Turn small aluminum parts in my spindle?

Thread: Turn small aluminum parts in my spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Turn small aluminum parts in my spindle?

The other day I had this idea and I'm curious if anyone has tried it. I have a 3 axis cnc with a 2.2kw spindle. I need some small aluminum posts, 6mm at the largest diameter, 40mm long. I was thinking maybe I can chuck some 6mm aluminum rod in my er collet and turn it like a lathe. Cutting tool would be secured in my vice stationary and the turning part on the spindle would move along z and x axis. Assuming I can wrap my head around the cam, should this work? Anyone try it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Turn small aluminum parts in my spindle?

Like this?

I don't think the 2.2kw spindle has enough torque at low speeds.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes! exactly like that. for what im trying to do, i think it could work. Just needs to be really small diameter to be in the right rpm range and have enough torque. I might give it a try. Pretty easy to tell if the spindle isnt happy so ill be ready to back it off. But yeah, in that video they had 5/8 stock which would definately put me at too much sfm and not enough torque at 6k, but with 1/4 stock, i think i would be within acceptable numbers

Downloads
    Uploads

That could go spectacularly wrong in a millisecond. Those spindles run much faster than a lathe, and without support on the far end of your aluminum rod, the potential for disaster is real and present. What happens when the rod decides to bend a little?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

of course, it may work there are cnc's built on this idea ( check link below )

if you wish, use a hidraulic collet with peripheral cooling, so to grab nice the aluminium rod

also, if rpm is high, use a gears attachement ( ratio 1:5, 1:10, etc ) so to multiply the rpm output by the spindle, so to avoid spindle stress at high rpms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2tRieVsx2T8

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

... and don't forget to put the tools on the 4th axis i can speed up that setup, by using low clearances ( 1.5mm ) and multiple safe-positions

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    ... the potential for disaster is real and present
    this is life

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

forget the CAM

... steal a lathe program from the forum
    ... modify preparatory codes
    ... X coordinates : = X coordinates / 2 ; this may not deliver the G03/G02s , so better activate an X scale = 0.5 ( if your controller has this function )

kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That could go spectacularly wrong in a millisecond. Those spindles run much faster than a lathe, and without support on the far end of your aluminum rod, the potential for disaster is real and present. What happens when the rod decides to bend a little?
    You make it sound like running a lathe without a tail stock is unheard of. It's pretty common isn't it? Obviously a tail stock is needed for very long skinny parts, but if kept within limits, it should really be no different from doing it in a lathe as far as the risks of not using tail stock.

As for rpm being higher than a lathe, yes I realize my rpm range is less than optimal, but for the optimal sfm on 1/4 inch stock, I'm within the correct range