Best coolant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best coolant

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Best coolant

I am looking for feedback on CNC machining coolants, we are currently using Hangsterfer's S-500 CF US., but we are in need of more coolant, so we are exploring the other coolants that people may use and if they suit our needs, we machine Stainless Steel, Mild Steel, Aluminum, Brass, Copper and alot of different plastics from Acetal to PVC. This current coolant leaves thick residue on the machines and on the parts if not washed off right away. We keep the refractometer setting from 7 to 9 as per our sales rep suggested. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a big fan of Blaser Swisslube. Doesn't stink(actually has a nice smell to it, if you take care of it), going on 2 years in 3 seperate sumps, one of them rather large with lots of compartments. Went from 2000 to 4000 series and saw a decent jump in tool life. No rust, no funny things floating in it. If there is a problem, support is available. Good stuff.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm with bubba, we use Blaser 4000 series, we cut everything from stainless, aluminum, brass, hastelloy, p.v.c. etc....no problems with stink or skin irritation......Good stuff!

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Castrol superedge 6759

BTW this topic must have half dozen threads on this forum in the last couple years, please do a search.

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb

I did a search for this information DareBee, I was just checking for any new coolants that machine shops are using at this present time, I have been visited by several sales reps recently that are telling me what I should use and frankly I was hoping to hear it from someone who has used a coolant recently that they seem to like.
    Thank you for time and comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

just trying to help.
    I know I have a tendency to skip threads that are repeats especially when I have participated in them in the past, others may feel the same way.

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I`ve used several types as well and Last year tried liquid ice. It`s clear 100% synthetic biodegradable no odor.Tramp oils seperate from it great on all applications . Made in Mathews, NC. $95.00 for 5 gallon pail mixes 3% on refractometer. Look up liquid ice on the net. Causes no skin irration problems.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee
    just trying to help.
    I know I have a tendency to skip threads that are repeats especially when I have participated in them in the past, others may feel the same way.
    Sort of feel the same way so in this case I did a search as an experiment; 'best coolant' gave 500 hits and the thread or post titles did not really give a good indication of what the content was. I sympathise with someone trying to find some information from past posts and finding they have to dig through 20 pages of information.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We use cutting oil Motorex Swisslube NX15. It doesn't sink and it works very well with all kind of material. There is no skin irritation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Sort of feel the same way so in this case I did a search as an experiment; 'best coolant' gave 500 hits and the thread or post titles did not really give a good indication of what the content was. I sympathise with someone trying to find some information from past posts and finding they have to dig through 20 pages of information.

The search function on this board seems to have "looser" restrictions on what it will give you for any given search... It is a VERY tedious process to weave through all the nonrelevant material..

Danny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee
    I use Castrol superedge 6759

BTW this topic must have half dozen threads on this forum in the last couple years, please do a search.
    The problem for most newbies (I am one) is that we may not even know the correct search terms. I've often wondered why forum software doesn't automatically compile a glossery of common terms and topics so that those new to an area of interest have a ready made overview. It could also automatically grade threads that include the terms based upon replys and views.

A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can recall when one had to haul oneself to the library and use the Dewey decimal system to find stuff - in books that often had to be reserved to get them and this was before there were message boards.

Now, we can go to the computer, on our own time, at any time, day or night and type in even a rudimentary couple of words and find out a lot of stuff about darn near anything.

Part of the DIY process involves searching for information and the learning of HOW to do it. The more you do, the easier it becomes. Sort of like filing only now you have to use god knows who's logic as opposed to your own. Therein lies the challenge.

Sadly however, even with the availability of instant gratification, it isn't instant enough. It has become easier to ask than to look in some instances.

I share the frustration of those who see the same inquiries over and over but also understand how folks not versed in doing research could have a hard time finding stuff.

However, to those in the latter category, I'd simply ask "how did you find this site???" I found it via a protracted Google search. The trick is search refinement which is a learned skill that has to be practiced.

For example, if you google a "power supply", you'll get a myriad of things that are impertinent. If you type in "CNC power supply", different refinement and much more focused.

Interestingly, typing in "power supply CNC" will show somewhat different results than "CNC power supply".

I'd contend that doing a decently focused "industrial coolant" search would provide quite a bit of insight into what's available...

Search refinements such as "grinding coolants", "cutting lubricants", "machining lubricants" would/should also be considered. If at first you don't succeed, try a synonymous name/term.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know how truly unique all these synthetic formulations really are. I've been really happy with Hocut 795. I've just been monitoring the concentration, skimming with a tramp oil skimmer on the same batch of coolant for over a year. Now at over a year old, if I don't use it for a couple of weeks, it does get a bit of the "old tennis shoe" odor to it, but after aerating for a day (using it as per usual), maybe adding a bit of fresh mix to it, it comes back into condition quite well.

I even take what liquid the tramp oil skimmer pulls off, absorb the oil with some paper towel laid on top, and reuse the coolant from that.

http://www.houghtonintl.com

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams
    I can recall ...
    Well yes I can recall alot of archic methods also. Slide rules, mechanical pencils, drawing boards, brace and bit, etc. I am diligent about using google and the search features of all of the forums that I frequent.

Still it seems that the missed opportunity is in the unique character that every forum embodies as an intelligent filter of topics and contributors. Not every participant is equally capable using the tools that surround the internet. A feature like the one I proposed could improve the signal and reduce the noise.

A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Granted, some search engines can be a bit crude and could stand to be better filtered. THus, it helps to do multiple searches and use appropriate "filters" on the input end to (re)focus the search come in handy. This is part of the learned trait I mentioned earlier.

Even so, I'm amazed at what turns up when you do input some stuff. Sadly, due to the ad revenue situations, as well as the search engine logics, it can be difficult to get the info you're looking for. However, i've found stuff on page 9 or 10 of google that sort of popped up deep into the search. Reinsert prior comments about instant gratification (here)....

I've found this search engine thing to be an intriguing part of the challenge in today's internet based society. Namely, how far to you have to dig past Google's priority to find what you're looking for? Seek and yee shall find is my motto....

Took me years to find an out of print book but I finally did, in England (I'm in Michigan) thanks to google and E-bayUK. As hard as it was to find, it was found but it took time and patience to find it. I couldn't have done it without the internet as I tried VERY hard.

Sometimes, that's the most satisfying part - namely, finding the "magic phrase" needed to get you to a piece of data that you're looking for, especially if it is a needle in a hay field.

BTW, Mythbusters showed how "easy" it was to find a needle in a haystack.....

No matter how hard stuff is to find today, it was harder yesterday.

Like when my relatives complained about how they had to walk up hill 10 miles to school - and in both directions - after they pushed the school bus to get it unstuck.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Part of the problem with searches on the zone is that you are allowed only one evry 30 seconds. I can understand the restriction because everything may choke up if it was not there. But it makes it difficult to do a lot of searches using different search terms.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default EZ-Kool Fluid Products, Coolant

Whatever you do don't try Ez-Kool Products as they FOAM considerably at the recommended mixture. You'll have to add double the concentrate inorder to eliminate this issue making the cost double that of it's competitors.

The Val-Cool brand works well for me.

www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

Downloads
    Uploads

we switched from trim microsol 785xt to redline rc2500 heavy. we do mostly stainless. sooo much better and keeps the machines cleaner. no irritants, no bad smell to it. good stuff.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default coolant oils

Hangsterfer's is what we use not sure if its good or not just what we have used for the past 10 years so if you switch and find that some thing else work better
    please let us know thanks
    also when you guys switch coolants what do you do ?
    throw out the old stuff or just start mixing in the new or?
    we are a job shop and run a lot of 4140 304 and then some monel
    and have big machines that have 200 gallon coolant tanks so just not sure if we change coolants what to do with the old unless we just start mixing in the new
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast