Small, lightweight, precision chuck

Thread: Small, lightweight, precision chuck

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Small, lightweight, precision chuck

I realize this is very unusual request - I need to find Small, lightweight chuck for engraving small cylindrical parts with pin jaws.
    Basically, I need to find something similar to the one (65mm) on the attached pictures.
    I don't have very strict requirements:

- Diameter - 40-70mm
    - As light as possible
    - Pin jaws
    - Preferably with a grip

I searched for hours online, but I couldn't find anything suitable.
    Does anyone know a brand or distributor that offers something similar?

Small, lightweight, precision chuck-img_20180901_100636-jpgSmall, lightweight, precision chuck-img_20180901_100656-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small, lightweight, precision chuck-img_20180901_100636-jpg   Small, lightweight, precision chuck-img_20180901_100656-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Small, lightweight, precision chuck

I think Sherline makes a small pin chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

https://www.sherline.com/product-cat...ts/chuck-jaws/

Downloads
    Uploads

ripperj, thank you for your suggestion. I forgot to mention something very important - The chuck will be mounted directly on the shaft of a servo motor and it will turn fast in both directions. All Sherline chucks use a simple thread mounting which is great for lathes but it is not suitable for fast two-directional rotation.

I have a Sherline lathe and I love the quality. I looked at their chucks first, however, none of them is suitable for this application.

I found this one - link
    It provides an option for back-plate mounting. It is small enough for the motor to turn it directly but it would require different jaws... Also, I am not thrilled about the quality so I rather look for something else.

The 2.5" Sherline chuck has the right size, weight, jaws, but I can't figure out how to mount it on the motor shaft for 2-directional turning. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Could probably turn the threaded part off the back of the Sherline and bolt it to an adapter to your motor shaft

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Could probably turn the threaded part off the back of the Sherline and bolt it to an adapter to your motor shaft
    I looked at that but unfortunately, it is not possible. The back of the chuck is the hand-grip part and it has to move freely.
    After the holiday I'll contact Sherline and ask if they could offer some solution, but I am not optimistic.

Small, lightweight, precision chuck-3jawplan-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small, lightweight, precision chuck-3jawplan-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I would just build an adapter for the motor that replicates the spindle nose, pinned or Loc-Tited in place would allow high speed reversals. But the problem that I see is that those are not 2 piece jaws, so that would preclude removing the jaw tops and screwing in pins.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

hello storen what you need is kind of a quick-change type; there are chucks that are built this way, thus the face is slim, and you only change the face to switch from 2-3-4 jaws, etc ...

at this moment i don't know any distributor for such stuff, but i guess you may find something if you search a bit / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...