Compressed air system design advice

Thread: Compressed air system design advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Compressed air system design advice

I am installing one of these rigs between my compressor and my Haas VF2:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/42008185

The compressor (a 20 gallon unit from California Air Tools) has a standard 1/4 in NPT quick release coupler on the output. It is located about 16 feet away from the VF2's air intake port.

The dryer setup has 1/2 NPT in and out.

I bought this hose for both the input and output sides:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/55883409

The setup I want would have a manifold with a few (4 ?) standard 1/4 in NPT quick release couplers for general shop stuff and then connect to the input of this dryer with the 1/2 hose. The output of the dryer would go directly to the VF2.

One of my goals was to avoid quick release connectors on the path going to the VF2 in order to reduce restriction. I am not sure how to go about connecting the hoses at either end. The threaded ends don't swivel. In other words, you have to spin the entire hose to thread the end into the dryer unit.

First thought was to just use 1/2 quick release couplers. They flow far more than the standard 1/4 in couplers. This feels "unholy" but it would work. Not a great selection of these couplers, I guess they might not be that popular.

I also found swivel fittings like this one:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09725300

Not sure how well these things might survive. MSC has precious little information on a lot of their air components so you kind of have to guess based on pictures and other research. I gather this thing is a coupler where both halves can spin independently. That would work but, how good is the seal?

The other type of coupler I found looks something like this one. I've seen these used on diesel-powered jackhammer rigs.McMaster has a type where the locking element spins independently of the rest, so no twisting of the hose at all.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/48440606

I am looking for advise from those who might have traveled this path before me. Is there something out there I should be looking at that I have not listed here?

Thanks,

-Martin

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Compressed air system design advice

CNCs don't need that much air flow. Couplers aren't that big of a deal. Just use quality couplers.

Save yourself some bucks:

https://www.usaweld.com/Max-Dry-for-...-p/25310-2.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

What he said. Regular 1/4" couplers would work just fine, they can provide ten times the airflow your machine requires.

Downloads
    Uploads

While this is all true, there's nothing wrong with making the effort to build a better system. As more loads are placed on an air system there could be issues. Back when I had a VF3SS with side tool changer we had some problems with the compressed air distribution system. The solution was to install a small accumulator tank right under the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you are correct in avoiding quick couplers. When the Haas changes tools it uses alot of air. They even make mention of it in the manual. Plus they eventually leak like a sieve. I myself cannot stand hissing compressed air. Instead of spending a bunch of money on big hose and non standard couplers, just use PEX to plumb your machine. Run it straight to it. Full flow and no leaks.
    You will almost never need to disconnect it anyhow. When you do just close the ball valve you put in-line and cut the PEX loose.

When making convenience drops for air tools and such, add a ball valve ahead of the coupler so you can totally shut it off when its not needed. Eliminates the leak