Speeds and feeds for 3d milling aluminum

Thread: Speeds and feeds for 3d milling aluminum

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Speeds and feeds for 3d milling aluminum

I'm doing most 3d milling with a 3 flute zrn 1/4 ball. I do roughing at 8400rpm and 1.5 thou chip load, 1mm scallop, leaving .1mm for final finish. I'm fine with all that, but I imagine the rules change once you're doing the final cut. I usually finish with a .1mm scallop, same rpm and chip load. Seems to work fine but is it optimal? Should I be doing something different for final cut when it's taking the last .1mm? Btw, doing most of my parts out of 7075

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Speeds and feeds for 3d milling aluminum

Here are the parameters I recommend Finish 3D Milling at with a 1/4" Diameter 3 Flute Ball Nose ZRN Coated End Mill for Aluminum:

Axial DOC: .004"
    Radial DOC (or Stepover): .010"
    Scallop Height (RA): 101µin
    RPM: 12,000 (or whatever your Max RPM is at)
    CLPT: .0055"
    IPM: 198

I've seen the best finishes from the Helical 3 Flute Variable Pitch Ball Nose End Mill for Aluminum in their ZPLUS Coating. Here is a link to it if you are ever looking for another option:
    Helical: 1/4" Dia x 3/8" LOC x 3 Flute Variable Pitch Ball Nose ZPLUS Coated End Mill

Hopefully this helps!

Mike

www.toolhit.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ToolHIT View Post
    Here are the parameters I recommend Finish 3D Milling at with a 1/4" Diameter 3 Flute Ball Nose ZRN Coated End Mill for Aluminum:

Axial DOC: .004"
    Radial DOC (or Stepover): .010"
    Scallop Height (RA): 101µin
    RPM: 12,000 (or whatever your Max RPM is at)
    CLPT: .0055"
    IPM: 198

I've seen the best finishes from the Helical 3 Flute Variable Pitch Ball Nose End Mill for Aluminum in their ZPLUS Coating. Here is a link to it if you are ever looking for another option:
    Helical: 1/4" Dia x 3/8" LOC x 3 Flute Variable Pitch Ball Nose ZPLUS Coated End Mill

Hopefully this helps!

Mike
    Wow that's crazy fast, about 5 times the feed I was running. Also like 3 times the chip load. makes sense though, at such a small radial stepover, chip load is much less than the linear calculation. I'll give it a try and see how it does. If it works out great, a usual 2 hour 3d mill turns into 25 minutes which is awesome. Thanks for the advice

I looked at the tool you linked. It looks about identical to what I'm using, it's a 1/4 3 flute helical zrn ball from maritool for 19 bucks. What advantage would I see from the one you linked? Is ZPLUS coating much different from zrn?

Last edited by QuinnSjoblom; 05-07-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    Wow that's crazy fast, about 5 times the feed I was running. Also like 3 times the chip load. makes sense though, at such a small radial stepover, chip load is much less than the linear calculation. I'll give it a try and see how it does. If it works out great, a usual 2 hour 3d mill turns into 25 minutes which is awesome. Thanks for the advice

I looked at the tool you linked. It looks about identical to what I'm using, it's a 1/4 3 flute helical zrn ball from maritool for 19 bucks. What advantage would I see from the one you linked? Is ZPLUS coating much different from zrn?
    It most likely is identical for half the price, I think you will find that the ZPlus is the same coating as the ZRN this is one of the best coating for Aluminum , which is a C7 and the next best is Tib2 C8

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54 is correct, the ZPLUS and ZRN Coatings are near identical. They both will add lubricity and give a little better tool life over an Uncoated tool in Aluminum. The Helical Tool has given me the best finishes I have seen 3D Milling in Aluminum due to the Tolerance Held on the Radius, Polished Edge Prep and Variable Pitch Flute Design to break up Harmonics. But if the finish you are getting with the current tool is looking great and holds up then I'd stick with the tool at the better price point too!

Mike

www.toolhit.com