CNC retrofitting fundamentals

Thread: CNC retrofitting fundamentals

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC retrofitting fundamentals

hi,

i am CNC machines repairman. Mostly mechanical and electrical parts and units. I am wondering how cnc retrofiting is done. Specifically i am interested in how operating system (for example SINUMERIK) is adaptable to machine which is modernized. How to program PLC? Which programming language do i have to know (C, LADER...). I was trying to find somethig on internet but i cant find enithing. Maybe someone have manuals or something, or could share his experience with me how to do this kind of projects.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC retrofitting fundamentals

You ask a hard question.

First I normally look at the machine and the electrical documentation for the machine and decide what original components to use and which to replace. Then create an I/O map to decide how to connect the new controls. Normally you can use existing limit switches, some other electrical hardware, the power components, and many times the servos and drives.

Then decide what control to use that meets the requirements of the retrofit. As far as software language, it is dependant on the control that you choose to use. It could be done with Ladder, C, C++, C#, VB, VB.net, or some proprietary language that is specific to the control. Or may require some combination of proprietary and common languages, which is normally the case.

I'm not aware of any manuals that give instructions for doing a retrofit, this normally comes from your experience.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Both Fagor, Heidenhain and Anilam provide excellent OEM documentation on their websites and it is free to download. I would imagine most other systems are the same. You can check them out before you start spending money on hardware. Fagor includes a large section in their documentation on PLC programming including examples. My advice is don't attempt use any system unless you can get this documentation.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know Jim D. fairly well from some advanced CNC projects he has documented. I consider him one of the most knowlegable sources I know of for CNC upgrades and retrofits. He has taught my Son and I a great deal. That said, for myself and some recent work we have done , I think you need to break this down in to key/core systems, and knowing how to work with industrial systems and components. Some places like Automation Direct are a great place to window shop and get some insights into tech and hardware/software solutions. https://www.automationdirect.com They also offer consultative type help lines that you may call and discuss. A recent example for myself was the need to upgrade my older DC servos from tach-based 80's stuff to newer quad-differential type for a Centroid retrofit. Using their catalog and online docs I was able to spec a replacement, and upgrade to a set of encoders that were withing spec's for a Centroid CNC uplift from an Allan Bradly controllers (also from the 80's). I was looking at these guys for some basic PLC stuff.. they offer a slew of options there and I have seen trainer kits out there. The Centroid people also offered a lot of information on how to achieve the desired outcome for the entire upgrade. My point is that Implementation engineers, and engineering support are a great way to get answers from companies selling many complex systems and widgets. Make calls and find website support numbers. I once spent a lot of time w/ a bored AC motor sales engineer who spent hours on the phone w/ me going over a project. Seems he wanted something different to do at times as well. Anyway, This is just 1 quick and simple example for myself.... So many company's will help you get there, but you need to know what you need at some key/core systems concept levels as well.