybe the vertical band saw.

If I don't feel like dragging a full bar of steel angle or something like that into the shop to cut in the bandsaw, I might use the port-a-band to slice off what I need in place.

The only time I use a angle grinder for a cutoff is when I can't really use any other tool to do the job.

Have been thinking about buying a cold saw.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 12-04-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    I use a dry cut metal chop saw. Below is a good video comparison of 2 brands, with some cutting demonstrations in the video. I personally have an off- brand version and have had no real problems cutting everything from steel bar and shapes to aluminum bar and shapes. Cuts nice and square and is not burning hot when done like an abrasive chop saw.

109 how do you find the blade life for steel? My Evolution and Erbauer blades chipped and worn quite quickly and they are £££

Downloads
    Uploads

Horizontal bandsaw and for larger sheet materials plasma.
    I had a dewalt 14" abrasive cutoff saw... way too messy. Bought an Evolution and cutting mild steel tubing started smoking and motor quit. FWIW, I thought (mine at least) was a piece of junk... returned it for a refund.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are on a budget, its hard to go past a 6"x4" horizontal bandsaw. They come with a bolt on table plate so it coverts to a vertical table bandsaw as well. I got a replacement laser cut out of 4mm steel plate and it works much better than the basic pressed metal one. I wore my first bandsaw out and bought one that swivels which is much better made. The accuracy of the cut (once you get it dialed in) saves a lot of time if welding etc and you can go off and do something while its cutting away. I call it my dumb apprentice because I have to set up every cut for him!

For aluminium, its hard to go past a cheap carpenters drop saw and put an aluminum blade in it which you should be able to buy from any hardware store. You can use the supplied blade but its really too coarse so make sure you let it get up to speed before cutting. The first dropsaw I bought cost $35 and lasted one hour and then it took half an hour to blow out the aluminium chips before I took it back for a refund and upgraded to a $100 one which is still running years later. The aluminium blade works fine for timber too!

I do have a chop saw but all its ever cut is rubber hose with a wire spring in it. I find they are much more expensive to run, way more noisy and nowhere near as accurate as the band saw (and can't cut plastic either). The bandsaw is a much better solution!

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au