where to source motorcycle blank hubs?

Thread: where to source motorcycle blank hubs?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default where to source motorcycle blank hubs?

I am thinking of cutting a couple of wheels on my mill. I know AMC sells the blanks with, I believe, a 2.550" inner hole, but who sells the hubs?

I know the hubs come in various sizes but I also don't think every shop cutting wheels is making their own hubs. AMC doesn't sell hubs - its the last part I need to go from a blank to a rolling wheel on the bike.

Any leads?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check with Custom Chrome, Don´t know if they will sell just the hubs but they are listed separately in the catalogue.

on the other side you could make the hubs just to set your wheels off against all others, I made my own hubs because there where´nt too many wheelmakers producing wide wheels for the V-rod at the time, not too difficult.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where to source motorcycle blank hubs?-rear_original-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

gotis,

thanks for the info - do you have any info on the layout of the hub? Most I've seen have 10 bolt holes - 5 to hold the hub to the wheel, 5 to hold the wheel to the bike. I've never seen a CAD drawing of what the hub should be like - bolt size, spacing, material thicknesses, etc.

Do you have that and would be willing to share? I figure they are just 6061-T6 like the rest of the wheel yeah?

Nice lookign work in that pic - thanks for sharing!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well i did the hubs on an old manual lathe so I don´t have any cad drawings, but as far as the bolt patterns goes I used the same patterns as the rotors and used 10 bolts for the rearwheel and 5 for the front and I did use 6061-T6.

On the rear 5 bolts are mounted from the left and 5 from the right, the tapped holes on the right hub are straight through and the rotor is mounted in the same holes, I used the cushdrive on the beltwheel side so I could not do the same on that side.

I used high grade 3/8-3" allenbolts with at least 3/4" of threads engaged

The center of my wheels are 1" thick and the hole, I think was, 2-1/2"so I just made the hubs with a portion of each side to fit in the hole.

the Bearings on the V-rod are 52mm outer, 1" inner and 17mm wide, yes mismatch between imperial and metric!,I turned the bearing seats about 51.96mm for a pressfit, worked perfectly and I now have about 10000kilometers on them without any problems, Oh! one thing, take them to be balanced before you mount the tires, Mine was out 5 grams! no need to balance them!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where to source motorcycle blank hubs?-img_0070-jpg